Overview of Dominican Real Estate Law

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
This is very informative and could be used as a starting point for all would be property buyers, I agree with deelt, this should be a sticky. We wouldn't want this post to get lost or forgotten.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
A Near Masterpiece! Well done!

As a practicing attorney in a small town New England enviroment with considerable R E experience, this is a true gem! I'm appreciative.

* Food for thought: at times Atty. Guzman contrasts DR R E law with similar practices in the USA; possible additional useful info for foreigners:
* a. mortgages? How do DR banking practices, assuming a 1st mortgage on a residential parcel of R E differ from American practices?
* b.. R E brokers? Are R E brokers licensed? Regulated? Subject to governmental or non-governmental supervision? Details, please.
* c. Seller taking back a 1st mortgage? This seems t/b the common practice, among foreigners at least. Of necessity! Advangates? Disadvantages?
* d. The mortgage foreclosure process. Complicated? Expensive? Time consuming? Comments.

* Some of these questions may be of interest only to a [happy] former lawyer. Again, my sincere thanks for a job exceptionally well done. DR1, & Atty Guzman, keep up the extremely valuable info.

Anne R

May 1, 2006
Real Estate Foreclosure & Bankruptcy

I am researching to locate in English, Dominican Republic laws regarding bankruptcy and foreclosure as the laws pertain to Real estate located in the Dominican Republic but owned by US Citizen. Thanks for any assistance.

allspins

Jan 6, 2007
www.allspins.com
Re

Losing your house to bankruptcy is not something I'd recommend!
:glasses:
The Dominican Republic real estate prices will go up due to it's popularity. What they need to do to help increse their prices is to have lower interest rates for borrowers.

faraway

Mar 8, 2007
What about Promise of Sale, when developer financing is issue

What rules, law applies when the property is bought with developer mortgage taken for 5 years and the only contract we have is promise of sale?
Who is the real seller when it comes to resale, do we need our's developer authorisation to sell the property?
How long the promisse of sale can excist without beiing transform to contract of sale?

rxrr

Feb 16, 2007
Dominican Law is oly as reliable as the attorney enforcing (or not enforcing) it. I find that Dominican lawyers will take the easy foreigner money for a simple purchase, but when problems or misrepresentations arise on the part of the seller, they wash their hands of it and take the path of least resistance. They just do not respond to you any more. None of them are interested in helping and American who has been treated unethically and lied to. They just want the easy transactions and easy money, and do not care at all, about justice.

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
There exists a proposal to regulate brokers and agents called "Proyecto de ley para la creacion del colegio de corredores y agentes inmobiliarios (CAI) que regula el corretaje inmobiliario en la Republica Dominicana". It can be found on the website of the Associacion de Empresas Inmobliarios Asociaci?n de Empresas Inmobiliarias. I dont how far it is in the proces of materialzing into law. I would like to know as I work with real estate. Does Fabio Guzman know??

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Dominican Law is oly as reliable as the attorney enforcing (or not enforcing) it. I find that Dominican lawyers will take the easy foreigner money for a simple purchase, but when problems or misrepresentations arise on the part of the seller, they wash their hands of it and take the path of least resistance. They just do not respond to you any more. None of them are interested in helping and American who has been treated unethically and lied to. They just want the easy transactions and easy money, and do not care at all, about justice.

This is just not true, there are some great decent lawyers here. It looks like you have had a bad experience and it is unfair to paint all lawyers with the same brush

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Quien.....

Wowwww, a person who used ALLLLLLLLLL Lawyers in the DR!!.

Why don't you tell us the ones who did you wrong....

kashbarker

Feb 1, 2008
looking for a good Real Estate Attorney

I would like to get a good recomendation on a good Real Estate attorney in the DR. I might need to to help me with a purchase in the DR. If you have worked with one and have had a good experience, please let me know who they are. Thanks...

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
No one in Samana.
The only office that I can recommend is Erick Urena, with an office in Sosua and another in POP. His associate, Carlos, speaks English very well. Their office is in the plaza in which the Checkpoint bar is located. Sorry, dont have the number on hand.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would like to get a good recomendation on a good Real Estate attorney in the DR. I might need to to help me with a purchase in the DR. If you have worked with one and have had a good experience, please let me know who they are. Thanks...

Send an email to Fabio Guzman's office, they have an office in Samana.
They are the same firm that wrote the great overview in this thread.

They have successfully handled real estate transactions for many, many DR1 posters. Just do a search on this board if you need references, plenty of positive posts.

Email: info@drlawyer.com

Let them know DR1 sent you, they will look after you.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
This is very helpful information, it to bad I did not had access to it sooner. I purchased a lot in Sosua five years ago and I have a lot of legal problems with the attorney that got me the title. It's unfurnate that there so many enthical lwayers in D.R. Good information thanks

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Maybe Fabio Guzman or somebody else could post some information providing insight into how "squatters rights" come into play in Dominican Real-estate Law. I was looking at some plots of land (no house on it) in both Sosua and Santiago to buy and hold onto for another 10 years till I retire.

Someone told me though that since I wasn't living there that squatters could just homestead on the property and in a very short time under Dominican law the land would legally become theirs.

Any input appreciated.