an Ecological Vacation

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We're planning to take a week or 8 days as an ecological vacation. Three of those days are booked for Samana and the projects on the road there. Four days are available... what are the must-do's or the must-see's? Anywhere in the country... We're interested in anywhere where good work is being done ecologically and community based, ideally rural. Perhaps community and ecology integration type projects, where ecologically sustainable practices have a real positive impact on the living conditions of people. Also in eco tourism in the true sense, i.e., a blend of ecologically sound and socially sound and sustainable tourism.

Which ecological projects in the Dominican Republic do you admire most and have a sustainable impact?

Birdwatching is out...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In Samana there is a reef effort run by some Japanese in the Las Galeras area.
In Bayahibe, there is the Blue Flag effort that is working well.
In Punta Cana, there is the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation and all the work they are doing with the foreign universities.
In Sosua, there is the work with the coral reef planting in Sosua Beach.

I'll ask and try to find a few more.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Christa, why not check in on Plan Sierra and its surroundings near SFM, like Loma Quita Espuela? Rural, ecological, community-based, combating erosion and deforestation while trying to provide profitable agriculture to the local farmers...LQE also has hiking trails. The LQE foundation has invited the Green Team to visit it some time... just an idea.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Keith R said:
hmmm, if you both know of it, any chance of getting a blog about it from one or both? :cheeky: :rolleyes: :cool: :D

Keith
always looking for a good blog LOL

Last time we were near there, there was no time to check in. Chiri has been urging me to definitely visit. So, this time we are simply going on vacation. No mixing business with pleasure, no split focus, just simply visiting ecologically and economically sound projects, learning and observing.

I'll take the camera Keith, a laptop and a bloggers mind.. ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Of course, Damajagua also. Valle de Bao and Pico Duarte are worthy visits.

In Barahona, El Choco in Bahoruco.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Chris said:
I'll take the camera Keith, a laptop and a bloggers mind.. ;)
Well, I certainly can't ask for more than that! Thanks, Christa.

I wish other vacationers running across spots with an ecological dimension could send in pictures and commentary about their discoveries to the Green Team. The better such places and projects are known, the more chance of promoting real eco-tourism in the DR...