Climbing Pico Duarte over Semana Santa ?

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
After having lived in DR for all these days, I've decided to bite the bullet and climb Pico Duarte after putting it off for so long. And Semana Santa sounds like a perfect time as we want to avoid the crowds on the beaches. There is a group of 5-6 people that I can organize to go together. Now we are looking for a reliable/reasonsbly-priced tour outfitter to take us there.

Are there any 3-day/two-night options since I have to work on Thursday ? (I've been quoted RD$6,500 per person for a 4-day/3-night version). I figure this should still be enough time to climb/see everything.

We are all in our 20's and early 30's so fitness level is not an issue.

Would appreciate any feedback and pointers. Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks !!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Formosano2000 said:
...And Semana Santa sounds like a perfect time as we want to avoid the crowds on the beaches. ...QUOTE]

Actually, Semana Santa is the most crowded time to climb Pico Duarte...

-

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
I see...

Mirador said:
Formosano2000 said:
...And Semana Santa sounds like a perfect time as we want to avoid the crowds on the beaches. ...QUOTE]

Actually, Semana Santa is the most crowded time to climb Pico Duarte...

-

In this case, rescue should arrive sooner should somebody trip and fall ! ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The perfect time is when it has not been raining, is not too hot and less people are doing the trip. Went in October and was fortunate that all these conditions were met and it was fantastic. The Carpenter's song of "I'm on the top of the world, looking down on creation..." kept ringing in my ears. We were five families. In addition to us, there were only two more parties. We had the new Parques Nacionales house, all to ourselves.

This is a tough trip. Make sure your shoes are good. I lost two nails from the pressure. Did two thirds of the way up on foot, then took a mule. Return trip was two-thirds on mule, one third slowly on foot. Husband went all the way up, but came back half way on a mule. Unless you are stupendously fit, consider booking two mules. One for your cargo and one for yourself. Also it is cold up there -- can drop below zero. (At least it did in October).

A good guide is important. The organizer of our trip -- an experienced Pico visitor -- booked his guides in La Cienaga the previous day. We spent the night at the La Cienaga camp, up from Manabao, leaving the next day early in the morning.

Post here the trip schedule your organizers have for you so we can comment on it.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
William, I hope that if you do go, you post a trip review -- with pictures -- in this thread, or in the Trip Review forum, and/or better yet -- dare I say it? Why not! -- as a "guest blog" on the Green Team blog! After all, it is a national park/protected area. Would love your observations (supplemented by pics) about how accessible it is, how well it is managed, in general what kind of eco-tourism experience it is. Being wanting to do a blog on it, but don't know when I'll personally have a chance to climb Pico Duarte and none of the rest of the Team seems to be headed there soon. Just a thought...:cheeky:

P.S. I am sooooo envious! This is one of those things I wanted to do the whole time I lived in SD, but never got to do. My wife hates hiking and camping, my twins were too small at the time, and I couldn't convince any of my friends to go with me...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have some photos from Mr C (who was on the same trip as Dolores and family) if you like, Keith.

He is asthmatic and not especially fit and he did fine, as Dolores will testify.

I'm waiting until Chirimoyito is a couple of years older before we attempt it as a family. I think he'd probably have to be about 8 or 9 at least.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Cool! I love Mr. C's pics. Chiri, might Mr. C consider doing a guest blog along the lines I just suggested to William? And/or maybe together with Dolores?