Observation from the Frontier !

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Greetings from the Frontier.

At the request of your distinguished moderator I have been asked to share my thoughts on the subject of the Environment and points of discussion within this forum from the perspective of the SW or what we like to call the Frontier.

As time allows, I will gladly offer up my two cents worth on these matters and hope you all find some merit in our observations.

First Observation from the Frontier:

Know where to ask the right question or at least close to the right question.

Now, being one who does not really understand all the bells and whistles of the renewable energy game but enjoys the concept and its advantages I looked for and found some folks who do. This was over 25 years ago and they still provide the answers to my engineers on the various projects we have undertaken.

So my first contribution to this forum and to your " Green Team " is my research source and good friends at Real Goods / GAIAM .

www.realgoods.com is where you want to check in with these leaders in the industry of Renewable Energy Technologies. Suggest you all pop in and visit the site.

Second Observation: If you can somehow get your hands on a copy of their "Solar Living Source Book - The Complete Guide to Renewable Energy Technologies & Sustainable Living " GET ONE !!! My copy is the Eleventh Edition, and there might be a newer one.

My edition is 590 pages of information, tech data and equipment that even the novice can understand and those in the know consider a BIBLE.

In closing, we are actively working on various projects and ideas here on the Frontier that might be of interest to this forum and will, as I mentioned earlier as time allows, drop in and offer our thoughts and updates.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
KFrancis,

Now that you mention solar power, I remember many years ago, I accompanied a representative group of provincial community organizations, including FUNDASUR, and the former Ordenador de Lom?, (now Environment Minister), Dr. Maximiliano Puig, for the inauguration of a solar powered acueduct in a community by the name of Charco Prieto - Leonardo. A commitee of local campesino was formed to look after and maintain the installation. Since you are in the area (Paraiso), you must be familiar with this solar powered acueduct. What have been the problems associated with it?, after about 8 years operation?...

-

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Out of sight out of mind.

Have no recent first hand knowledge of current status but am headed in that direction today. Will put out an inquiry and will schedule a visit to the site in the near future. About the time you mention I was in the US recovering from a propane explosion I was in and was not in country at the time. Will be back to you on this one Mirador.

Spend a lot of time in Paraiso and the beautiful river valley behind which runs 27km from the ocean back into the moutains toward Polo. The Paraiso area is well named and folks miss alot when they just zip on by on their way to Perdernales. But that is one of the secrets of the Larimar Coast and we like it the way it is.

However, this is the Environment Forum, and I was asked to share our thoughts from this neck of the woods, even the secrets.

So, if any of you folks want a good 4 x 4 day trip to see things you might not see elsewhere on this beautiful island go from Paraiso to Polo back to Enriquillo through the mountains. And believe it or not, going the other way is a whole different experience in sight and splendor. The old woodsman's adage of " always look behind you when traveling in the woods for the trail back is always different " applys here, BIG TIME. Enriquillo to Polo to Paraiso is also a great trip also.

kFrancisco de Cabral

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
How are you charging your system now !

Can not help you on the battery recycling ?? for the North coast, we are over the mountains in the SW.

But am interested in how you are charging up your inverter / battery system at this time ? Land line on the grid ??

Reason for asking is to bring forth a basic alternative energy problem faced by most of us here in the RD. Not only do we not get power at all times when we do get it, it is not all there.

Everyone, even those not using inverters and batteries in their systems, should do a voltage check of the voltage actually coming into your homes. The typical voltage will be somewhere between 95 - 100v, the more rural the area maybe 90 - 95v. This can wear out your everyday applainces quite easily. Wonder why that stero system locked up one day ??

This was the case when we installed a 3.5 inverter with an 8 battery pack in the house in Cabral. Right after installation I was finding that I was not getting a good deep charge and not quite making it from one power outage to the next. Ran the voltage test. Not enough ummmp in the lines to really charge the batteries back up.

Solution can be the same for both those on alternative power systems or those just wanting 110v to run 110v appliances.

What we did was get a $11,000RD voltage reduction transformer for the 220v water pump line to feed 110-15v into the inverter's battery charger and problem was solved. Charging time was reduced and strain on the battery system also. I can now tell when the inverter kicks in because my desk lamp brightens up. Battery system is putting out more voltage than the land lines.

An Observation.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Voltage boosters

Many years ago I bought something called in the market 'Aumentador de Voltage' (Voltage booster) which increased my home voltage back to normal. The problem started when Felucho Jimenez (now Tourism Minister) moved into the community, by buying a large rural property next to the river, where he installed his own personnal zoo and weekend retreat. He also installed his own personal electrical line from the highway, including transformers. The result was that the voltage in all the neighboring homes dropped to around 80v. CDE did not want to fix the problem, and Felucho was not willing to share his line with the neighbors...

-

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Felucho-typical "come-solo" ...was like that as a student, too....me,me,me

HB

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Believe it came from the Capital but should be available from any larger electrical supplier. It is nothing fancy, just does the job. I will check the unit for its Brand name and spec. info and will post them later.

kF

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
220 / 120 Reduction Unit info for Windeguy, et al.

Sorry for the delay. Had a friend in town closing on some oceanfront property we helped him secure for a 5ac family compound. Had to workout the maritime zone for the 40ft bluffs for placement of the first house.

Here is the info on the Reduction transformer we have here in Cabral.

Reductor 220 / 120 5KVa

J.J. Transformadores S.A.
Calle 4ta # 1, Los Mameyes
Santo Domingo
788-0171 / 592-8378