Best calling cards to call from Florida to DR?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Does anyone know which are the best calling cards to use when calling from Florida(orlando) to DR (to landlines and cell)
Thanks

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Robert said:
Try these people, I think about 4-5c per minute to the DR.

Cheap Calling Cards
Interesting link. It points out another gimmick the phone cards use. I never realized that some of them book in 3 minute increments or add on taxes (15-17%).

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
JC171 said:
Does anyone know which are the best calling cards to use when calling from Florida(orlando) to DR (to landlines and cell)
That answer depends on whether you are calling a land line or a cell phone, will that person always be there every time you call (some cards have connection fees), how much time you will be on for each call (some cards bill in 3 minute increments, others in 20 second increments), and other factors.

You need to go into you local colmado and read the sheets for each card to determine which is best for you calling pattern.

Also, when buying the cards, be sure to understand the "Maintenance Fee" structure.

If you are making your calls from your house phone, you may want to check out www.kissld.com , they charge 12 cents a minute to the DR (landline or cell), 3 cents a minute within the US, have a service charge of $3 a month, and bill in 6 second increments.

BluKris

May 19, 2005
I hope this helps

I realize you mentioned that you're calling from Orlando, but I use Miami Mundo-which has a local number when calling from Orlando, so I can only imgaine that you should be able to find it.It provides roughly 43mins to a cell;and 245mins to landline.
Also Universal(the yellow card, not "Universal Talk") provides the same minutes with a local Orlando number.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
BluKris said:
I realize you mentioned that you're calling from Orlando, but I use Miami Mundo-which has a local number when calling from Orlando, so I can only imgaine that you should be able to find it.It provides roughly 43mins to a cell;and 245mins to landline.
Is this for a $2, $5, or $10 card?

mamilinda

Feb 27, 2006
Phone cards suck. I got a deal with my local phone company (sbc) - I can call there for .17 a minute. I've found that it is cheaper than a calling card due to the crazy per connect fees.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mamilinda said:
Phone cards suck. I got a deal with my local phone company (sbc) - I can call there for .17 a minute. I've found that it is cheaper than a calling card due to the crazy per connect fees.
I agree with you assessment of phone cards.

Is your SBC deal from your home phone or your cell phone? If it's the former you can do better with KissLD.

mamilinda

Feb 27, 2006
It's from my home phone. When I call from my cell phone, I use a calling card - because it's like .69/minute to talk - which is too high. Tell me more about KissLD

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Thanks for the link, I can see the link you posted !

I actually prefer calling cards, because the card I use "Fabuloso NY" gives me 22 minutes for $2 (to cell phone), making it easier to stick talking for that amount of time and not spending too much money. I use the entire time, one phone call only.

A while ago I had bought a $2 card in NJ and got 40-50 minutes to a DR cell phone, but it doesn't work anymore.

So right now I'm looking for a better deal !

Sep 19, 2005
check the clock the next time you use a card and it says you have 43 minutes on that $5 card! When 36 minutes has passed your call will end!

happens on every card I have ever used.. the best card i have found from NY was EXTREME and said I had 1 hour for my $5 but the calls ends in about 45 minutes...because of fees... and they tell you the time you have AFTER you are connected to the actual number you are calling.....

what I hate is the dropped calls that make you call back..sometimes using up more fees......I have made calls with CRAZY and EXTREME where I got the answering machine and then called back and the voice said i had one minute less than I did before...so they were charging actual time not in huge blocks.

bob

Sep 19, 2005
Robert said:
Try these people, I think about 4-5c per minute to the DR.

Cheap Calling Cards

robert those are land line quotes!!!!!!!! they dont SAY what a cell would cost.....leaves it wide open...on the cards I have used that give me a real 45 minutes for my $5, they say they would give me over 3 hours when i call a land line.
3 hours on a $5 card is 2.77 cents a minute!!!!!!I have never talked to a land line for 3 hours so i dont know..I imagine it might be a tad less like the cell numbers give

the best card on that web site is double that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Bob:

You do realize the aforementioned link is a paying advertiser!
Is that nice?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
laurapasinifan said:
robert those are land line quotes!!!!!!!! they dont SAY what a cell would cost.....leaves it wide open...on the cards I have used that give me a real 45 minutes for my $5, they say they would give me over 3 hours when i call a land line.
3 hours on a $5 card is 2.77 cents a minute!!!!!!I have never talked to a land line for 3 hours so i dont know..I imagine it might be a tad less like the cell numbers give

the best card on that web site is double that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

I'm giving you options, I never use phone cards, I live here.
Email them, I'm sure they can answer your questions.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Tamborista said:
Bob:

You do realize the aforementioned link is a paying advertiser!
Is that nice?

Actually, they are not.
They are a calling card website that runs one of the best affiliate programs on the net.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
ElvisNYC said:
Thanks for the link, I can see the link you posted !

I actually prefer calling cards, because the card I use "Fabuloso NY" gives me 22 minutes for $2 (to cell phone), making it easier to stick talking for that amount of time and not spending too much money. I use the entire time, one phone call only.

A while ago I had bought a $2 card in NJ and got 40-50 minutes to a DR cell phone, but it doesn't work anymore.

So right now I'm looking for a better deal !

Hey Buddy :)

I just had lunch with a Dominican friend of mine.

I asked him what type of calling card he uses when calling the Dominican Republic from NYC.

He told me that he uses a calling card called "La Habladora". It is a $2 card. And if you call from the U.S. to a "cell phone" in the DR, you will have around 35 minutes. And you have more minutes (I forgot how many minutes) if you call home (land line).

Although this calling card is $2, if you buy six of them, it will be only $10 (instead of $12). He buys them at stores in Washington Heights.

He told me that the restriction is that if you use this $2 card, then you need to use it all up within 24 hours.

I hope you find this helpful.

My friend and I had Chinese food. :chinese:

But I prefer Dominican food. :bunny: :D

Take care.

P.S. This is what the card looks like.

oqj7ug.jpg

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
mamilinda said:
It's from my home phone. When I call from my cell phone, I use a calling card - because it's like .69/minute to talk - which is too high. Tell me more about KissLD
They are a long distanc eprovider. They charge 12 cents a minute to the DR (landline or cell), 3 cents a minute within the US, have a service charge of $3 a month (you can get this waived if you sign someone else up), and bill in 6 second increments.

Since most of my calls are relatively short, the 6 second billing increment is a real saver for me.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
what I hate is the dropped calls that make you call back..sometimes using up more fees......I have made calls with CRAZY and EXTREME where I got the answering machine and then called back and the voice said i had one minute less than I did before...so they were charging actual time not in huge blocks.
Bob, why haven't you signed up for KissLD. Because of the 6 second billing increment, those answering machine calls would only cost you .02.