Atm?

dreama

Mar 9, 2006
we are visiting Punta Cana in june are there atms on the island or do they accept visa?

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
You could use the atms. I always withdraw money from the atm and never had any problems.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
ATMs are every where and given the scams out there it is six of one half dozen of the other if we are going to compare the advantages of using either a cash card or charging everything.

However, if you decide to use your ATM card, here are the rules:

Do not use them after banking hours outside of the bank. All of the machines down here are the ones that retain your card while you transact your business. IF the card gets stuck, as they will from time to time, it could be a week before you see that card again, and it is irreplaceable, so you cannot afford to lose it. Use the ATMs located inside or at the bank branches during bank hours. If the card is stuck, they will get it out for you. Also some of the machines down here are rigged by crooks in a scam to get you to reveal your coding, so you should never use isolated machines.

Also never use isolated machines at off hours becuase you could be mugged ( though unlikely where you will be)

You will get the standard exchange rate, and if you bring cash (not checks) you might do better exchanging money but the hassle hardly makes it worthwhile. Bring travellers checks just in case. Always good to have some back up plan.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Dreama,
What Macocael said is right on. Other then that, enjoy your stay and welcome to DR1. If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Rick

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are ATMs here where you just swipe your card through. Don't know if it's any bank in particular that has them but they are becoming more common.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Swipes really? Wow I have yet to see one. I really hope they become common because that would foil these idiots who are always gluing up the machines and one would never have to worry about mechanical failures. Great.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
dreama said:
we are visiting Punta Cana in june are there atms on the island or do they accept visa?

Where exactly are you staying? Some hotels have an ATM on their property.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
macocael said:
Swipes really? Wow I have yet to see one. I really hope they become common because that would foil these idiots who are always gluing up the machines and one would never have to worry about mechanical failures. Great.
Banco Reserva's machines only require you to swipe card by inserting and removing from slot.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
macocael said:
In Plaza International (Santiago) they have a swipe card system, I believe banco progreso. Also for the OP, it would be wise to keep with you the international phone number for your bank, just in case you lose your card. For some reason, I couldn't dial 800 numbers from call centers or my Orange cell phone.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
800 series numbers

Ricardo900 said:
In Plaza International (Santiago) they have a swipe card system, I believe banco progreso. Also for the OP, it would be wise to keep with you the international phone number for your bank, just in case you lose your card. For some reason, I couldn't dial 800 numbers from call centers or my Orange cell phone.

Inbound wats numbers do not work in the DR. You get a message that you must dial for example 880 and will be charged at international rates.

800=880
877=882 ? not sure about this one
866=883
888=881

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
bienamor said:
Inbound wats numbers do not work in the DR. You get a message that you must dial for example 880 and will be charged at international rates.

800=880
877=882 ? not sure about this one
866=883
888=881
Thanks for the info.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Right when I call my bank I use their local number, as 1 800 numbers cannot be used from overseas.

As for the swipes they still seem to be few and far between, but clearly they will eventually replace the older machines and that is progress. The banco reserve machines around me still use the older machines. But I am in the old part of town!