IFA Bavaro Resort

cheeto

Jan 15, 2006
We just returned from 2 Fantastic weeks at the IFA Bavaro Resort (Villas,Village,Ocean) from Feb 16-March 2.

Flight: left Vancouver,BC on Air Transat,great flight and just over 6 1/2 hours with the jet stream.Went thru customs no problem,grabbed ourselves a cold Prsidente cervesa (beer) just outside the airport for our bus ride to the Resort $3 US.The ride was only 20-25 minutes.

Check In:We were pretty much first in line and got a room on the 3rd floor 3800 block Ocean section which was a nice room with high vaulted ceilings.Got settled in room and headed to buffet for a bite and then to the Village Pool Bar for some cocktails.We did move 2 days later as we wanted an ocean view but ended up on 2nd floor with a partial ocean view which was really nice in room# 4414.

Restaurants: You really can't complain about the food as there is lots to choose from.
Breakfast there was lots of fruit,yogurt,smoothies,meats,cheeses,french toast,pancakes,croissants,sausages,bacon and they would have a station to make you omelettes or fried eggs.
Lunch there was 2 Buffets with lots of meats,salads,fruit,cheeses,pasta,chicken etc.We would mainly be at the beach where the Beach restaurant had great hamburgers,hotdogs,salad & fruits.They also had a Calamari dish that looked like Paella, alot of people were eating it but we never tried it.
Dinner you had a choice of the 2 Buffets which had lots to choose from or 4 a-la-cartes,Mexican,Japanese,Caribe and the Beach (International) restaurants.We never tried the Japanese but the Caribe & Mexican were great and we wished we had tried them sooner.You do have to line up to make reservations the day before at 3PM in the main lobby to reserve and we didn't want to make many commitments of what time we were to eat or do anything.

Rooms:In our first room were a few ants but hey you are in the tropics on a beach and with a quick call you can have them spray.People do bring food and sugary drinks to the rooms so that can bring them in.We made sure we did not drop crumbs or leave dirty dishes or glasses around.The second room did not have any ants and was quite nice.Our tub was not peeling like some people have said it only had one chip that had rusted (god forbid).Our air conditioning was great but we mainly just left the fan on.Our little fridge was COLD which some other resorts I have stayed in were not.We even had a little freezer.Our fridge was never stocked as we kept our same water bottle and refilled it at the bars.We also kept our snacks in there so as not to attract any ants etc.My only complaint was the lighting in the room was low and with 3 females in the room the bathroom mirror had a line-up but no big deal.

Beach:What can I say "AWESOME",best beach I have ever been to.I have been to most resort areas in Mexico including Cancun,Playa del Carmen,Akumal,Varadero Cuba and this one beats them all hands down.

Excursions: We only went on the Saona Island tour and that was a memory I will never forget,what a day! Caught our bus from the main lobby at 8am and went through the countryside passing Higuey (a small little town) and the farm lands.We saw sugar cane,orange trees,farm land with cattle,horses.This was about 1 1/2-2 hours but we also had Alejandro(our tour guide)telling us all about the area which I fully enjoyed.We then left from a Hotel (Grand something?)on a speed boat out on the Caribbean Sea which was awesome.We then stopped in the natural pool in the ocean which is waist deep and swam around while they handed out rum & cokes.There was a guy videoing the whole thing and after you can purchase the DVD for $40 US.They also take your picture before you get on the speed boat and put it on a bottle of rum which you can purchase for $12.We then took off to Saona Island for a few hours for a great lunch more rum & cokes and to wander the beach and swim in the rolling waves.Then on to the Catamaran to sail back.On the bus ride back we stopped at a market where you could buy all sorts of paintings,carvings,rum,vanilla,etc.We got back to the Hotel by 7PM.This was $85 US and well worth every penny to me.

Weather:Sunny and hot pretty much every day.There were clouds and a nice breeze which gave some relief from the heat.It spitted rain outside on 3 different days for 5 minutes or so but did not bother me when I was walking the beach or out at the pool.It also rained quite hard one night that I was told about cause I never woke up to see it but by morning it was hot and blue skies again.

All in all this resort was well worth the money and I would definately return if another good price came up.The people were wonderful but make sure you smile,are polite,say Hola and they do everything to make your stay at the Hotel a good one.
If you have any other questions please e-mail me at rockymountain@telus.net.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Cheeto,
that was a very nice and informative report and am very glad that you enjoyed your stay in the DR. Come again soon and welcome to DR1.

Rick

Last edited:

cheeto

Jan 15, 2006
De Nada

Thanks Rick: I hope this report helps some others as this site and others have been very helpful for me in the past with my Vacations.:cool:
Hasta Luego
Cindy

cheeto

Jan 15, 2006
Saona Island DVD?

We bought the Saona Island DVD ($40) which we did watch on my friends DVD player at the Hotel.My friend put the DVD in her luggage and somehow it warped a little so it is no good now.Does anyone know if or how to get a replacement of our days excursion?:paranoid: