Our sixth Visit - more adventerous this time

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Returning to Grand Flamenco for 2 weeks in Feb the staff recognised us straight away. This is for me one of the best things about the country - THE PEOPLE. Inside the AI resorts and outside the PEOPLE are so friendly, put that with the lovely countryside, warm climate and relatively cheap investment of 2 weeks R&R the Dom Rep wins for us EVERY TIME.
The one problem I have noticed is that because it is so cheap - and in the uk it is getting more and more well known as a great place to go - er, not sure how to put this delicately - the type of person from the UK who seems to visit now is not the same as it used to be? Please don?t get me wrong - we are not "posh" by any means - but the larger louts and loutetts have found this wonderful country. Its a shame to be embarrassed by fellow Brits - however when sitting on the coach going home and you have some 17, 18, 19 year old kids talking about "getting that hoe in Mangu - yeah I gave it to her good" its just not the place it used to be for me.

To give you an idea - im 28 and my girlfriend is 19. I run a nightclub in the UK and just want to chill and explore when we are there so this trip for us was about exploring and getting out of Playa D.

So what did we do - A relatively new trip on offer - the Camel Safari - Now this is pretty much the same as the Jeep Safari however you get to drive your own Jeep as opposed to being herded into the back of a truck! Loved it - ?50 in UK money for a great day out - just getting the driving experience is worth that! And what a place it is to drive in!

Ocean World is a must - Swimming with the Dolphins - playing with the sea lions is a fantastic experience - i seem to take a moment every time we go there. When the sun is shining and you stand on the entrance to the Parrot enclosure, just look around you and enjoy the view - and wow - what a view it is.

Costambar - Have a wonder around - nice restaurants, nice beach and again friendly people. We stayed at a hotel for the night in Costambar and they do great food. Saw a couple of DR1?s that we had previously met in Sousa! If you and your partner are open minded try Blackbeards. Its not seedy ? its not overt in your face full on orgy and to be fair its relatively tasteful. We met some lovely people there, old and young from all around the world. The price of the well furnished rooms is good value and the food is great. Theres a lovely Jacuzzi that we sat in and watched the sun come up with a rum and coke ? lovely.

Sousa ? Theres so much talk of Rocky?s and Eddies on here we just had to visit for the day. It was the day of the superbowl and both places were having a party. We found Rocky?s first ? nice place and good food and met a few DR1?s in there.
The problem when you look at a site like this is you build up a picture of people in your mind of what they look like from the way they write and there screen name. You also get to feel like you know them and when you meet them it?s a very strange feeling! So ? met some guys, ate some food and decided we would move on around the town. It?s a very small town and we bumped into some of the guys again in other bars ? these Americans and Canadians couldn?t do more for us. Where to go, where to eat ? help with directions ? Just want to say thanks again guys!
The ex pats are all very helpful and people appreciate that an effort has been made to leave the resort to explore. SO many people just sit around the pool or on the beach ? what a waste!

Then on to Eddies ? now Eddies bar in Sousa for me and my girl was the preferred choice over Rockys. The staff, management and atmosphere were ?better? for us. We were made to feel more welcome. I guess it helped that the guy on the door was from the UK and let me off $1 on the entrance fee! ( We made up for it in the drinks we brought thou Eddie ). The night was grate ? met more DR1?rs ( Escot ? great guy ) but left at half time to go back to Rockys. Rockys just didn?t have the atmosphere that Eddies did ? and by this time my better half was feeling the effects of too much Rum!

Time to go back to Flamenco ? so Taxi back to Playa D - $10. The taxi systems seems simple enough to work ? ALWAYS ask for the cost before you get in the car. Once a price has been given I find that as a general rule of thumb ? offer a third of what they ask for. If that?s not acceptable then start to walk away saying that you will find another taxi and funnily enough they always seem happy to take us at that price. Its not about screwing them down as low as they will go ? just not going to pay loads over the odds for being a gringo!

Other Eateries ? CAF? CITO ? WHAT A HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!
Now once again ? we are 28 and 19, fairly social ? its my job and the web site that they have is fantastic. Only 1 negative review! OK ? the reply from the owner is great and its meant to be a friendly place ? so lets go!
What can I tell you ? the food is good, the price is ok, the staff ? well ? the owners son was working there ? throughout our meal all we could hear was the son arguing with another staff member about a FREE drink that was given away and how ?my dad this and my dad that? Really ? felt sorry for the member of staff!
Was the atmosphere welcoming to first time customers ? NO.
Would we go back ? NO
Am I willing to accept that this may just be a one off and it maybe better for others who want to try it ? PROBABLY NOT.
Just don?t get excited about the web site ? its not all its cracked up to be atmosphere, friendly ness and not at all welcoming.

BURGENTINE ? If you walk out of Playa D beach and turn right keep walking and you will cross a small river. Keep going and you will come to some huts towards the corner. The guys that work there are great, friendly, helpful and genuine. We keep going back to see theses guys time and time again. So for Valentines day I made my way round there and organised a little something for the wife. Lobster, as much drink as she could handle, a bonfire on the beach, pick up and return to the hotel. Cost - $100. I think that was a good price ? happy with that and looking forward to going back in a few months to see the guys!

Finally ? The Grand Flamenco ? I would say it?s the 3rd best hotel on Playa D. Obviously casa colonial ? then Gran Ventana next door where I have stayed a few times and then Flamenco. UK price ?600 ? 2 weeks all in with air fair- you cant beat that can you! The staff ? especially Pickatue ? ents manager are wonderfully people. Hotel is always clean ? speciality restaurants are ok ? to good however one thing we have noticed ? the drinks are watered down. Not necessarily a bad thing ? 5 drinks in the hotel is equal to one alcoholic drink in a club. Honestly one un watered down drink can knock your head off ? compared to the hotel drinks!

Looking forward to coming back soon,

Wishingiwasthere

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A timely review, Wishiwasthere, and thanks for what might be called an "outsider's view" of things we take for granted.
Dazzled that 19 year old, huh? Well done.

Oh, and those 17,18,19 yr olds? Tell them to get HIV checked shortly, will you?

HB :D:D

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Well thank you Hillbilly,

We are coming back in May - hopefully meet some more of you guys this time.
You wouldnt happen to be the guy with a beard i met in Rockys would you?

Dan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think so. Got a beard, but haven't ventured north in a while...

Come on down to Santiago. Beer's good and cold, we got golf and other stuff to do..

HB :D:D:D

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
What does the Santiago course (Los Aromas?) look like at the moment?
I've played a view times about 4/5 years ago, if i remember right the course was dry like hell, the grass not cut, only the greens where OK, and the design of course, got a some nice holes.
Someone told me that they have irrigation now?
True?

Aug 19, 2004
Intersting post I agree with you that the larger louts and loutetts have found this wonderful country but as I they don't venture any further out than the hotel compounds the rest of the country remains unspoilt + we now have cheap direct flights from Britain.

Must say wishingiwasthere after 6 trips you don't venture out of the tourist ghettos mch. I would rent a car and see a bit more of the country next time -the mountains, Santo Domingo, Samana etc.