Why are DR kids so great at baseball

Loader

Mar 15, 2006
I read a forum recently which asked trhe question, Why is Dr so great at baseball?" One response was that it is played in the streets.

I'm from Canada, I built a baseball diamond in the backyard for my boys when they were 5 years old. They played with their friends till sunset. They'd play forever. Now they are playing at USA colleges.

It's simply desire to play and repetition and skills.

We love the DR here in the Toronto area. DR atheletes continure to be an inspiration for our youth.

I am cheering for DR in the BC.

Cheers!

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
Let me see if I can answer your question. I will speak for Latin-America as a whole instead of only DR. Basesball in Latin America is a way to get out of poverty and get out of the country which to me is one of the most important factors. In Latin-America unlike the USA the majority of parents cant afford video games for there kids to playlike the playstations, psp, etc..... The weather in Latin-America is warm all year round unlike the USA, these are very important factors I think so.

manram

Jul 11, 2005
Basesball in Latin America is a way to get out of poverty and get out of the country which to me is one of the most important factors. In Latin-America unlike the USA the majority of parents cant afford video games for there kids to playlike the playstations, psp, etc.???????????????

Upppsss... at certain point you're right but not 100%. Moises Alou, Stanley Javier, Guillermo Mota, etc they were never poor. I guess we play with the heart.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
manram said:
Basesball in Latin America is a way to get out of poverty and get out of the country which to me is one of the most important factors. In Latin-America unlike the USA the majority of parents cant afford video games for there kids to playlike the playstations, psp, etc.???????????????

Upppsss... at certain point you're right but not 100%. Moises Alou, Stanley Javier, Guillermo Mota, etc they were never poor. I guess we play with the heart.

ummmm.. yes and no. Players like Moises Alou are the exception to the rule, most of those major league players came from poverty and I mean poverty, some where shoe shine boys (Sammy Sosa) and some come from the poorest parts of the country, most from sugar cane mills in the San Pedro de Macoris area. Legend says that they get used to playing with stones for lack of a baseball and that's why they hit so hard, I've seen kids and youngsters playing with broomstikcs and using grains of corn as the ball, IN THE DARK SOMETIMES, they still manage to hit those grains, which are thrown to them one at a time as batting practice (street style), it's really amazing.

Today every Dominican parent's dream is to have a kid in major leagues, even middle class or high class families, little leagues are full of poor kids and kids that arrive in "jipetas" (SUVs), everyone has a dream.

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
re:

HTML:
ummmm.. yes and no. Players like Moises Alou are the exception to the rule, most of those major league players came from poverty and I mean poverty, some where shoe shine boys (Sammy Sosa) and some come from the poorest parts of the country, most from sugar cane mills in the San Pedro de Macoris area. Legend says that they get used to playing with stones for lack of a baseball and that's why they hit so hard, I've seen kids and youngsters playing with broomstikcs and using grains of corn as the ball, IN THE DARK SOMETIMES, they still manage to hit those grains, which are thrown to them one at a time as batting practice (street style), it's really amazing. 

Today every Dominican parent's dream is to have a kid in major leagues, even middle class or high class families, little leagues are full of poor kids and kids that arrive in "jipetas" (SUVs), everyone has a dream.

You are wrong for the most part. I remember as a little girl in the DR i use to see all my friends palying baseball with what ever they could get there hands on, but they did it for the love of the game not because they thought one day they might become MLB players. You sound as if this is all Dominicacans think about and that is not true. Most dominican boys start playing baseball at an early age, i doubt that this is their main concern at that age.
And anyways baseball has been a favorite sports for the Dominicans for a long time. So what you are saying might hold some true today but this has not always been the case.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
You are wrong for the most part. I remember as a little girl in the DR i use to see all my friends palying baseball with what ever they could get there hands on, but they did it for the love of the game not because they thought one day they might become MLB players. You sound as if this is all Dominicacans think about and that is not true. Most dominican boys start playing baseball at an early age, i doubt that this is their main concern at that age.
And anyways baseball has been a favorite sports for the Dominicans for a long time. So what you are saying might hold some true today but this has not always been the case.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I sounded that way, it was not my intention. Not only do Dominicans love the game, it's in their blood, if it wasn't we wouldn't have some of the best players in the world, no one can play that good and not love it.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's very simple...the game you grow up with is the game you'll probably be good at. The same question is applicable to almost any game. Why are Brazilians so good at Soccer? Why are Canadians so good at Hockey? Why are Australians so good at rugby? etc..etc...

You play it for the love of it and those who are good enough make the money.

baseballfan_01

Mar 16, 2006
so now if a 3rd world country is good at one sport its cuz of poverty? no way... im latin and i dont really see that, all i see its love for the sport, like suarezn said.. i couldn't agree with u more... thats the reason!

i dont see kids thinking of reaching the mlb for the money, they do it for a dream of playing in the best baseball league in the world...