Why make the children suffer more?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
:disappoin Do the people really think that by making the children suffer that they will get the government to do something? Now here is a case of a “primary Club de Leones school” being shut down in protest of construction not being completed. I don’t know if this is supposed to be a public school but it carries the name of a big ONG. ???????

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=10765
http://www.hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=66670

This school was built in 1996 and they have been operating in it for 10 years and now they say they can’t teach anymore in these conditions.

We all know that the education system in this country is in sorry shape be it due to the short hours of classes, too many holidays, a lot of bad teachers and administrators and the overall amount of corruption that permeates throughout the system. With all these deficits the children are getting a poor education and on top of that the powers to be decide to make it worse by stopping the teaching.

According to the article in the newspaper HOY it was said, “Manifest? que la decisi?n de los maestros de suspender las labores educativas cuenta con el apoyo de la Asociaci?n de Padres y Amigos de la Escuela y de grupos comunitarios y barriales.”

If the Asociaci?n de Padres y Amigos in Barahona is like the ones here in El Seybo then I can honestly say that they don’t have the welfare of the students in mind in their actions. In El Seybo each school has an Asociaci?n de Padres y Amigos and these are groups of individuals that conduct their business behind closed doors and is not open to the public so it is hard to say what really was discussed behind those closed doors. I also have a hard time accepting that all those people that make up the comunitarios y barriales all decided that they wanted their children to stop going to class.

Getting back to the name of this school. The Lions Club is a very large worldwide ONG and a very good organization. I was president of a chapter in California so I know about this organization and its dealings. As this school carries the Lions Club name I would think that getting that ONG involved in its dealings and construction would not be all that difficult.

But what the heck, let’s make the students suffer for our ineptitudes.

Rick:surprised :mad:

Last edited:

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Is just sickening

To

Rick Snyder said:
:disappoin Do the people really think that by making the children suffer that they will get the government to do something? Now here is a case of a ?primary Club de Leones school? being shut down in protest of construction not being completed. I don?t know if this is supposed to be a public school but it carries the name of a big ONG. ???????

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=10765
http://www.hoy.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=66670

This school was built in 1966 and they have been operating in it for 10 years and now they say they can?t teach anymore in these conditions.

We all know that the education system in this country is in sorry shape be it due to the short hours of classes, too many holidays, a lot of bad teachers and administrators and the overall amount of corruption that permeates throughout the system. With all these deficits the children are getting a poor education and on top of that the powers to be decide to make it worse by stopping the teaching.

According to the article in the newspaper HOY it was said, ?Manifest? que la decisi?n de los maestros de suspender las labores educativas cuenta con el apoyo de la Asociaci?n de Padres y Amigos de la Escuela y de grupos comunitarios y barriales.?

If the Asociaci?n de Padres y Amigos in Barahona is like the ones here in El Seybo then I can honestly say that they don?t have the welfare of the students in mind in their actions. In El Seybo each school has an Asociaci?n de Padres y Amigos and these are groups of individuals that conduct their business behind closed doors and is not open to the public so it is hard to say what really was discussed behind those closed doors. I also have a hard time accepting that all those people that make up the comunitarios y barriales all decided that they wanted their children to stop going to class.

Getting back to the name of this school. The Lions Club is a very large worldwide ONG and a very good organization. I was president of a chapter in California so I know about this organization and its dealings. As this school carries the Lions Club name I would think that getting that ONG involved in its dealings and construction would not be all that difficult.

But what the heck, let?s make the students suffer for our ineptitudes.

Rick:surprised :mad:

The Lions Club is a great organization.... and so many others that help people in need. It's just a shame that the children get put on the back burner so often.:speechles

Within the past week we've talked about how much money donated to hospitals, for heart surgery. Believe me in the process of doing a bypass the surgeon will also include a valve in the procedure to cover their butts and also make more money for themselves and hospital. And this happens in most countries due to money for ..... pharmaceutical companies, politicians.

Foundations and people that did donate money for education? WELL it was probably donated TO education but got lost somewhere downstream..... which is a disgrace to all society.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rick: Maybe you might get in touch with your contacts in the Lions Club? Maybe they can find out just who was handling this donation and what it's status was.is??

Might be intereesting.

HB :D:D

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Hillbilly,
Thank you for that suggestion as the thought never occurred to me. I have no qualms in checking this out but I would first ask the board if anyone is familiar with this school. Does anyone know if it is a public or private school and if it is in fact associated with the Lions Club.

Rick

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Just more incompetence-

I totally agree with your disgust and frustration because the children will suffer in the short run and the long run. Both articles were very brief and for such a radical decision (IMO) made by la Asociaci?n Dominicana de Profesores (ADP) the articles should have been more extensive and detailed. In my opinion this is just another display of incompetence by all parties involved and it shows their inability to understand the overall importance of education. As little as the children are getting to suspend it or stop it completely is only creating a greater set back than the one most Dominican children in the public school system today already face.

Education is imperative. Present and past Dominican administrations disregard the impact that their negligence has on the future of the country. Whether Dominicans in general show interest in education or not is irrelevant. It is the government's responsibility to provide quality education at the public school level. It should be a commodity for those who value it. Those pictures in Dominican Today tell the tale of disgrace. Should schools in the DR be in such dilapidated condition?

Quote from Hoy Digital:
“Nosotros estamos parados por tiempo indefinido, porque el Presidente Leonel Fern?ndez prometi? que en sus obras para Barahona esta escuela era una prioridad, pero eso no ha sucedido”, subray?. Pe?a Batista dijo que los profesores est?n en huelga, “porque en este pa?s las cosas se logran con la lucha. Y es por esos que estamos paralizados por tiempo indefinido”.

This is such an incompetent decision based on the above quote- “porque en este pa?s las cosas se logran con la lucha. Y es por eso que estamos paralizados por tiempo indefinido”. If repairs to the school began in 1996, ten years ago and the same Leonel continues to abandon the cause why would suspending classes as a means to be heard resolve anything. Instead the ADP should channel their energies towards reaching the right people but in the meantime it should not affect the educational welfare of more Dominican students.

Apart from this very poor decision by the ADP the inherent problem of illiteracy prevails in the DR and it shows on all levels. I really question the support of la Asociaci?n de Padres y Amigos because if they have the welfare of the students at heart they should understand first hand what impact this will have. Many Dominicans are semi-illiterate and this illiteracy problems starts from the junior years right through. If anyone is in doubt read the newspaper commentary by Dominicans at the bottom of newspaper articles. Simple words are misspelled. is often confused for [v] and vice versa. No [h] on words that have [h]. My point is the basic writing skills of adults are first or second grade. Foreigners who read the paper see this problem first hand. Why can't the government see it?

-LDG.

BTW- Your persistence regarding this issue is admirable.

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm thinking the govt. knows good and well that education is the future of the children of the DR.
They also know that it's easier to control the uneducated; so it suits them to give lip service to providing education while not doing anything to actually DO what they say.
Maybe lack of education of the children is what makes the govt. sure at least they'll be around in the children's future.
mkohn
conspiracy buff hat on today