how hard to get a visa for a dominican to US?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Very quickly here. How difficult is it for a dominican friend to obtain a tourist visa to the U.S. He owns a house, has a good job, owns a car...but doesnt have a ton of money in the bank.

Is there a way that a U.S. citizen could perhaps sponsor someone? We are just talking about a week long visit.

Just wondrin'. My friend their sounds doubtful.

thks

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Tell your friend to go for it. He has a house, he has a good job. It would help if he can also show proof of medical insurance in the DR. (just another reason to return home after his visit.) If he is leaving other family members whom he supports here in the DR, that would also be a plus.

NOT having any family in the U.S. is looked on by the twisted minds of consular officials as a PLUS. That way, there isn't a cheap place in the U.S.for him to stay and OVERSTAY.

Not much of a bank account in the DR doesn't really matter. So many dominicans have been loaned a bunch of pesos just to deposit in their account for a week, to show a big balance, and then returned to the true owner, that they don't really look at this anymore. All the consular officer will want to know is that your friend has enough $$ for his visit and return home.

Suerte.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
As dear Dra. Morel Said, the first one thing is that the consul wants, 2nd. to be lucky, 3rd. To have a good bank account, car, house, work, etc.

Silonius3

Sep 11, 2003
If it were easy . . . there would be at least 6 million Dominicans in line tommorrow. Just cost the price of a cita US$100 plus extra for the phone card, pictures, filling out forms, waiting in line to find out. Go for it!

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
I'm from in the Detroit MI area, and just got back from my first visit to the DR (39 days). I work with a lot of Dominicans (for the past several years), and most of my friends are Dominican.

I've invited a dominican girlfriend to come visit me here at my house in the northern Detroit suburbs area.

Before I go any farther, let me say she is not a hotel worker, not from a tourist area, etc., so please do not stray off-topic onto warning me (but thanks for the concern). I know many people from her village, her mom is a practicing, praying Christian, she has 3 years in the university (with 3 more to go for a doctor), etc.

My dominican friends make it sound that for her to get a tourist visa is difficult. I called the US Dept of State (after about 45 minutes waiting), and the visa expert Michael said that as long as everything is in order (she has a passport, photos, letter (with name, itinirary, explaination of expenses, purpose of visit), and visa application fee, then she should be approved for her first visit here to the US.

My problem (and question) is that I am suspecious of what US gov people tell me, and my dominican friends feel differently (from their experiences).

What should I expect? Is she likely to get approved for a tourist visa to visit me? Would you say it's 95% chance of being approved?

If not, what needs/should be done to get her chance of approval up?

I did a dr1 site search, waded around in threads for a few hours, but could not find any "real" info.

Thanks for the help/feedback.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
stiggybaby said:
her mom is a practicing, praying Christian

Oh, well, it's all right then

sorry, couldn't resist.
all i know is that to get a visa for Europe the most important factor is whether there is a good reason to believe visitors will return after the visa period has ended. For the USA it will be similar, although maybe with slimmer chances. But does it really matter, will you not make an attempt if people say there is a 95 % chance of net getting one?

stiggybaby

Jan 20, 2006
qgrande said:
...will you not make an attempt if people say there is a 95 % chance of net getting one?

if GOOD, RELIABLE, KNOWN sources say that there is only a 5% chance, and I can verify that, then no, I would not waste my (and her) time, effort, and money. It would be more logical and productive to put time and effort into exploring and learning the system to see if there are other options with a greater than 5% success rate. THEN, if not, I would take my chances with a 5% chance of a tourist visa.

The main reason I do not like this forum is because there is so much blah-blah to wade through, that it is hard to find actual useful info. Plenty of yadda-yadda though, so please limit responses to relevant Q&A.

Thanks again

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You're right

stiggybaby said:
if GOOD, RELIABLE, KNOWN sources say that there is only a 5% chance, and I can verify that, then no, I would not waste my (and her) time, effort, and money. It would be more logical and productive to put time and effort into exploring and learning the system to see if there are other options with a greater than 5% success rate. THEN, if not, I would take my chances with a 5% chance of a tourist visa.

The main reason I do not like this forum is because there is so much blah-blah to wade through, that it is hard to find actual useful info. Plenty of yadda-yadda though, so please limit responses to relevant Q&A.

Thanks again

especially about the remark about a good Christian praying woman.
"just couldn't resist" (resist what-the first thing that came into his pea brain?
I too am sorry - but I just couldn't resist.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
johne said:
especially about the remark about a good Christian praying woman.
"just couldn't resist" (resist what-the first thing that came into his pea brain?
I too am sorry - but I just couldn't resist.

Since you continue I'll respond. The remark about a Christian praying mother was given among a number of reasons why this was not a standard resort worker sanky situation. I realize that in certain parts of the USA trusting someone because of their religiousness is quite normal. To my tiny European non-religious pea-brain this appears pretty alien, even funny. I'm quite sure all sankies and sankiettes have good Christian praying mothers and grandmothers. By the way, it was in no way a warning or criticism, because stiggybaby's description and way of posting do not appear naive at all, and might give an attempt to get a visa a more than average chance of success. At least I gave the little factual information I have. I'm sure many people here know about this from a US perspective. And what was your postive contribution to this thread?

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My contribution if case you're interested

qgrande said:
Since you continue I'll respond. The remark about a Christian praying mother was given among a number of reasons why this was not a standard resort worker sanky situation. I realize that in certain parts of the USA trusting someone because of their religiousness is quite normal. To my tiny European non-religious pea-brain this appears pretty alien, even funny. I'm quite sure all sankies and sankiettes have good Christian praying mothers and grandmothers. By the way, it was in no way a warning or criticism, because stiggybaby's description and way of posting do not appear naive at all. At least I gave the little factual information I have. I'm sure many people here know about this from a US perspective. And what was your postive contribution to this thread?

I contributed absolutely nothing to the OP tread. I took exception at what I thought was yet another shot at Christianity.Whenever I see someone that may have a hidden or transparent agenda in their statement I will make my feelings known and it will be up to the moderator to delete it if they feel it is off topic.
Have a good day.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
johne said:
I contributed absolutely nothing to the OP tread. I took exception at what I thought was yet another shot at Christianity.Whenever I see someone that may have a hidden or transparent agenda in their statement I will make my feelings known and it will be up to the moderator to delete it if they feel it is off topic.
Have a good day.
I'm really terribly sorry my post appeared a 'shot at Christianity' to you. I have all respect for people's religious believes and no hidden agenda whatsoever. I also believe there are good and trustworthy Christians and bad and unreliable Christians, just like there are good and bad atheists. Again, all I wanted to state is that in my opinion trusting someone because they are Christian is naive, for sure in the DR. But enough, we're way off topic and this thread would definitely improve if the last couple of posts were removed.

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Stiggy baby and Jersey Guy, the information posted by Gringo carlos is basically what you need to know. I dont know why this consulate worker named Michael gave you such an upbeat assessment of the situation, because frankly, even according to the consulate's list of requirements, it is obvious that the application will not be easy. YOu have to show that you own property (not just some little house worth a few hundred thousand pesos, but real property); a bank account (not only to show how much money, because as Gringo Carlos points out they are on to that scam -- it is just to show that you are rooted here, that you have lots of reasons to keep you here and guarantee that you wont overstay your welcome in the States).; a good job; -- and anything else that demonstrates this rootedness in the community. The medical insurance is a nice touch.

Normally all this arranged through Banco Popular. You go to a branch, fill out an application form (forget how muchthey are charging but it aint cheap), and you are given an appointment -- which might take place as much as three months later. Yes, the lines are long. you show up like the rest, at dawn, wait on line, with all your paperwork, and hope that the interview goes well.

Now that is about all you can do if a friend or girlfriend is the one doing the application. If you are here, you might go along to the interview in order to assure the consulate officer that there is no reason to worry about abusing the tourist visa, and you can act as a kind of guarantor (though in fact, your presence is not at all a real guarantee, but the support might tip the balance).

Bear in mind that the process has gotten tougher in recent years, so as one consulate worker told me, there is no guarantee whatsoever, even with all the proper paperwork, that the person will be given a tourist visa -- even if the person is amiddle class or upper class Dominican -- they too have abused this privilege and overstayed their visas.

I cannot give you odds on the likelihood that a visa de paseo will be granted. But if you really care about these people and want them to visit, by all means give it a shot. The process doesnt really cost all that much, and the Dominican might just succeed in getting the visa.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In that case..

qgrande said:
I'm really terribly sorry my post appeared a 'shot at Christianity' to you. I have all respect for people's religious believes and no hidden agenda whatsoever. I also believe there are good and trustworthy Christians and bad and unreliable Christians, just like there are good and bad atheists. Again, all I wanted to state is that in my opinion trusting someone because they are Christian is naive, for sure in the DR. But enough, we're way off topic and this thread would definitely improve if the last couple of posts were removed.

I now think you have a good sense of humor!
JOHN