Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overview of Dominican Real Estate Law

Post Thanks / Like

Dominican Law is oly as reliable as the attorney enforcing (or not enforcing) it. I find that Dominican lawyers will take the easy foreigner money for a simple purchase, but when problems or misrepresentations arise on the part of the seller, they wash their hands of it and take the path of least resistance. They just do not respond to you any more. None of them are interested in helping and American who has been treated unethically and lied to. They just want the easy transactions and easy money, and do not care at all, about justice.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

There exists a proposal to regulate brokers and agents called "Proyecto de ley para la creacion del colegio de corredores y agentes inmobiliarios (CAI) que regula el corretaje inmobiliario en la Republica Dominicana". It can be found on the website of the Associacion de Empresas Inmobliarios Asociación de Empresas Inmobiliarias. I dont how far it is in the proces of materialzing into law. I would like to know as I work with real estate. Does Fabio Guzman know??

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats not true of all Dominican lawyers. Did you have a bad experience?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rxrr View Post
    Dominican Law is oly as reliable as the attorney enforcing (or not enforcing) it. I find that Dominican lawyers will take the easy foreigner money for a simple purchase, but when problems or misrepresentations arise on the part of the seller, they wash their hands of it and take the path of least resistance. They just do not respond to you any more. None of them are interested in helping and American who has been treated unethically and lied to. They just want the easy transactions and easy money, and do not care at all, about justice.

This is just not true, there are some great decent lawyers here. It looks like you have had a bad experience and it is unfair to paint all lawyers with the same brush

I didn't last long...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quien.....

Quote Originally Posted by rxrr View Post
    Wowwww, a person who used ALLLLLLLLLL Lawyers in the DR!!.

Why don't you tell us the ones who did you wrong....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool looking for a good Real Estate Attorney

I would like to get a good recomendation on a good Real Estate attorney in the DR. I might need to to help me with a purchase in the DR. If you have worked with one and have had a good experience, please let me know who they are. Thanks...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

No one in Samana.
    The only office that I can recommend is Erick Urena, with an office in Sosua and another in POP. His associate, Carlos, speaks English very well. Their office is in the plaza in which the Checkpoint bar is located. Sorry, dont have the number on hand.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kashbarker View Post
    I would like to get a good recomendation on a good Real Estate attorney in the DR. I might need to to help me with a purchase in the DR. If you have worked with one and have had a good experience, please let me know who they are. Thanks...
    Send an email to Fabio Guzman's office, they have an office in Samana.
    They are the same firm that wrote the great overview in this thread.

They have successfully handled real estate transactions for many, many DR1 posters. Just do a search on this board if you need references, plenty of positive posts.

Email: info@drlawyer.com

Let them know DR1 sent you, they will look after you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very helpful information, it to bad I did not had access to it sooner. I purchased a lot in Sosua five years ago and I have a lot of legal problems with the attorney that got me the title. It's unfurnate that there so many enthical lwayers in D.R. Good information thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Fabio Guzman or somebody else could post some information providing insight into how "squatters rights" come into play in Dominican Real-estate Law. I was looking at some plots of land (no house on it) in both Sosua and Santiago to buy and hold onto for another 10 years till I retire.

Someone told me though that since I wasn't living there that squatters could just homestead on the property and in a very short time under Dominican law the land would legally become theirs.

Any input appreciated.

11. Dislikes champ disliked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast