Cell Phones

raulito

Dec 20, 2004
Yeah i was just wondering if anyone knows if I bring a t-mobile phone from the US can it be connected with orange or tri-com?

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Make sure you unlock your T-Mobile phone before you get to DR. It's an easy procedure ! It does cost 350 pesos for the SIM card and I think it was 100 pesos worth of minutes.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ElvisNYC said:
Make sure you unlock your T-Mobile phone before you get to DR.
Does the fact that the phone is a working phone in the US mean that it's unlocked, or do I need to do something special to unlock it for use in the DR?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It needs to be unlocked by T Mobile in NY, in order to allow another carrier's SIM card to function in the phone.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
rellosk said:
Does the fact that the phone is a working phone in the US mean that it's unlocked, or do I need to do something special to unlock it for use in the DR?

Usually phones are locked to a given network by the network provider......so if you are on TMobile in the US and want to use it on Orange in the DR then chances are that it will need to be unlocked.

You can get phones unlocked in the DR for around 200/300 pesos....if you find it doesn't work once you are there

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
daydream said:
Usually phones are locked to a given network by the network provider......so if you are on TMobile in the US and want to use it on Orange in the DR then chances are that it will need to be unlocked.

You can get phones unlocked in the DR for around 200/300 pesos....if you find it doesn't work once you are there

No need to pay the 200/300 pesos to unlock the phone. But it's good to know in case someone has trouble unlocking the phone. I already had the Orange SIM card with me in NY when I applied it to a phone I had bought from T-Mobile, and when I had done the unlock feature the phone immediately recognized the other SIM card.

Unlocking your T-Mobile phone it's free, they can instruct you over the phone on how to unlock the phone.

Last edited:

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
rellosk said:

Like the other poster said, the phone T-mobile gave you are not unlocked and can only be used within the T-Mobile network. Once you unlock the phone, you can use another carrier's SIM card and get their network.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ElvisNYC said:
Like the other poster said, the phone T-mobile gave you are not unlocked and can only be used within the T-Mobile network. Once you unlock the phone, you can use another carrier's SIM card and get their network.
It's my understanding that once it's unlocked, it's a simple matter of switching the SIM card when in the US or the DR without notifying T-Mobile each time you change countries. Is that correct?

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
rellosk said:
It's my understanding that once it's unlocked, it's a simple matter of switching the SIM card when in the US or the DR without notifying T-Mobile each time you change countries. Is that correct?

Yes that's correct - no need to notify T-Mobile when you change countries

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I use my Cingular phone (originally locked).
I went to orange to switch sim cards, but my phone was locked and they sent me up the block to their affiliate,can't remember the name, but it was on calle del sol, next to the pizza hut, anyway they unlocked the phone gave me a sim card for a total of 300 or 350 pesos. I think they can unlock any phone.

raulito

Dec 20, 2004
alright so if I bring a t-mobile phone there are places where they can unlock it and activate it for me then right?

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
raulito said:
alright so if I bring a t-mobile phone there are places where they can unlock it and activate it for me then right?

There are places in DR where they can unlock your phone and activate it. However, why can't you unlock it here in the US? It's an easy procedure !

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
It's hard to get

phones unlocked in the US because the different companies are so territorial. After literally giving the phone away in return for a contract, they don't want you to be able to turn around and use it with another company.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Its my understanding that if you have a verizon or sprint phone, (or other CDMA phone) it can be re-programmed for use on the verizon network there. However, unlike a sim card phone (GSM, i.e. TMobile, Cingular, AT&T), I doubt it will work again once you return to the US. Ive used a place in Sosua, on Pedro Clisante, next to Plaza Alegria called Caribbean Communications. They charge 300 pesos.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A US CDMA phone, Verizon for example, just needs to be connected on NAM 2 and add a phone card. When you get home just switch it back to NAM 1. I was able to do this upon landing in the plane.

This is free at Verizon Dominicana, just buy a card.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
This sounds very easy,

Tamborista said:
A US CDMA phone, Verizon for example, just needs to be connected on NAM 2 and add a phone card. When you get home just switch it back to NAM 1. I was able to do this upon landing in the plane.

This is free at Verizon Dominicana, just buy a card.

but I'm not so sure all CDMA phones have this capability. Could you elaborate/explain what the NAM 1&2 are?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The NAM or Number Assignment Module is the electronic memory in the cellular phone that stores the telephone number. Phones with dual- or multi-NAM features offer users the option of registering the phone with a local number in more than one market.

Most newer CDMA phones have "Dual Nam" capaibility. My STARTAC from 6 years ago has it!