Customs....Can I bring in a computer ?

mpctdes

Mar 11, 2006
I'm a resident, have been in and out of the country for 6 years, and have seen it all.... or maybe not. I recently asked one of the customs agents if I could bring in a computer, printer, etc, dutyfree, and was told that I could (educational material )
When I do, I can imagine being stopped at the X ray scanners because of the electronics, and charged $1,000 in duty. (they once charged me $90 duty for a $75 DVD player.
Does anybody know for sure ? Thanks
Michael

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Officially computers pay sales tax now, (16%) but not the 13% exchange commission.

In reality you could pay anywhere between nothing and alot depending on many variables.

If it were me I would come prepared to pay up to 35% and take my chances.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Distinction between laptop and...

I suppose you are referring to a desk top and not just walking thru with a laptop?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
ONe thing you might consider doing is simply ship the equipment here,adn the company will take care of everything for you. I recently shipped an eMac here through a company called FAMA shipping, with offices in NYC, and I was charged only 150 US dollars for the shipping, tariffs and delivery to my door. Not bad, but it takes longer as the stuff travels via boat.

mpctdes

Mar 11, 2006
Thanks !!

First time here in DR1 forum. Thanks for your responses...
In an effort to keep my sanity, shipping the electronics seems like the smart thing to do.
Thanks all

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Consider purchasing a laptop and bringing it in yourself on your next trip. Then no taxes or shipping charges.

deecee

Oct 29, 2002
Importing

Good day to all. I would like to know what are the import duties and/or additional charges/taxes does one pay to import inkjet cartridges for reselling in the DR.
Thanks in advance

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
Hi to everyone, when Judy and I came into the DR 18 months ago, we brought in a laptop as a carry-on. We had no trouble. We had a printer in a suitcase which was opened and checked by customs, but cleared with no charges as we explained it was personal.

Have a good trip! Bob