Why the Dominican Republic is Poor

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Very good article Mirador thank you. And as you said, "feel free to substitute the named country for "Dominican Republic"..."

Rick

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The library building anecdote reminds me of so many things, in the DR and beyond.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wow! Outstanding article!

I'd like to see it tattooed to the inside of the eyelids of all Dominican politicians...

Such a beautiful place. Such unrealized potential.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
This

"...a project designed for prestige rather than use", reminds me of a "mass transit" thread in progress.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
NALs said:
Now that we "know" the inner workings of such, let's now focus on international influences on the majority of the world's countries which are poor.

http://www.zmag.org/ParEcon/palastimf.htm

Every coin has two sides.

-NALs

Edited to add: For those of you who develop an interest into this, simply click here for a sample.

http://www.plutobooks.com/pdf/0745318460.pdf
Are you friggin serious?? Of course there is an international influence, but Jesus H Christ, you can't be saying that the DR is not responsible for most of its own problems :tired: .........this guy. And it's another Dominican telling you, not a gringo that never lived there.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Criss your assertions I agree with. It's always nice to say 'the devil made me do it' but the fact remains that these are very rich and well off idiots with their hands out looking for more pocket stuffers. In the mean time the general population is made to suffer.

The question then arises as to why the Dominican government and other countries get themselves in this position. It must be because they had no choice and the IMF twisted their arm (while stuffing money in their palms). Needless to say that the DR couldn't do what Botswana did as nobody is as powerful and well off like Botswana (tongue in cheek).

Rick

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Jon S. said:
Are you friggin serious?? Of course there is an international influence, but Jesus H Christ, you can't be saying that the DR is not responsible for most of its own problems :tired: .........this guy. And it's another Dominican telling you, not a gringo that never lived there.
Don't any of you... ah, never mind.

Just remember, sometimes people want to know who reads what from whom on sites like these.

Other times, it's called balancing the topic. Some people seem to have a problem with this...

-NALs

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I would say this thread is not about balancing the topic, but rather about balancing the books. I would also suggest Botswana is just a few steps ahead of the DR in this department. Anyone on this board been there? They do use their resources rather well for very small country. For example, you don't have to pay someone under the table to bring something into the country. Business is just a tad more transparent.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Nals the only reason that you are getting these responses is because of your insertion of “Every coin has two sides.” If you had left your post as is and eliminated the above quote the responses would have been different. With the aforementioned quote you put yourself in a defensive position as to why the DR and all countries get in the clutches of the IMF instead of putting the blame where it lies. This defensive position has a tendency to try to direct the blame to someone or something else rather then to where it belongs.

Rick

PS Regardless of the position of Botswana in comparison to the DR it still has no bearing on the issue

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
Nals the only reason that you are getting these responses is because of your insertion of “Every coin has two sides.” If you had left your post as is and eliminated the above quote the responses would have been different. With the aforementioned quote you put yourself in a defensive position as to why the DR and all countries get in the clutches of the IMF instead of putting the blame where it lies. This defensive position has a tendency to try to direct the blame to someone or something else rather then to where it belongs.

Rick

PS Regardless of the position of Botswana in comparison to the DR it still has no bearing on the issue
I know Rick, but people are judging all nations as if all are the same when they are not. I am not refering to cultural difference, but rather on level of autonomy within various aspects, such as political, economical, militarily, the power relation it has towards other nations, etc.

Only a handful of nations, most first world, could be considered real states. The rest are a mishmash of semi-independent states which are not fully able to exercise their own will due to foreign influences that hampers such. What country is more autonomous in all aspects? DR or Belgium? US or Mexico? Japan or Philipines?

There is more than one force affecting nations, to take the stand and assume that nations are the way they are because they chose to be that way is a little unrealistic, I think. Particularly when referring to a nation like the DR, a country that is not autonomous in most spheres that constitute an independent state.

Is this blaming others? No. What this is, is spreading the blame to all the agents that deserve such. Mirador placed it on the homefront and I extended it beyond. Like I said, some people don't like the beyond part.

In anycase, here are a few articles pertaining towards wealth, nations, etc that I find very appealing, in part because these offer some sort of solutions to the problems, rather than simply sitting around and blaming the same people over and over again.

I mean, who is not aware that politicians are the problem? Well then? What will be done about this? Keep complaining? Hint, it seems to not be working.

In anycase, here are some interesting articles:

The health of companies and the wealth of economies no longer go together (this is not a big surprise to me, but maybe for others it might be)
http://www.economist.com/finance/displayStory.cfm?story_id=5556642

The hidden wealth of the poor (this is more of my way of helping the poor, rather then siting around blaming politicians for problems that the people can fix, if they really want to)
http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5079324

Searching for the invisible man (this is more of my way of helping the poor, by encouraging them to be leaders of their own lives)
http://www.economist.com/finance/displayStory.cfm?story_id=5601890

How to measure economies (this is more interesting concerning measuring national economies beyond the traditional GDP comparisons)
http://www.economist.com/finance/displayStory.cfm?story_id=5504103

The great thrift shift (this is the biggest worry I have of the United States economy, mostly because much of the world economy depends on this one giant behemoth of a nation – a nation that is on a path to self-destruction if it does not changes its current economic habits)
http://www.economist.com/surveys/displaystory.cfm?story_id=4418328

-NALs

BTW, these articles are accessible to all, just click on the links.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So You Can "Google";ECONOMIST.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!

A REALLY LEFT WING SOAP BOX(ENGLISH)TOO BOOT!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Which came first,the chicken,or the egg???

The DR got itself into trouble,then went to the WORLD with it's hands outstretched! It is the fault of DOMINICANS,who then stole all the money they borrowed and went back for more!
I have no love lost for the IMF,WB,or any other "NGOs", who are nothing more than international "Loan Sharks"! But lets not blame the "Shark" for eating the "Victim",THATS what sharks do now isn't it??????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Actually Criss, The Economist is accepted to be a conservative publication, although it is generally respected across the spectrum.

The Wikipedia entry on TE says:
It takes a strongly argued editorial stance on many issues, especially support for free trade and fiscal conservatism; it thus practises advocacy journalism.

I'm not usually one to come to the defence of Nals, but he is right in that the causes of poverty anywhere are both home grown and externally imposed.

Unlike Nals, I don't think one cancels out, excuses or even diminishes the other. On the contrary - poor countries would be in a better shape to resist the external pressures if they were to go some way towards putting their house in order.