what do you think about this

Sep 19, 2005
Li Cey is a small town outside Santiago half way to Moca. Its the road my gf takes to go to school in santiago, as well as her father to go to work in santiago.

well i have posted before that the community there will block the roads( at least some have cause havoc on the roads with demonstrations and road blocks).
well they handed out flyers this past weekened that they are going to close down the road and not let any traffic through. and all those that try to get through will have problems.

they are going to do this tommorrow and tuesday.

they are doing this because a few months ago one of the bad guys got caught and is in jail in the La Riena police station.

and so they are gonna cause trouble to protest him still being in jail

I asked her what about the army, dont they do anything....she just laughed... I said the police must know , and why dont they just go there to control them...she said they dont!!!!!!!!

crazy....I remember on one trip i wanted to go out into Santiago on a friday night , and the word got out that there were fires and road blocks on the road to santiago in Li Cey AND Tamboril...so we couldnt make it into the city at all.

many times I have seen the burned up tires in the road in the morning.. and one night they were still burning when we came through, and there were huge boulders and garbage cans in the road... and trees had been cut down and dragged across the road.....but all the people were gone when we came through about 3 am.

does anyone else ever see this stuff?

bob

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Burning Tires & Garbage" Is A Common Means For The Poor To Protest!

AND,it can be very effective!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Licey and Navarette are both almost constantly protesting one thing or another.

It's very annoying but at the same time I appreciate people being willing to stand up to the corrupt police, though at the same time most of the organizations that organize these protests are corrupt themselves and have their own agendas.

Get used to it, it will happen alot.

Sep 19, 2005
let me ask this then...if I as a gringo comes driving through with my DR gf...what is the range of problems I might have?

they are going to throw things at the car?
they are going to try to stop it, to rob me?
they are going to try to steal the car?
they intend to do bodily harm if at all possible?

so basically how angry are they, and is it at the system, or are they looking to make a quick buck under the guise, they are "revolting" against some undeserved set of rules or something the goverment has done to 'them"

luckily the 5 or 6 times i have passed these things in the road.. the people are all gone

it has happened on the main road from La vego to SD
on the road from Moca to San Fransisco De macoris
and on the road through Li Cey

I saw the remnants of a road block one other place, but cant remember where at the moment...probably Navarette, or Mao.........

bob

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Gringo or no gringo, the best advice is to avoid the area or take an alternative route if there is a sniff of trouble.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Road to licey al medio from santiago is the worst in this area. this is the prime spot for all riots. For this reason many people will not buy property in that area if they have to commute to santiago for work etc. There is a zona franca there so naturally many poor people live in the area. Many riots are caused by the zona franca workers as well.
What to expect in a riot there?
Rocks smashing your car windows, as big as bricks and cement blocks falling on you. The best thing to do is keep driving and not stop. If that won't get your attention, then how about gun fire and molotov bombs falling on you?
The police won't go in there because the tigres are equally armed and gun fire is the common noise in the havoc. I know personally some police men who have shown me their bullet holes in their legs and shoulders. Cops are not looking to get killed in riots for a 5 k pesos job. Its a real hell there and if you get caught, just run.
They will kill you.
AZB

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I've driven through a few of these roadblocks and never had a problem.

Mainly they are trying to damage the economy by cutting off commercial traffic which forces those who are losing money to put pressure on their friends higher up to address the protester's concerns.

Of course, most of the people doing the actual protesting are on the ignorant side and may decide to do some rock throwing or worse depending how drunk or worked up they are.

It is also not uncommon for the police to take shots at them and you don't want to be in the crossfire.

9 times out of 10 the severity of the situation and the intensity of the strike is exaggerated, particularly by the organization that's going to strike, it's alot of huffing and puffing but there is always that 10th time that it's for real or things just get out of hand.

I tell my employees that apartments are easier to find than jobs and they should consider moving if strikes in their neighborhoods are going to be a big problem, because I will not take them into account if I decide to terminate someone over attendance issues.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The 10th Time...

We travel through Navarete frequently. Whenever something happens there, we simply don't travel through there. It is dangerous, do not try and drive through. However 'kind' you think the people may be, there is no accounting for mob consciousness and much drunkenness combined with both modern weapons and hand made weapons and rocks and military weapons and burning tires, burning trees and debris flying. You will damage your vehicle driving through burning tires and perhaps over roadblocks. I've seen a whole building in the process of being torn down by a mad mob, and the debris flung over the road. We've turned around in a hurry at 6am in the morning when the molotov's were still being tossed around to anything that moved. After that one, the town of Navarete was closed down by the military for two days, to restore some order.

These things are not a joke. Do not go there. Do not think they will let you through because you may be a peaceloving soul. Turn back, get out, and take an alternative route.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chris said:
We travel through Navarete frequently. Whenever something happens there, we simply don't travel through there. It is dangerous, do not try and drive through. However 'kind' you think the people may be, there is no accounting for mob consciousness and much drunkenness combined with both modern weapons and hand made weapons and rocks and military weapons and burning tires, burning trees and debris flying. You will damage your vehicle driving through burning tires and perhaps over roadblocks. I've seen a whole building in the process of being torn down by a mad mob, and the debris flung over the road. We've turned around in a hurry at 6am in the morning when the molotov's were still being tossed around to anything that moved. After that one, the town of Navarete was closed down by the military for two days, to restore some order.

These things are not a joke. Do not go there. Do not think they will let you through because you may be a peaceloving soul. Turn back, get out, and take an alternative route.

If the authorities haven't arrived, you may step out of your vehicle and after identifying one of the demonstration leaders, express your sympathy with their protests and offer them a bribe to move a burning tire or two, enough to let you go through. Experience tells me that the best bribe is a cold Presidente beer. So I suggest you always carry an ice chest full of cold Presidentes wherever/whenever you travel...

-

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mirador said:
If the authorities haven't arrived, you may step out of your vehicle and after identifying one of the demonstration leaders, express your sympathy with their protests and offer them a bribe to move a burning tire or two, enough to let you go through. Experience tells me that the best bribe is a cold Presidente beer. So I suggest you always carry an ice chest full of cold Presidentes wherever/whenever you travel...

-

You must be kidding ... stepping out of your vehicle and finding a leader in amongst rampaging mobs is not in my future. But I do understand and know the 'sense' of what you are saying. It is just that the leaders don't stand at the forefront and wait for folks to come by to offer them a beer. They are also ducking the bullets and taking part in the destruction. I am not talking about a peaceful demonstration Mirador.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chris said:
You must be kidding ... stepping out of your vehicle and finding a leader in amongst rampaging mobs is not in my future. But I do understand know the 'sense' of what you are saying. It is just that the leaders don't stand at the forefront and wait for folks to come by to offer them a beer. They are also ducking the bullets and taking part in the destruction. I am not talking about a peaceful demonstration Mirador.

Chris, you missed my opening phrase, "if the authorities haven't arrived,..." In the DR, all demonstrations are peaceful until the authorities arrive, and then they turn ugly. Obviously, I would never recommend anyone from staying around once the authorities approach. I've done this time and time again, and there is always a demostrator in the forefront who can authorize others to open up the road for you. These are the ones I call 'leaders'.

-

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Next time there is a real doozie in Navarete, I'll let you know to come along and show us how it is done :cheeky: I just don't promise to follow!

Mirador, I grew up in Africa. I've organized demonstrations. I understand them. Sometimes I run! The last one in Navarete, we ran from - and that was at 6am in the morning, before the authorities arrived. They were waiting outside for things to calm down. This was urban warfare!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chris said:
Next time there is a real doozie in Navarete, I'll let you know to come along and show us how it is done :cheeky: I just don't promise to follow!

Mirador, I grew up in Africa. I've organized demonstrations. I understand them. Sometimes I run! The last one in Navarete, we ran from - and that was at 6am in the morning, before the authorities arrived. They were waiting outside for things to calm down. This was urban warfare!

Are you saying that 6am is a bit early to drink Presidente beer? Not in the DR! You are right, I'm not very familiar with Cibao towns, plus Cibae?os do have a penchant for violence...

-

Sep 19, 2005
Mirador said:
Experience tells me that the best bribe is a cold Presidente beer. So I suggest you always carry an ice chest full of cold Presidentes wherever/whenever you travel...

-

something tells me that , this action may lead to you loosing ALL your presidentes.. and that may include the dead ones in YOUR WALLET!!!!, TO buy everyone else in the demonstration a cold presidente as well!!!!! ha ha ha

I just have a hard time understanding why the army doesnt come in a squash this stuff....I mean they have to know ahead of time, just like every one else knows!

from the past it seamed all these things were during the night...this one "scheduled for today and tomorrow..is all day!!!!

hey AZB, can you take a spin over there to verify for us?? ha ha

bob

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
laurapasinifan said:
something tells me that , this action may lead to you loosing ALL your presidentes.. and that may include the dead ones in YOUR WALLET!!!!, TO buy everyone else in the demonstration a cold presidente as well!!!!! ha ha ha

I just have a hard time understanding why the army doesnt come in a squash this stuff....I mean they have to know ahead of time, just like every one else knows!

from the past it seamed all these things were during the night...this one "scheduled for today and tomorrow..is all day!!!!

hey AZB, can you take a spin over there to verify for us?? ha ha

bob

And if you see my maid over there let her know that the dishes aren't going to wash themselves.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mirador said:
Are you saying that 6am is a bit early to drink Presidente beer? Not in the DR! You are right, I'm not very familiar with Cibao towns, plus Cibae?os do have a penchant for violence...

-

Hehehehe... I'm saying a Presidente does not make a good weapon under these circumstances. I could not imagine protecting myself by pulling off the cap and saying 'wooosh, you're dead!' to the mad mob!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
MrMike said:
And if you see my maid over there let her know that the dishes aren't going to wash themselves.

You are so.freaking.funny. Do you know that I stalk you all over the board because I know you'll make me laugh in at least 75% of your posts?