Your favorite "weird" or "rare" Dominican foods

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Mr DR I'm biting off your post.

I had asked in your post if anyone knew what bofe was so I got inspired and decided to come up with this post.

This post is not for those with a faint stomach. I know there are many people that like to eat "weird" or "rare" things. I am one of them. For example when I went to India last year I had snake for the 3rd time in my life (had a few other things but won't dare to post on here).

When in the D.R. I like to eat certain "weird" or "rare" things. Bofe being one of them. Bofe is the cow's lungs. The way it's prepared is they put oregano and lots of salt on it and put it out to dry. It is then fried and served with the side of your choice. I usually like it with batata frita.

Another food I like is Ubre. Ubre is the cow's tities. This one can be prepared boiled or fried. I prefer mine fried.

A lot of you might be asking "WHERE THE HELL DID THIS COME FROM"??? Some of you might not even know about these foods. Some of you might even say this is "chopo" food. But you know what - I DON'T CARE. I just wanted to share this with those on the board that like to eat "weird" or "rare" things. :cheeky: :paranoid: ;)

Anyone brave enough to add a comment about your favorite?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some people here in the DR and in Central America eat iguana meat. I visited an iguana breeding project in Honduras once.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Some people here in the DR and in Central America eat iguana meat. I visited an iguana breeding project in Honduras once.

Chiri. I've had iguana tacos. Deeeeeelicious!!! Had them in a Honduran restaurant in Ft Lauderdale a few years ago.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
D.R. morsilla is bloody good. And as a ground-pounder in Central Texas, the Kid ate armadillo twice - taste like chicken. Then we read about the armadillo-leprosy connection and we got scared.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I know someone's ex husband used to eat Bin Bin de cerdo. yukkkkkk
AZB

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I always see things like tongue, chickens' feet, etc at chimichurri trucks or the butcher and wonder who eats them. I think next time I will give them a try and see for myself how they are. Why not? It would be a waste of an animal to throw part away.

In Peru, I ate guineau pig and that was ok. Although, at first I thought it was a bird with the little feet on my plate.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
i thought it was wierd when a friend of mine bought himself a Christmas present. Cabeza de vaca. The whole thing. Skinned and roasted.
i was visiting a contact in mao one afternoon. They were in the process of preparing a chicken for soup. i grew up in the suberbs and never had that eperience. So they showed me how to pluck it. When we cut it open, there were 4 eggs inside. 2 were fully formed and ready to come out. The other two werethe llema coved in a membrane. Those went in to the soup. I enjoyed them a lot.
I can't get myself to eat mondongo to this day. I know it's one of the more tame exotic foods. I just can't get over the manure smell of it while i am eating.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I used to eat mondongo a lot with salsa picante y lemon with white rice. Mondongo is enjoyed the most after a long night out at clubs and then a 3am stop over at Marchena (santiago). Then one day I had a mondongo with some seriously bad smell and I got turned off for good. That mondongo was in supermercado central's cafeteria.
AZB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
AZB said:
I used to eat mondongo a lot with salsa picante y lemon with white rice. Mondongo is enjoyed the most after a long night out at clubs and then a 3am stop over at Marchena (santiago). Then one day I had a mondongo with some seriously bad smell and I got turned off for good. That mondongo was in supermercado central's cafeteria.
AZB

Mondongo is disgusting stuff. Ewwwwwwwwww.

Larry

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Mondongo is great. I'm a big fan of weird food. The classics like foie gras, frogs' legs, escargots are excellent. I had testiculos de toro once in Madrid, very nice! But I had pig's ears there as well, awfull, and calf's tongue in France, disgusting. Sometimes weird food can be surprisingly good, sometimes it's just how you imagine it to be in your worst dreams.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
qgrande said:
Mondongo is great. I'm a big fan of weird food. The classics like foie gras, frogs' legs, escargots are excellent. I had testiculos de toro once in Madrid, very nice! But I had pig's ears there as well, awfull, and calf's tongue in France, disgusting. Sometimes weird food can be surprisingly good, sometimes it's just how you imagine it to be in your worst dreams.
Escargot and frogs legs and any French food I love. Bulls balls and calfs tounges and cows brains all that other **** you can have. No thank you.

Larry

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I never had pigeons before until in DR in January. It was ok but the meat seemed a little tough.

Aren't pigs' ears put in san cocho?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Larry said:
Escargot and frogs legs and any French food I love. Bulls balls and calfs tounges and cows brains all that other **** you can have. No thank you.

Larry
Calf's tongue and tripe, and a whole lot of other 'specialties' are French food as well.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
qgrande said:
Calf's tongue and tripe, and a whole lot of other 'specialties' are French food as well.

OK, well I wipe those from my list of French foods I like.

Larry

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Had calf's tongue; taste was fine but just to think what it was made me sick. If you go to the right Fritura spot you'll find; bin bin, testiculos, pig's nose, modongo, pig's ears..etc... I'll stay on the safe side and eat my fried chicken...well...that is if it hasen't caught the flu!

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
AZB said:
AZB

AZB the one in super mercado central is bad. The one in Marchena is good BUTTTTT the mondongo from Don Pedro is better. If you ever are in the mood again try it there. Very clean and lot's of lemon (pa cortar la grasa) ;)

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Mondongo(s)

Mondongo is cooked in two different ways. Either stewed (good for when hungover) or fried (good for when you are done with a night of hanging out in the town). The fried mondongo is also known as cadenitas.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I was recently at a Vietnamese party where two very large ducks were "prepared". Everything but the feathers and beaks were served in one way or another. All the organs were finely chopped and used to make a broth with the ducks' blood. I don't know if it was the beer and the Cognac,but, it all came back up before the party was over.