Tips about rum and cigars

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Hello everyone,

First of all I must say I do NOT drink rum or smoke.

I'm ready to go to DR on friday (yay!) and one of my workmates wants me to bring him back rum and cigars (he'll pay for them), so I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips as of what to buy, since this is the first time I buy such things. He said he'd trust my judgement because he has no idea of what's being sold down there, but he once was at a mate's house (who happens to be from Cuba) and they drank Havana Club, so my guess is something like that would be nice.

My first thought was Barcel? a?ejo or maybe Brugal. What do you think?

elhombre72

Sep 27, 2005
Cigars

Bring back a couple of Leon Jimenez cigars. The cheaper version are called "La Aurora" They are both good.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whoa! "the cheaper version"?? I guess you ain't been over there for a while.

You can dump a few hundred $,€ or ? in a New York minute!!

And they are top quality, make no mistake about that.

All of that out of the way, a lot depends on just where you are going on Friday.

If you are in the Southeast Coast--Bavaro and so forth, then there are the Fumo stores that are top of the line....

If you are in La Romana, there are three Fumo stores: One in the Marina, one in Alto de Chavon and another one in Bayahibe, I think...

If you are on the North Coast, there is a store in Sos?a, called Super Super on the corner of Pedro Glisante and Calle Ayuntamiento. They have a decent selection of La Aurora Cigars and good rum, too.

As for rum, the above suggestions are good. Also try Barcel? Imperial *8 yr old*, or Siboney Red Label.

Let us know if you need something else..

HB :D:D

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm so used to talking to my friends that I forget that not everyone knows where I'm gonna be :embarrassed: I'll be in SD.

Can I buy just some cigars, say 5 or 6, or do I have to buy the whole box?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You can buy 1!
Just do not buy cigars from a Beach Vendor or gift shop, only shop at the above mentioned shops.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
In Santo Domingo you won't see many beach vendors, but don't buy them in a giftshop on El Conde, they sell fake Cuban cigars. You can buy Leon Jimenes and La Aurora cigars at Plaza Lama and Supermercado Nacional supermarkets. The Plaza Lama at Av 27 de Febrero/Av. Churchill has a good selection. BTW, they also sell nice little Principes from the same factory but machine-made, 5 for 45 pesos!!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Brugal and the unquestionable...

I actually had a little shot in my coffee the other day...hmmm

People who really know rum say that Haitain rum is super fine, as well. Barbancourt is an investment worth making. I think the label is (http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/ht/barb/ and http://www.barbancourt.net/).
I know...this is a sacrilegious comment on a Dominican-focused website. Yikes!

Same goes for the rum made in Barbados. I think the label name is Mount Gay, http://www.rum.cz/galery/cam/bb/mountgay/.

But I figured since we are giving props to Cuban cigars then we can't take away credit were credit is due.

Dominican cigars and dominican rum do stand among the best. So I have no issues with this.

jrzyguy said:
Brugal Extra Vejo for the rum part of it...not sure about the cigars

elhombre72

Sep 27, 2005
Whoa

Hillbilly said:
Whoa! "the cheaper version"?? I guess you ain't been over there for a while.

You can dump a few hundred $,€ or ? in a New York minute!!

And they are top quality, make no mistake about that.

All of that out of the way, a lot depends on just where you are going on Friday.

If you are in the Southeast Coast--Bavaro and so forth, then there are the Fumo stores that are top of the line....

If you are in La Romana, there are three Fumo stores: One in the Marina, one in Alto de Chavon and another one in Bayahibe, I think...

If you are on the North Coast, there is a store in Sos?a, called Super Super on the corner of Pedro Glisante and Calle Ayuntamiento. They have a decent selection of La Aurora Cigars and good rum, too.

As for rum, the above suggestions are good. Also try Barcel? Imperial *8 yr old*, or Siboney Red Label.

Let us know if you need something else..

HB :D:D

La Aurora are generally less expensive than the Leon Jimenez brand. They are made by the same company and are both great quality.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
elhombre72 said:
La Aurora are generally less expensive than the Leon Jimenez brand. They are made by the same company and are both great quality.
I'd say they're more or less the same price level. Anyway, if you go to Santiago and visit the factory store, they have all the varieties of both brands with prices in pesos and dollars, and you can make a full, exact comparison.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I find Aurora a little harsher than the Leon Jiminiez brand named cigars. LJs are only a few pesos (~20 RDP?) per tin of ten more. Another time I'll stick to them.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I ended up buying 5 cigarrs from La Tabacalera and Brugal rum. My work mate thought they were very good (y).

Thanks for all your tips.