SDQ airport

dlpet

Mar 4, 2006
My wife and I just returned from our first (and last) trip to DR - had our camera stolen out of our luggage at the SDQ airport. Very blatant - they took the camera out of the case and left the case in the luggage.
Yes, maybe I was naive, but my other choice was to be cynical.

Jan 9, 2004
dlpet:

This is not an uncommon occurrence either in the D.R. or any other airport around the world. While it may never have happened to you before, it nonetheless happens quite frequently everywhere unsuspecting tourists create opportunity. It happened to me in the D.R. as well on a post 9/11 trip when the airlines would not allow locks on luggage. Fortunately, I only lost a few CD's.

I now use the TSA approved locks (they supposedly can only be opened by TSA employees) and never put any expensive valuables in my checked luggage. I believe that is a good rule to follow wherever you go.

By the way, how was the rest of your trip?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

dlpet said:
My wife and I just returned from our first (and last) trip to DR - had our camera stolen out of our luggage at the SDQ airport. Very blatant - they took the camera out of the case and left the case in the luggage.
Yes, maybe I was naive, but my other choice was to be cynical.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
So you are judging

an entire country because your camera was stolen? Since things are stolen from luggage daily in the US, I guess we should all migrate elsewhere. But where? Where is this utopia where nothing bad ever happens?

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt and think perhaps there are other reasons you don't plan on returning. If so, please enlighten us!

Jan 9, 2004
The locks are available at most all luggage stores in malls and airports. Target, Walmart and other stores that have a luggage department usually carry them. Also try a google search using "locks, luggage, TSA approved." I have had no difficulty using them in the D.R. I cannot however say whether they are "good for travel to any worldwide location." Perhaps other members can share their experiences.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

newuser said:
I haven't been on a flight in awhile. Where are these locks available? Are they good for international travel to any worldwide location?

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
I usually have tie-wraps (sp), plastic ties that you need to break in order to open them. If your luggage needs to be inspected, they'll put another on.

E.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
playacaribe2 said:
The locks are available at most all luggage stores in malls and airports. Target, Walmart and other stores that have a luggage department usually carry them. Also try a google search using "locks, luggage, TSA approved." I have had no difficulty using them in the D.R. I cannot however say whether they are "good for travel to any worldwide location." Perhaps other members can share their experiences.
Home Depot also carries the locks.

I've used them when traveling to Europe and other Latin American countries.