First visit - Getting close

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
Hola,
First, I would like to say a big GRACIAS, to the people who put this website together, and to those of you who are regulars on the message boards. This is the first thread I?ve posted, but I have already gotten answers to some questions I had from HB and others, especially in regard to transportation from the Santiago airport to Luperon. Thanks to their input our arrival plans are now set.
A couple of friends and I are heading down to the DR in two weeks for our first trip there. We are staying at an AI, and don?t have a lot of spare funds, but don?t want to be stuck ?on campus? for the entire trip. We would like to see some of the sights and spend what money we do have away from the resort. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have been doing a lot of reading and realize that the schools don?t seem to have much funding for ?extras?. I can?t do much, but I would like to bring in some fun items for the younger kids at the school in Luperon. By that I mean colorful pencils and erasers and some other things that could be used as incentive ?prizes? for the kids. Nothing big or expensive, just little and fun. My question is, if I bring in a small suitcase full of pencils and erasers and bouncy balls, etc., (total value probably around $100 US ? I know it?s not much, but it?s all I can do) will I end up being hit with a tremendous tax at customs?
Other questions I have include drinking water dos and don?ts, tipping, and several others I can?t think of right now, but I?m sure I will. Any help is appreciated.
Hannah

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They usually do not open suitcases of tourists if they are not carrying any boxes or commercial looking items. If they do, just play dumb and if they continue to hassle you, hand them $10.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
DO NOT tip them unless you have something you need to hide from them.
TIPPING them just encourages them to continue harrassing tourists.
You do not need to tip them for gifts to school children.

Do you feed the dog at your kitchen table, or do you firmly tell him NO!
These Customs officials are nothing but overfed DOGS.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Water: Bottled, cheap at local "colmados" (corner stores)..
Trips: if you get into town you wont have any trouble finding stuff to do.

Your idea of pencils etc is wonderful...a couple of coloring books featuring Bob Spongepants or the Mighty Morphin Rangers will be much loved, too.

HB :D:D:D

PS: You are surely welcome to visit the Hovel here in Santiago....:p:p

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
Thanks

Thank you all for the information. HB, we're actually going to spend the night (morning as we get in at 2:15) in Santiago, and then JJ is going to drive us sometime later in the day to Luperon. I was hoping to get some sightseeing in while in the city. Maybe you can give me some helpful hints. We will probably have only a couple of hours from the time we wake up until we hit the road.

hannahleea

Jan 31, 2006
Another question. I've read in several of the threads about negotiating prices. When is that appropriate, and when is it not? For instance, if I go into a store and want to buy a Lorimar pendant, is it proper to negotiate the price, or are negotiations just with street vendors?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
NEGOTIATE for everything in this country. Well maybe Bread or Beer have a set price in the Supermercado/Colmado! I would absolutely negotiate Jewelery.