Is this a revolt? Where's everyone going?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Players are starting to drop out in bunches.

If I was a player now committed to play, and all of my expected teammates are dropping out, I'd be a bit upset about that.

I'll admit that I'm taking this from a Red Sox perspective because the catcher (Varitek) has a huge role to fill on the team. But the Dominicana team has lost the most so far.

Those Far East teams are looking like better and better bets. If someone has the old and new numbers, I'd love to see what's changed.

My conspiracy theory of course is that this is the players way of serving Bud Selig his overdue lunch. There's been no bigger proponent - especially publically

Hey Bud, this :devious: is for you!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cleef,

For those of us not following very closely, give us an update on who is dropping out from which teams.

Larry

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I'll start, here are the team drop-outs that I can think of (plus a little searching on the net):

DR:
Manny Ramirez
Vladimir Guerrero (suffered the loss of three cousins on Sunday)
Aramis Ramirez
Miguel Olivo
Pedro Martinez (toe injury, may play in second round, may not play at all)
Sammy Sosa (no big deal)

USA:
Wagner (very good closer)
Sabathia (with his withdrawal, the US has only 3 starting pitchers - bad news for the US team)
Boone (retired!)
Kip Wells (surgery)
David Bell
Randy Johnson
Barry Bonds

Venezuela:
Jose Castillo
Melvin Mora

Puerto Rico:
Jose Cruz

Japan:
Matsui

Taiwan:
Wang

Mexico:
Garciaparra

There are more than this, feel free to add to my list!

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Miguel just told me that it was announced Pedro will not be playing at all. sigh.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
So the line-ups for each country looks much different compared to two weeks ago. :rolleyes:

The Korean team has all of its core star players. But they will still get beaten by at least 15 runs to the United States, The Dominican Republic, and Venezuela (if they meet in the next round). lol :bunny:

I'm a Red Sox fan. So if any of my Red Sox players (for example, David Ortiz of the DR, Varitek of the US or Gonzalez of Venezuela) get hurt or seriously injured, then I am going to get a heart attack.

And ask any Korean what they think of this World Baseball Event and I bet their answer will be this, "Baseball is nice. But I can't wait until the World Cup Soccer Tournament in Germany!!!" :chinese:

Carry on. :classic:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
trina said:
Miguel just told me that it was announced Pedro will not be playing at all. sigh.

WOW, that's a huge blow.

No Manny and no Pedro. *sigh*
But I'm sure the Red Sox and Mets GMs are happy.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Dammit. Add Luis Castillo and Cordero to the long list of dropouts for the DR.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Venezuela, Cuba, and Japan are looking better and better. :cry: Who's gonna pitch, besides Colon? I love Lima for entertainment value, but how's he going to do in the series? The US team is left with only 3 starting pitchers, too. It's gonna be interesting...

BugsBunnyWCV

Feb 2, 2006
www.winster.us
well, this is not looking good.. Now we won't have Manny, Vlad, Castillo, Aramis Ramirez, Francisco Cordero, etc etc etc.... The Classic wont be the same.

The excuse of Vlad Guerrero is not a good one, He stated about the death of 3 cousin, but he could not fly for the services, what is that? Roger Clemens pitched for Houston the same day his father (I believed) died.

Manny is another one. He started saying for a long time that the DR Left field was for him, and look what he did.

I don't think we will win. Our OF will be: Willy Mo Pe?a. Moises Alou & Willy Taveras.

Let see what is going to happen.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
BugsBunnyWCV said:

The excuse of Vlad Guerrero is not a good one, He stated about the death of 3 cousin, but he could not fly for the services, what is that? Roger Clemens pitched for Houston the same day his father (I believed) died.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I thought Vladimir Guerrero was in the DR for the funeral - if he isn't there now, I'm sure he'll be there for the wake. Besides, everyone deals with death differently. Perhaps Vlad was closer to his cousins than Clemens was to his father. I am wondering if you are not familiar with the Dominican culture to make the above statement. Family is everything to Dominicans, they mourn death for days/months/years. Vladi couldn't put his heart into the game, and I respect and admire his decision.

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Alex Gonzalez out for VZ

Not a big deal, they have plenty of depth at SS; Omar Vizquel, Carlos Guillen.

Apparently he arrived for practice, found out he wasn't playing, got back in his car and drove to the airport.

He was really excited to play, we'll likely hear more soon.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Cleef said:

Apparently he arrived for practice, found out he wasn't playing, got back in his car and drove to the airport.

This is the only information I found from the Boston Globe (about Alex not playing for his country).

"Although it was unclear if he was cut, Gonz?lez might have figured his playing time would be insufficient, with shortstops Omar Vizquel and Carlos Guill?n on Venezuela's 30-man roster."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/03/04/gonz225lez_makes_quick_return/

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Cleef said:

So what happens when he pulls this in Boston? LOL!!!

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
BugsBunnyWCV said:

Are you serious?

Do you understand the depth of the concept of the Latin family? It's apples and oranges compared to the American family.

I respect Vlad's decision, having lost close family members myself. These were 3 of his first cousins, the people he probably grew up with. The last thing on his mind probably is baseball.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
toneloc24 said:
So what happens when he pulls this in Boston? LOL!!!

Alex Gonzalez better not pull this in Boston!!! lol :D

Alez Gonzalez plays very good defense. And I can see him making tons of double plays with Mark Loretta. :cool: