Update on School in Charimicos

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Just an update and some new photos for those that may be interested.
The landlord was not going to renew the lease on the building used for the church and school so Joel-the pastor I am helping-had to find a new location and fast.
Thanks to many people here in Canada we were able to raise enough funds to secure a new location in Charimicos to rent and a few companies donated vitamins, medicine, and school supplies.
There are now over 30 children in the school and even a few Dominicano children.
The church is now working with a local Dominicano church as well bringing the two groups of people together-Dominicanos and Haitianos.
It was a great trip and very successful.
Please check out the attached link and visit the last two galleries for the latest photos.

http://www.pbase.com/jamesfriesen

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks!

Thanks for the response-glad you liked the photos.
Anyone interested in visiting just pm me.

G

gary short

Saint James I'd planned on being there in May now it's October. What can I do to help. I'll pm you. You've got to keep this thread rolling there are I'm sure like minded people out there. Hats off.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Saint James?

Hey Gary,

Love that-far from it though-I wish.

Anything would be of use for them. Pencils, pens, school books, shoes...anything of basic use in the classroom.
Of course, even if you want to bring out some food for the children for lunch or even toys or some candy.
They basicly have nothing so any gift is a huge help.

Of course, money-but not asking for that as well as telling others about it.

Thanks.

G

gary short

I can easily send all these items. Where would I ship to and how? Any input on this from anyone would be appreciated. I would be shipping from Vancouver.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Shipping

Wow Gary any help would be great and thank you!

You would need to address it to Caliph Joel Phils and send it to Sosua or PoPlata.

I will get you the proper address shortly since it would depend on with whom you will be sending it.

It may be best to have it sent to the airport in PoPlata but will advise.

Thanks again.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
jrf, I saw the original post and I think that that is wonderful what you are doing.

I will be in Sosua for 2 week in June and I will bring some school supplies, etc. at that time.

I noticed that you said they are now working with a local church. Would that be the church at the end of beach?

I have been trying to reach Father Victor at that church, because I wanted to know if I could donate supplies and things there to be distributed in the community/parrish.
In any event either way, I would like to donate to your school as well and if possible when I am there I would like to help out a bit if possible.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey tarrantino,

If it is the same Victor that I know his church Joel's church is very close to his-just down the street actually. They are in their new building now.

The churches don't really blend too much there. I am not sure why but they tend to keep to themselves. If you are supporting Father Victor already and want to help with the school as well that would be fabulous.
I will pm you Joel's phone number.

Thank you so much for your interest and willingness to help. Make sure you are there in the a.m. so you can see the school children and say hi.

Thanks again.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
If anyone from Canada does want to donate by cheque I can issue a receipt now for the donation.
No asking - just offering.