TV coverage for World Baseball Classic

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
ESPN to air World Baseball Classic
Viewers the world over will be able to watch the 39 games of the inaugural World Baseball Classic on ESPN. ESPN, Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association reached an agreement to provide the company with exclusive US rights to the event scheduled for March. In the Dominican Republic, the Spanish division of ESPN, ESPN Deportes will offer all 39 games, highlighted by the semifinals and finals live on ESPN Deportes March 18 and March 20.

Locally, CDN, Channel 37, will feature the DR games.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Time Warner is Strange...

Dolores said:
ESPN to air World Baseball Classic
Viewers the world over will be able to watch the 39 games of the inaugural World Baseball Classic on ESPN. ESPN, Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association reached an agreement to provide the company with exclusive US rights to the event scheduled for March. In the Dominican Republic, the Spanish division of ESPN, ESPN Deportes will offer all 39 games, highlighted by the semifinals and finals live on ESPN Deportes March 18 and March 20.

Locally, CDN, Channel 37, will feature the DR games.

ESPN Deportes costs an additional $4.95/month - which I gladly agreed to over the phone since I'll be able to watch all the WBC games. I also ordered ESPN High Def (an additional $8.95/mo) since it'll be so cool to watch baseball on HD. After about 30 minutes ESPN HD was on - cool!
But where's ESPN Deportes? Searched channels 1 - 1002 nothing. Went on-line to search nothing! Called the TW back - "Hey what channel is ESPN Deportes on?" TW: "Oh, that chanel's not yet available." Huh?

It's been 3 weeks and it's still not available (at least not in NYC). Now I'm getting nervous since the games start in 3 days.

If anyone can shed some light on ESPN Deportes - please do.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Santa Brito of ESPN emailed me in response:

"ESPN Deportes is not available on TW at the moment, however, the network is available in New York via Cablevision and on satellite via DISH Latino. I also suggest calling 800-DEPORTES and requesting the network. By the way, Juan Marichal will be calling the Dominican Republic games on ESPN Deportes. "

You can write to her directly at Santa.Brito@espn.com

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
This guy is the reason why I will be watching the games!!! :D

Big Pappi, David Ortiz!!! Boston must sign him to a long-term deal!!! :cool: :bunny:

ostyr8.jpg

osu06s.jpg

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
And???

Cleef said:
osu06s.jpg

Am I seeing things, or does his shirt say "Dominicana"?

What is the problem with the shirt saying Dominicana? The team is representing La Republica Dominicana!

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Dolores said:
Santa Brito of ESPN emailed me in response:

"ESPN Deportes is not available on TW at the moment, however, the network is available in New York via Cablevision and on satellite via DISH Latino. I also suggest calling 800-DEPORTES and requesting the network. By the way, Juan Marichal will be calling the Dominican Republic games on ESPN Deportes. "

You can write to her directly at Santa.Brito@espn.com

Gracias Dolores, I'll write her and see what she says - I don't think I'll go to the extreme of switching to satellite TV.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:
osu06s.jpg

Am I seeing things, or does his shirt say "Dominicana"?

Hi Cleef :)

It looks like DRPAWA already answered your question.

I found the picture from the Boston Globe. And the picture was taken around a week ago.

Take care.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I thought it was an even smaller piece of coral east?

DRPAWA said:
What is the problem with the shirt saying Dominicana? The team is representing La Republica Dominicana!
With the full name "La Republica Dominicana" it's just fine.

I just figured with the board police all but executing those that call that lumpy pile of coral "the Dominican" that people would be going ape-shirts with such a shirt.

I thought there was an island east called Dominicana. It's all just so confusing.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Cleef said:
With the full name "La Republica Dominicana" it's just fine.

I just figured with the board police all but executing those that call that lumpy pile of coral "the Dominican" that people would be going ape-shirts with such a shirt.

I thought there was an island east called Dominicana. It's all just so confusing.

Cleef, that island is Dominica. But all the confusion is understandable. I was looking over the baseball caps with someone here at work and when it came to the one for DR it really reads RD and he thought it was ridiculous since it's not Republic Dominican, blah, blah, blah. Of course you and I both know that it's RD because it's intended to read... Republica Dominicana!

?What? Lumpy pile of coral? Jump off a cliff Cleef! :)

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
trina said:
It's called Dominica. But I hear what you are saying. To me, it's even funnier if you think of it from the viewpoint of a manly man like Papi being called a "Dominicana"...kinda reminds me of Barry Bond's stint, donning a wig and impersonating Paula Abdul. Oooohhhh, what a terrible-looking shemale!

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13985421.htm

0,,5468717,00.jpeg

sfgate.jpg

Trina, it's bad enough to see the picture in the paper while commuting. There's no need to get so graphic and post those pictures!!! Actually, I think the look suits his steroid affected voice!! heheheheh!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Oh, indulge me! I had to see it to believe it. Besides, don't you think it was rather clever of me to sneak that in, and keep it Dominican-related? ;) :classic:

Last edited: