Caribe Tours-Reliable?

Kika

Feb 23, 2005
Can anyone please tell me if Caribe Tours is a reliable bus system? Do they usually leave/arrive on time?

I am thinking of travelling from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo with Caribe Tours to take a flight home, so it is important that I make it.:ermm:
Is it a bad idea to leave the same day as my flight?

How long is the ride from POP to SDQ and how long does it take to get from the bus station to the airport?

Has anyone had any bad experiences taking the bus?

Alot of questions, I know, but any info is much appreciated!
Thanks in advance

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
In my experience between SDQ and POP, the bus is reliable. It will stop in Santiago. Seems to me 3-4 hours is the norm. The bus is really cold so pack a sweater. Also, if you do not have a Dominican friend to negotiate, look for a posted rate somewhere.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I have never had a bad experience with Caribe Tours. I take it often from Las Terrenas to Santo Domingo and vice versa. They have always left at the scheduled time and I have always arrived at the scheduled time (give or take 10 minutes depending on the traffic).

You do not say at what time is your flight home. I must advise you that you should give yourself plenty of time for the bus ride since there is always a possibility of delays due to circumstances beyond their control.

Last edited:

Kika

Feb 23, 2005
My flight from Santo Domingo is at 6:00pm....
I was thinking of taking the 11:00am or 12:00pm bus...but that might be cutting it close...:paranoid:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have been taking Caribe Tours for many years. It is a very professional operation.

I don't know what MaineGirl was talking about when she suggested getting a Dominican to buy your ticket. There is absolutely no reason to do so. There is one price for each route and everyone pays it. The ticket system is computerized; there is no double standard on ticket prices.

It is true that sometimes you will want a sweater. I also take something but don't always need it. But it is better to have something and not need it than to shiver from the cold for several hours.

The buses leave on time. Maybe a few minutes late sometimes for one reason or other, but they try to leave on schedule.

It is always possible the bus may have a mechanical problem enroute, just as sometimes happens with your car. But this is very infrequent.

Kika, that is cutting it too close. When you get to Santo Domingo, you still have a long taxi ride, and there can be a lot of traffic in Santo Domingo. Plan on taking the 9 am bus. Better to wait in the terminal for a couple of hours than miss your plane. And if there should be trouble enroute, you have extra time.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
One possible problem you may have is that the bus you want is filled up and you will need to wait for the next one.

Assuming you have a 6:00 flight, I would plan on taking the 9:00 or 10:00 bus. The bus trip is about 4 hours and will take you to Santo Domingo. You then need to take a cab (should cost about $30US) to the airport which is about 30 miles from the bus station. Depending on traffic that could take anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes (or more).

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
rellosk said:
One possible problem you may have is that the bus you want is filled up and you will need to wait for the next one.

Assuming you have a 6:00 flight, I would plan on taking the 9:00 or 10:00 bus. The bus trip is about 4 hours and will take you to Santo Domingo. You then need to take a cab (should cost about $30US) to the airport which is about 30 miles from the bus station. Depending on traffic that could take anywhere from 40 to 60 minutes (or more).

I agree with this.. From Puerto Plata to Santiago, then to Santo Domingo you really need to buy a ticket of a bus leaving earlier than 12pm. I recently did a 12:45pm departure from Santiago to Santo Domingo, arriving at 2:45-3 pm leaving enough time to get to the airport and check in for a 7:30pm flight.

Btw, pay 700 pesos from Caribe Tours station to the airport, they try to charge you 800-900 pesos but you can get them down to 700 pesos.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
(Btw, pay 700 pesos from Caribe Tours station to the airport, they try to charge you 800-900 pesos but you can get them down to 700 pesos.)

Do you mean 700 pesos from Puerto Plata to Santiago airport? First of all, I find that amount to be very high. I pay 230 pesos from Santo Domingo to Samana, and second, no one has ever tried to sell me tickets for more than what they are supposed to sell for.

I agree with the others regarding the time of departure, I would leave by 9:00a.m. at the latest. There are lots of taxis right outside of the Caribe Tours terminal in Santo Domingo, but the traffic there can be chaotic.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Ken, unfortunately at the station in Puerto Plata, my dad and I went to buy our tickets and the lady sized us up and stated her price. I quickly ran to the car where our hosts were waiting and had Dib come and buy the tickets. Yes, there was a difference. Sad, but it happened. That is why I recommend finding the posted rates.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Amity, if you say it is true, I'm sure it is. But I've been riding Caribbe Tours for about 20 years and have never been overcharged and until your post have never heard of anyone being overcharged. You should have reported it!

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Actually Ken, the more I think of it, it was not Caribe Tours. It was the other bus system. I remember asking for a ride over to Caribe Tours, and young Dib said I would like the other bus better. Now if I could remember the name of it this willall be cleared up.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
MaineGirl said:
Actually Ken, the more I think of it, it was not Caribe Tours. It was the other bus system. I remember asking for a ride over to Caribe Tours, and young Dib said I would like the other bus better. Now if I could remember the name of it this willall be cleared up.
That would be Metro Bus

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Juniper said:
(Btw, pay 700 pesos from Caribe Tours station to the airport, they try to charge you 800-900 pesos but you can get them down to 700 pesos.)

Do you mean 700 pesos from Puerto Plata to Santiago airport? First of all, I find that amount to be very high. I pay 230 pesos from Santo Domingo to Samana, and second, no one has ever tried to sell me tickets for more than what they are supposed to sell for.

I agree with the others regarding the time of departure, I would leave by 9:00a.m. at the latest. There are lots of taxis right outside of the Caribe Tours terminal in Santo Domingo, but the traffic there can be chaotic.

Juniper, he means the taxi fare from Caribe Tours station in Santo Domingo to the Las Americas airport.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
qgrande said:
That would be Metro Bus

Probably not, since Metro is also a professional operation. There is another bus that goes from Sosua and Puerto Plata, but since I never take it, I can't think of the name, either.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
Probably not, since Metro is also a professional operation. There is another bus that goes from Sosua and Puerto Plata, but since I never take it, I can't think of the name, either.
She was going from Puerto Plata, so it would be on Javilla Tours.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR said:
She was going from Puerto Plata, so it would be on Javilla Tours.

Yes, that's it. I think it is more likely she was overcharged by them than either Caribe Tours or Metro