Venezuela vs. DR at 7 pm ET/8 pm DR time

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
All four teams playing the San Juan, Puerto Rico round are tied 1-1. Puerto Rico defeated the DR (7-1). Venezuela defeated Puerto Rico (6-0). Cuba defeated Venezuela (7-2). DR defeats Cuba (7-3). Who will advance to the San Diego, California semi-final could be decided tonight. Venezuela plays the DR tonight (Tuesday, 14 March) at 8 pm.
Cuba plays Puerto Rico Wednesday (15 March) night at 8 pm.

See http://www.worldbaseballclassic.com..._id=1348392&gameid=2006_03_14_venint_domint_1

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Both elimination games

Winners advance, losers are done.

America's game. lol.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Should be a very exciting re-match. Let's hope we can hold it together again. Admittedly, I'm a little nervous and scared.

Here's the lineup for tonight's game:

The lineup is as follows: second baseman Placido Polanco will lead off, followed by shortstop Miguel Tejada, first baseman Albert Pujols, designated hitter David Ortiz and left fielder Moises Alou. Third baseman Adrian Beltre will bat sixth, followed by right fielder Juan Encarnacion, either Ronny Paulino or Castillo at catcher, and Wily Taveras in center field.

Polanco is making his second consecutive start instead of Alfonso Soriano. Polanco went 2-for-5 against Cuba on Monday.

Baltimore starter Daniel Cabrera will start for the Dominican Republic against White Sox right-hander Freddy Garcia.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Trina, Only a Little Nervous?

trina said:
Should be a very exciting re-match. Let's hope we can hold it together again. Admittedly, I'm a little nervous and scared.

Here's the lineup for tonight's game:

I'm scared to death. Here it is 8 hours before game time and I'm shaking! This is toooo painful.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the Cuban announcer for ESPN (Orestes Destrade) keeps referring to the Dominican team as Dominica? I didn't like that dude before because I don't think he's very good at all but now I can't stand him. I mean, you could almost undertand if it was a gringo saying it. But a Cuban-born dude who's fluid in Spanish? I'm looking up his email address to send him a kind reminder that it's team Dominicana or at least the Dominincans. I'll even settle for Dominincana! Is it the nerves or do I have a point?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
DRPAWA said:
I'm scared to death. Here it is 8 hours before game time and I'm shaking! This is toooo painful.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the Cuban announcer for ESPN (Orestes Destrade) keeps referring to the Dominican team as Dominica? I didn't like that dude before because I don't think he's very good at all but now I can't stand him. I mean, you could almost undertand if it was a gringo saying it. But a Cuban-born dude who's fluid in Spanish? I'm looking up his email address to send him a kind reminder that it's team Dominicana or at least the Dominincans. I'll even settle for Dominincana! Is it the nerves or do I have a point?

You definitely have a point - it was driving me crazy, too. Maybe you should share the address, and he'll get that point from all of us!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Will send an email to Santa Brito, who sends us news on ESPN, to see if she can let him know about his mistake.

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Excellent Dolores

Dolores said:
Will send an email to Santa Brito, who sends us news on ESPN, to see if she can let him know about his mistake.

I just remembered that you or Trina had posted Santa's email address in a previous thread but when I came to find it you were on the case already. Thank you so much and I hope he gets the message and listens.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Baltimore starter Daniel Cabrera will start for the Dominican Republic...

Cabrera is a very young, good, excellent infact, prospect; should shine tonight...

...watcha think, experts?...

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Cabrera is more than a prospect

He put up some great numbers last year over a month to 6 weeks.

I don't know enough about him above the shoulders, but below, he's got all the tools.

I would think that the excitement and pride of playing for his country should help him focus on pitching. I hope he does.

It could be a great pitchers duel. That's my hunch.

Note: just to follow up on yesterday's ESPN report. Apparently a fishing vessell in the South Pacifc has Ortiz's home run ball from yesterday. After re-entering the atmosphere there is only a melted core left.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Daniel Cabrera, height: 6'7"

...consistently around 97 mph and has topped out in the triple digits [with a fastball that] tails slightly

able to strike out more batters than most [pitchers]. His career high is 11 strikeouts.

Daniel Cabrera, a Dominican Randy Johnson, Cleef?

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
No BB's

aegap said:
Daniel Cabrera, height: 6'7"

...consistently around 97 mph and has topped out in the triple digits [with a fastball that] tails slightly

able to strike out more batters than most [pitchers]. His career high is 11 strikeouts.

Daniel Cabrera, a Dominican Randy Johnson, Cleef?
Naah. More of a Jose Mesa type. Big, straight over the top righthander.

The VZ team will make him throw as many pitches as possible in the first couple innings, see what he'll give them and try and "put'em on, push'em over, knock'em in".

I can't wait to watch this game.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
aegap said:
Cabrera is a very young, good, excellent infact, prospect; should shine tonight...

...watcha think, experts?...

He's hit or miss. Trust me, I had to get rid of him from my fantasy team last year. LOL!!!! When he's on, he's great. When he's off, it's ugly. This is what Venezuela will be facing tonight.

To be honest, I think he really would've been best served reporting to the Baltimore Orioles and working more closely with Leo Mazzone, former Atlanta Braves pitching coach. He definitely has the tools and physical gifts. He just needs a good teacher to help him put it together. Take a look at what Jorge Sosa did last year for the Braves.

I think by June or July, they'll figure things out and watch out for this kid.

pvaldez

Mar 14, 2006
unofficial "Dominicana"

I am not from the DR but the WBC has made me an instant fan of everything DR. Being from Houston and totally into Willy Taveras I have made it a point to watch all the games that the Dominican team plays. I was totally hooked from Game one. I found myself trying to book my next vacation to DR. I am so nervous that the game is a "must win". I will keep my fingers crossed and my eyes glued to the TV!!!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
For those not in the Know, Daniel Cabrera is from San Pedro de Macoris!!...aren't we all.........

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
pvaldez said:
I found myself trying to book my next vacation to DR.
Try and hold out until November so you can see some of the Winter League games.

Then you'll see the thrill, and hear it, and taste it, and smell it. Live it.

pvaldez

Mar 14, 2006
Cleef said:
Try and hold out until November so you can see some of the Winter League games.

Then you'll see the thrill, and hear it, and taste it, and smell it. Live it.

Like mid-November? I am going to try to get a group of friends to go with me. Is there somewhere on the web that I can see schedule for winter league?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
pvaldez said:
Like mid-November? I am going to try to get a group of friends to go with me. Is there somewhere on the web that I can see schedule for winter league?
Judging by the release of this years playoff schedule, the 2006-2007 regular season schedule probably won't be available until 6 hours before the first game.:).

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Could not have been said any better.

rellosk said:
Judging by the release of this years playoff schedule, the 2006-2007 regular season schedule probably won't be available until 6 hours before the first game.:).
pvaldez

Just plan on coming after Halloween and you shouldn't have any trouble finding a game no matter what end of the rock you go to. East, North or South, you'll find games.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Dominican Republic vs. Venezuela ROUND TWO!!! :bunny: :cool: :D

rh4ief.gif

VS.

rh4il0.gif

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Done!

3 Venezuelan up, 3 Venezuela down!.

Is anybody doing the play by play on this thread, for this game?

Oh well.

DR scored 1 run on the first. End of first inning.

DR 1
Ve 0

Last edited: