why are the taxes different ??

Sep 19, 2005
I just bought my ticket for semana santa, form AA AGAIN....I played with the dates from the 12 th to the 18th and there were three price combinations in anywhere from 4 days to 6 days duration... anywhere from 454 to 494 rt.

the taxes werer 116

but before I bought I checked delta...fist off two of the departure days they didnt even have a flight!!!!!!!!!!!!

then i could have sworn the taxes on one of the rt fares was 80 something dollars!!

the question is how can they charge less taxes than AA? same city departure, same city return!

PS the dammm plane is almost full again!!!!!!

bob

Sep 19, 2005
I paid $474 for the tickets I bought yesterday for travel before easter.

I am asking about just the taxes portion of the fare...the DR doesnt tax the airlines differently????????????? do they

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Are the tickets you are comparing all non-stop flights, and if there is a stop, is it the same intermediate airport?

Sep 19, 2005
the AA flights are non stop jfk to st and back same thing

the delta flight were exactly the same non stop jfk to sti and back

same dates as well!

bob

Sep 19, 2005
here is the DELTA page with price and taxes rt non stop thursday to sunday

Reservations------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Priced Itineraries
Choose an itinerary below and click Select.
Leave: New York-Kennedy, NY to Santiago, Dominican Republic on Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Return: Santiago, Dominican Republic to New York-Kennedy, NY on Mon, 17 Apr 2006

Want fewer stops?
Only non-stops 1 stop is OK More than 1 stop is OK

$602.00 (USD)
Total: $689.40 (USD)
Our Low Fare Guarantee

Itinerary 1
Departs Arrives Flight # Cabin & Class Price per Passenger
JFK
10:20am
13 Apr 2006 STI
1:56pm
13 Apr 2006 Delta 307
0 stops Coach (H) Base Fare:
Taxes/Fees:
Total: $602.00 (USD)
$87.40 (USD)
$689.40 (USD)

View Fare Rules
STI
3:15pm
17 Apr 2006 JFK
7:04pm
17 Apr 2006 Delta 314
0 stops Business (I)

Note that flights in your preferred cabin were not available for every leg.

Special entry requirements may exist for your destination or country of transit.

The lowest fares for your selected itinerary are displayed above.

the taxes are $87

my taxes at AA are $116

tell me why they are different if you can.....seems odd

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I am asking about just the taxes portion of the fare...the DR doesnt tax the airlines differently????????????? do they
Taxes should not be airline dependant. Delta may be rolling some of the taxes into the "base" price.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
In the states taxes and fees vary by airport i.e. price differences between LGA, JFK, EWR and Weschester.

In the DR this may also happen between airports, especially the fees. Fees are the one thing airlines/airports can get away with charging and not really having to explain themselves.

There is also the difference if the airline includes arrival and departure taxes. Since I have never flown delta down I do not know what their policies are.

Sep 19, 2005
thanks for the reply's

BUT i did mention at least once maybe more that

same departure airport...both ways

same arrival airport...,both ways

ROUND TRIP both airlines

NON STOP both airlines

EVEN the same dates

what i am trying to find out is if one airline is gouging me some.

its like paying 7% tax at sears and paying 9% tax at Macy's

youd have something to say about that!!!!!!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The only variable that I am aware of is the "fuel surcharge" that the airlines set for themselves. But usually, the majors follow each others lead and charge the same amount.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
AA's Stated Policy for Taxes on Internations Flight
International Travel (including Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands)

- September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per U.S. enplanement, up to $5 one way and $10 roundtrip
- Airport passenger facility charges (PFCs) of up to $18 roundtrip
- Other government taxes and fees (including U.S. government excise tax) of up to $160 based on destination; total may vary slightly based upon currency exchange rate at time of purchase

Delta's
U.S. Excise Tax - International Arrival and Departure: up to $29.00 (USD) round-trip
U.S. Segment Fee: $3.30 per segment (defined as a takeoff and a landing) in the continental U.S.
Passenger Facility Charges: up to $18.00 (USD) per ticketed journey
September 11th Security Fee: $2.50 (USD) per U.S. enplanement, up to $10.00 (USD) per ticketed journey
U.S. and foreign inspection, security or other similarly based charges, fees, and taxes can reach $250.00 (USD).
Most international airport departure taxes are not included in the ticket price.

As you can see from the jargon that does not always make sense to the professionals (believe me I work in travel and asked our air department) they can pretty much decide how much they want to charge.

Sep 19, 2005
hey AJ, if you search further( i was just at the same place as you) you will learn that the base fare for internation flights includes a base fare and surcharges

but they dont explain surcharges... and in the info you listed they dont tell how they come up with $116!!!!

as a side note when I put the flight info back in to check how they arrived at my taxes...GUESS WHAT???

the flight now costs..........$524.40!!!!!!!...ONE DAY AFTER I BOUGHT IT FOR
$474.40

man I lucked out

bob

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Jetblue breaksdown the taxes

DEPARTING from NY:
$2.50 Security Fee
$14.50 US Departure Tax
$3.00 Passenger facility charge
$24.95 International taxes & fees

$44.95 Total departure tax

RETURNING from STI:
$14.50 US Departure tax
$56.95 International taxes & fees

$71.45 Total returning tax

$116.40 TOTAL TAXES JFK-STI ROUNDTRIP

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Bob -

Exactly - when they list the fees and taxes they can always go by that they vary. They also say it depends on the exchange rate on the day you book for the taxes and fees in the countries you are flying in and out of.

It is a racket. Airlines are like gas companys they tack on fees and taxes but you hardly ever know what for.

A.J.

Sep 19, 2005
hannahaleea:

It does.. I flew jetblue once to the DR and back....I didnt paying any taxes other than the tourist card( on arrival).... I am pretty sure that all the big US airlines include these fees in your total ticket price

if you fly out of canada or another country other than the US..you should call jetblue to find the real answer

bob