DR's baseball players are PUZZIES.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
DR team weakens
With news that three vital members of the DR team will not be attending the Baseball World Classic Championship, the team has been significantly weakened. Vladimir Guerrero won't be attending because three of his cousins died tragically; Manny Ramirez, because he just joined the Red Sox; and Luis Castillo recently suffered injuries, according to a report in Listin Diario. Pedro Martinez won't be able to play due to problems with one of the toes on his right foot.
DR1 News

Se quejan como ninas.

Tambien son mas espuma que chocolate.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Must you genereralize like that...what about the ones that are playing, according you their Puzzies too?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I do not blame players like Vladimir Guerrero (because of the loss of his three cousins) or Pedro Martinez (because of a toe injury).

And also, players like Matsui, and Wang were pressured from their General Managers not to go.

And I "think" Manny was also pressured from Red Sox management not to go.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why Should Dominican Baseball Players Be Any Different Than All Other Dominicans????

If it is "work",and they are not going to be paid,they won't go!!!

As far as the managers "Pressuring" players not to go,did you just make that up,or do you actually have some inside info to share with us??????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Criss Colon said:

As far as the managers "Pressuring" players not to go,did you just make that up,or do you actually have some inside info to share with us??????

Reminds me of HB's joke about offering a Dominican a job: http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28363

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Criss Colon said:

It is well known all over the media (especially in NYC) that Steinbrenner and Cashman do not want their players in the World Classic. But despite the pressure, A-Rod, Damon, Bernie, and Jeter decided to represent their countries.

As for Manny, I do not know. That is why I said, "I think". Maybe management did pressure Manny, maybe they did not.

Why would I want to make things up?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Won't make a bit of difference.

Except for Manny Ramirez, they all seem to have legitimate reasons not to attend. We already have enough solid hitters so his selfish decision won't matter much. Although, I think Pedro Martinez could have made an effort to be there, if nothing else, for moral support. The thread of him pitching might have upset the Venezuelan rotation to our advantage.
Winning this first game will be crucial in the sense that it can give either team an enormous psychological edge for the rest of the series.
In any case, if we can beat Johan Santana, and it will be tough, we stand a very good chance to meet the US in the finals.
Venezuela won't be pulling punches, sure hope Dominicana won't either.

PS. Vlady may still show up. Who knows?.....

Predictions: We'll win a very close first game and Ramirez will be declared "persona non grata" in DR.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
You know you're dreaming, right?

It's great to be nationalistic, and all. BUT....You're joking, you know that.

Pedro JUST started throwing off a mound. He'd be no good to the team. Don't blame him, the team knows he can't go. Bartolo Colon also won't be much of a help.

Since Manny being Manny has been so accpeted before, why should this decision be any different? Don't throw any hate his way now. At least, he's been consistent in this type of behavior.

As for Venezuela, I've been saying this for months. They ARE a better team. You do not have to agree with me. They are taught fundamentals and team play, even their stars are more selfless. Their "B" team already beat the DR "B" team earlier this year, on ...fundamentals. Fielding.

Now, Venezuela has much stronger pitching, fielding, and intangibles than the DR, as does several other teams. DR has stronger hitting only. Johan Santana, Carlos Zambrano, Fredy Garcia, and K Rod alone will shut down the DR. Even if the DR scores 4-5 runs, they will give up 8 to Venezuela, whose line-up is nothing to scoff at either.

Don Juan said:
Except for Manny Ramirez, they all seem to have legitimate reasons not to attend. We already have enough solid hitters so his selfish decision won't matter much. Although, I think Pedro Martinez could have made an effort to be there, if nothing else, for moral support. The thread of him pitching might have upset the Venezuelan rotation to our advantage.
Winning this first game will be crucial in the sense that it can give either team an enormous psychological edge for the rest of the series.
In any case, if we can beat Johan Santana, and it will be tough, we stand a very good chance to meet the US in the finals.
Venezuela won't be pulling punches, sure hope Dominicana won't either.

PS. Vlady may still show up. Who knows?.....

Predictions: We'll win a very close first game and Ramirez will be declared "persona non grata" in DR.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Venezuela IS a big thread.......

......to DR's chances of making the finals or even the semifinals. I certainly do not underestimate nor belittle their chances of going all the way. This is why I said: "if we can get past Santana" and the rest of your very strong pitching staff, DR may play the US in the finals. But it is a big "if".
According to impartial, knowledgeable folks, Venezuela is seeded #3, right behind US & DR. So don't discount our chances either. Do not assume future outcomes based on past performance.
You must remember that starting pitchers are limited to a certain number of pitches. Even if Santana no-hit the DR for the first 3 innings, surely we'll get to your relievers. We're not seeded #2 for nothing!
Your team will have to get past us to get anywhere and, contrary to op's remark, we're no pussies. I assure you.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Don Juan said:
......to DR's chances of making the finals or even the semifinals. I certainly do not underestimate nor belittle their chances of going all the way. This is why I said: "if we can get past Santana" and the rest of your very strong pitching staff, DR may play the US in the finals. But it is a big "if".
According to impartial, knowledgeable folks, Venezuela is seeded #3, right behind US & DR. So don't discount our chances either. Do not assume future outcomes based on past performance.
You must remember that starting pitchers are limited to a certain number of pitches. Even if Santana no-hit the DR for the first 3 innings, surely we'll get to your relievers. We're not seeded #2 for nothing!
Your team will have to get past us to get anywhere and, contrary to op's remark, we're no pussies. I assure you.

Very good point.

In the first round, the starting pitchers are limited to only 65 pitches. So after the starting pitchers are out of the game, anything can happen.

Anyway, Korea beat Japan 3-2!!! :chinese:

Now let's see the showdown between the Dominican Republic and Venezuela!!! :bunny:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
toneloc24 said:
It's great to be nationalistic, and all. BUT....You're joking, you know that.

Pedro JUST started throwing off a mound. He'd be no good to the team. Don't blame him, the team knows he can't go. Bartolo Colon also won't be much of a help.

Since Manny being Manny has been so accpeted before, why should this decision be any different? Don't throw any hate his way now. At least, he's been consistent in this type of behavior.

As for Venezuela, I've been saying this for months. They ARE a better team. You do not have to agree with me. They are taught fundamentals and team play, even their stars are more selfless. Their "B" team already beat the DR "B" team earlier this year, on ...fundamentals. Fielding.

Now, Venezuela has much stronger pitching, fielding, and intangibles than the DR, as does several other teams. DR has stronger hitting only. Johan Santana, Carlos Zambrano, Fredy Garcia, and K Rod alone will shut down the DR. Even if the DR scores 4-5 runs, they will give up 8 to Venezuela, whose line-up is nothing to scoff at either.

Let's hope those words taste just as good as they did when Boston beat the Yankees to win the World Series! (Yes, I will stoop that low, ;) just to remind you that you have been known to be wrong and eat your words :classic: ) I'm not discounting Venezuela, either, but I'm hoping the DR comes out on top.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
trina said:
Let's hope those words taste just as good as they did when Boston beat the Yankees to win the World Series! (Yes, I will stoop that low, ;) just to remind you that you have been known to be wrong and eat your words :classic: ) I'm not discounting Venezuela, either, but I'm hoping the DR comes out on top.

2004,..... I will never forget that year!!! :bunny: ;)

I hope these guys can bring Boston another Championship!!! :classic:

qrg3mp.jpg

qrg55d.jpg

qrg5f6.jpg

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
1st of all, I'm not Venezuelan. LOL!!! But I can be objective. I do not know as much about Cuba's or Puerto Rico's team to comment as much, outside of saying they are largely being ignored. However, outside of hitting, each of these countries have more complete teams than the DR.

2nd, if Santana no-hit the DR for 3 innings, why would it take 65 pitches? You're acting like the DR is a group of patient hitters. Plus, Santana isn't the only quality pitcher on the VZ squad. He's just the ace. There's still Carlos Zambrano, Fredy Garcia, Gustavo Chacin, before K-Rod. For the DR, after Bartolo Colon, who's pitching again? Remember that Colon racks up pitch counts in the 1st 3 innings of every game. Been doing that for years.

Regarding the "puzzies" statement, take that up directly with the OP. I never said that.

I respect the DR's team, but I do think there is A LOT of hype. Just like the media annually hyping up the Dallas Mavericks. All offense, but can't stop anybody on defense, which is where ALL games (baseball, football, futbol, basketball, hockey, etc.) are won.

My prediction is the USA vs. Cuba or Venezuela.

Don Juan said:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
trina said:

I'm gonna refrain from BoSox/Yankee statements for this baseball season after this response.

You win 1 title after 86 years, and think you're on equal footing with the NY Yankees? The 2000, 1999, 1998, 1996 teams still are greater than the 2004 BoSox win. The 1998 team alone won 125 games, never done before, never to be repeated.

Yes, I can be wrong, but my team has won 6 WS titles in MY lifetime, and I'm only in my 30s. 1 BoSox WS win in 86 years? YOU'VE been a helluva lot more wrong than me. Oh yeah, the countdown's already started for the next WS title in Boston, 84 more years to go, huh? LOL!!!

Dare I say this, Robinson Cano has a much stronger chance at winning a WS title in 2006 than David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez will.

Back to the WCS. Stop overlooking Cuba and Venezuela. The DR MUST pass these two countries along with Puerto Rico before smelling the USA. The DR is an offensive juggernaut, with little else. They can be shutdown to play small ball. Who'll be willing to do that?

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Just for giggles

toneloc24 said:
I'm gonna refrain from BoSox/Yankee statements for this baseball season after this response.

You win 1 title after 86 years, and think you're on equal footing with the NY Yankees? The 2000, 1999, 1998, 1996 teams still are greater than the 2004 BoSox win. The 1998 team alone won 125 games, never done before, never to be repeated.

Yes, I can be wrong, but my team has won 6 WS titles in MY lifetime, and I'm only in my 30s. 1 BoSox WS win in 86 years? YOU'VE been a helluva lot more wrong than me. Oh yeah, the countdown's already started for the next WS title in Boston, 84 more years to go, huh? LOL!!!

Dare I say this, Robinson Cano has a much stronger chance at winning a WS title in 2006 than David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez will.

Back to the WCS. Stop overlooking Cuba and Venezuela. The DR MUST pass these two countries along with Puerto Rico before smelling the USA. The DR is an offensive juggernaut, with little else. They can be shutdown to play small ball. Who'll be willing to do that?

Much rather seen...... pulling a rabbit out of that hat against the Cubs..... just to make it more hilarious.... of how good their organization is. :dead:

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
In Orlando

toneloc24 said:

I was going to go to the game.....DR dropping players and no pitching is not really worth my hour and a half drive to watch them lose.

Don't get me wrong I want to go see them BUT ..... I will not spend 200 scalping a Ticket without seeing who should've represented every country to begin with.:eek:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Toneloc, Let's look at the whole picture, please.

You focus on pitching as though that's the only element needed to win ball games.
you keep talking about discipline and "team Work" as though DR does not live up to it & you feel that the "nationalistic fervor" does not exist in Dominicana and Venezuela has a monopoly on it.:tired:
For your information, games are won by a combination of both, pitching AND hitting. Do not dismiss the latter as inconsequential. This DR roster has much better hitters than your VZ team. We may be limited by your pitching, but you ain't got no hitters either. At least none that can compare to a "Pujols" or an "Ortiz"
As I stated earlier, Santana and Zambrano aren't going to pitch every single inning of every single game, and even if they did, our awesome players will make a mockery of your team.... Good luck, you'll need it!

Prediction: Game one. DR 10, Venezuela 4.

Last edited:

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Sorry to butt in.....buttttttt

Don Juan said:
You focus on pitching as though that's the only element needed to win ball games.
you keep talking about discipline and "team Work" as though DR does not live up to it & you feel that the "nationalistic fervor" does not exist in Dominicana and Venezuela has a monopoly on it.:tired:
For your information, games are won by a combination of both, pitching AND hitting. Do not dismiss the latter as inconsequential. This DR roster has much better hitters than your VZ team. We may be limited by your pitching, but you ain't got no hitters either. At least none that can compare to a "Pujols" or an "Ortiz"
As I stated earlier, Santana and Zambrano aren't going to pitch every single inning of every single game, and even if they did, our awesome players will make a mockery of your team.... Good luck, you'll need it!

Just thinking the money I would have spent on scalping ticket?

How does straight sound to you ?;) ..... p.m. please if interested.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
easygoin said:
I was going to go to the game.....DR dropping players and no pitching is not really worth my hour and a half drive to watch them lose.

Don't get me wrong I want to go see them BUT ..... I will not spend 200 scalping a Ticket without seeing who should've represented every country to begin with.:eek:

Yeah, me and a couple of buddies were gonna drive down from Atlanta, but ESPN is enough, esp. when the best players for the DR are not playing.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
You belittle pitching as if it's irrelevant, you are so wrong

Ok genious, name for me, after Bartolo Colon, which DR pitchers will hold any opposing team's offense to 4 runs? The DR has NO pitching. Fielding either. Check the roster.

The ENTIRE basis of your argument is solely on offense, which means you already lost. Pujols, Tejada, Ortiz, Reyes, Soriano, et al are major individual talents. Who's gonna play outfield now that both Manny and Vlad are out? Sammy Sosa? LOL!!!

YOU have NOT taken pitching into account. I'll give you that the DR can put up 10 runs, but they'll give up 12.

Booby Abreu, Miguel Cabrera, Melvin Mora, Magglio Ordonez, Ramon Hernandez, Victor Martinez, Omar Vizquel, etc. Each of these players are/have been All-Stars. Keep overlooking them. Against the shoddy DR pitching staff, they may look like Murderers' Row. Once again, Venezuela has already beaten the DR with both teams playing lesser players.

Venezuela 12, DR 10. I just wonder what the excuse will be when the DR loses. Because there's always an excuse.

Don Juan said: