Banco Popular Services for Visas

jean2006

Mar 11, 2006
Hello all, this is my first time here. I have heard that there is a service offered at Banco Popular for about $300.00 US where they will help the resident of the Dominican Republic with the visa application by getting a phone interview with the applicable embassy (they give a phone number to reach an officer who will later call you with an appointment) and they assist with getting all the papers filled out properly and filed. Has anyone heard of this service? If so, could you tell me more about it? This would be for someone from the Dominican Republic to come to Canada on a visitor's visa.
Thank you!

Last edited:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
This is not exactly the case. In order to apply for a visa de paseo a dominican must make the appoint ment through a Banco Popular branch -- the appt will like take place three months later. They will give you the consular requirements for theapplication, which youthen need to pull together yourself: proof that you own property, you have a good job, you have a bank acct, etc etc. Anything to show that you are so rooted in the community that you are unlikely to overstay your visa on a visit to the States. And the consulate might still reject your application, even if you provide all this info -- bear that in mind.

The consulate has entered into this arrangement with Banco Popular so as to ease theprocess and relieve the stress on the Consulate staff. But while BP might help you with your application, they are not in any way a guarantee that your application will be met with approval. They are just easing up the workload for the Consulate. I am not even sure you can get an appointment any other way, so you are forced to apply throughBP first.

jean2006

Mar 11, 2006
Thank you so much for the information. Do you know if the BP also does appointments for Canada or just the United States? Do you have any idea what they charge for this?

marcosdemoca

Mar 8, 2006
Inviting a Dominican to visit the States

I am a US citizen and I am inviting a friend to come visit this summer. She does not have an appoint with the consulate yet. Should she go to BP, pay the fee and get the appointment date or does she have to get all the documents together before making the appoint? As the person inviting her I understand that there are certain documents I have to send her so that she can prove that there is someone inviting her and able to take care of her while she is here. Is that how it works?

jean2006

Mar 11, 2006
I am trying to do the same thing. The Banco Popular does sell visa applications for the United States I believe for 3400 pesos, which is about $106.00 US. I don't know if this is an advantage or not. From the little bit of research I have done, I understand that what we are told here in North America about bringing someone to our country on a visitor visa is not necessarily the positive experience and proceedure for the person we are inviting. I also have to send a letter of invitation. I understand that any errors in the papers can make for a lengthy delay in the process. It is not easy for someone who does not live in Santo Domingo to get there and wait in lines to have their application looked at. I'm not sure what the proceedure is to streamline this process or if there is a service offered so that the person being invited can ensure all papers are in order before heading to the Embassy in Santo Domingo. If there is, I would sure like to get in on it. I did speak to a lawyer here in Canada who said that the chance of someone coming to Canada on a visitor visa would be less than 50%. That's a little discouraging, knowing that I am spending this money and doing the work for a likely rejection. Sounds like we are in the same boat and any information we can share would be great.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
jean2006 said:
I am trying to do the same thing. The Banco Popular does sell visa applications for the United States I believe for 3400 pesos, which is about $106.00 US. I don't know if this is an advantage or not. From the little bit of research I have done, I understand that what we are told here in North America about bringing someone to our country on a visitor visa is not necessarily the positive experience and proceedure for the person we are inviting. I also have to send a letter of invitation. I understand that any errors in the papers can make for a lengthy delay in the process. It is not easy for someone who does not live in Santo Domingo to get there and wait in lines to have their application looked at. I'm not sure what the proceedure is to streamline this process or if there is a service offered so that the person being invited can ensure all papers are in order before heading to the Embassy in Santo Domingo. If there is, I would sure like to get in on it. I did speak to a lawyer here in Canada who said that the chance of someone coming to Canada on a visitor visa would be less than 50%. That's a little discouraging, knowing that I am spending this money and doing the work for a likely rejection. Sounds like we are in the same boat and any information we can share would be great.
I don;t think your terminology that Banco Popular is selling visa applications is correct. I believe they are collecting the application fee for the US government and issuing you a PIN number so that you can access the system and secure an interview.

jean2006

Mar 11, 2006
Auh, thank you for that correction. I just don't know enough about the whole thing. Shouldn't it be easier than this?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
jean2006 said:
I did speak to a lawyer here in Canada who said that the chance of someone coming to Canada on a visitor visa would be less than 50%. That's a little discouraging, knowing that I am spending this money and doing the work for a likely rejection. Sounds like we are in the same boat and any information we can share would be great.

I think the odds for a Dominican getting a visitor visa to Canada is closer to 0% .

jean2006

Mar 11, 2006
You sound like you have had some experience in this... Do you consider applying for a visitor visa just a waste of time and money? If so, what is your suggestion for bringing someone to Canada? Is there anything at all that can raise those odds?

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Howmar is correct about BP. This is just set up to facilitate the lines at the consulate. They do not ensure that your papers are in order, though you will be told what to bring. I fyou do not have the items I indicated above: proof of ownership of property, bank account, job, etc, you are unlikely to be given a tourist visa to the US. I dont know about Canada, but I imagine the scenario is similar.

El_Gallo

Mar 12, 2008
First timer:

I had been waiting (patiently) for the last 2 1/2 years for a K1 (Fiance) visa, only to find out that they gave me a date last year (2007). Not only did I not know or receive any information, but no one even attempted to contact me or my fiance to this fact. So after finding out that they didn't deliver the papers with my appointment, I calmly called the number that costs $7.00 (US) each time you call (and it's charged to your credit card) where I was told that they would have to do an investigation. Almost 4 months later, nothing... So I figure, to help expedite things, let me pay for her visa through Banco Popular.

So I go to their website in the US and figure that this should be a no brainer... I can open an account in the US and give my fiance a ATM card to access the account and she can pay for things over in DR. Well, after getting no response from my email inquiries, I call the main number in the US only to be told that each branch is separate and not affilliated with the other.

In other words the Banco Popular in DR is Banco Popular Dominicano, the Banco Popular in Puerto Rico is Banco Popular Puerto Rico and the Banco Popular in the US is Banco Popular. I have never heard of such a stupid setup in my life!!! So now I have to wait until the next time that I go back to DR to open an account at Banco Popular in DR. Any money transfers are just that, they are similar to a wire transfer between different banking systems. Which of course is not free...

Unfortunately, for a country that is making great strides to becoming both a business and tourism based economy, this is such a negative toward that effort..