Puerto Plata Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melamar

Mar 20, 2006
We are taking our first trip to the DR in a few weeks. Any suggestions from Puerto Plata for excursions, hiking, shopping, snorkeling or ???? is appreciated.

Canadians at large!!

;)

amymartin

Mar 31, 2006
Do you want to stay in puerto plata????? Go to paridise island the snorkelling is pretty good there

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi Melamar

There is lots to see and do in and around Puerto Plata. First off, where are you staying - at an AI or a hotel in town?

In terms of excursions you can pre-book
If you are staying at one of the AI hotels in Playa Dorada, for example, you will be encouraged to book such excursions direct through your hotel. However, a short stroll to the plaza within the Playa Dorada complex will save you some $ as you will be able to book with one of the many tour sellers there who are all competing for your cash.

Tours include the Outback Safari, White Water Rafting, Horseback Riding, Quad Bike tours, trips to Oceanworld where you can swim with dolphins, trips to Paradise Island, trips on the cable car, days out on the Catamaran, plus others.

I am not too sure about the hiking.

Shopping

With regard to shopping outside the plaza - again you can pay to go on an organised Puerto Plata city tour which incorporates time for shopping, however I would be more inclined to do this one yourself. You can catch a bus into town from the main road outside the Playa Dorada complex and if you get off at Central Park you are within walking distance of most points of interest including many shops where you can purchase souveniers and such. Wander around at your own leisure and practice your bartering skills with the shop vendors :classic: If you want to experience a road trip in true dominican style you can always catch a gua gua back to Playa Dorada - you can catch these again from Central Park and you want to get on one that has the sign Rio San Juan - Puerto Plata in the window.

Snorkeling
You can snorkel on many of the prebookable excursions such as the trip to Paradise Island (as Amymartin suggests) however if you want somewhere to snorkel that's close by then take a trip to Sosua beach......I am not saying it's the best place on the North Coast for snorkeling by any means but it's definitely worth a visit. Again you can catch a public bus or gua gua from the main road or alternatively take a taxi from outside your hotel or at the plaza. Sosua beach is much nicer than Playa Dorada ....the water is clear and it makes for a good day out of the resort. Lot's of souvenir shops here and beach vendors to bargain with.

Nightlife
You didn't mention nightlife but to throw in a few names of places to party after dark - in Playa Dorada you have Hemmingways and Roadways that are American style diners with dancefloors for later in the evening. Drinks are pricey, both often have live music - at least once a week - often merengue/bachata bands play.

There are two nightclubs worth mentioning within the complex and those are Crazymoons (part of the Paradise Beach Resort but open to all) and Mangu (part of the Jack Tar hotel - again open to all). The later gets packed with locals on a Friday and Saturday night and beware of the sankies on a Tuesday as it's animation night ;) Entrance fee for Mangu is 150RD which includes one drink.....haven't been to Crazymoon for a LONG time and so I wouldn't want to comment on entry fee there (I am sure someone on the board can add this in later).

Off resort you have many carwash's (dominican discos), one of which is Az?car Tipico in Montellano. Here you will find dominicans drinking Presidente and Brugal and most of all lots of DANCING.......to merengue, bachata, salsa and reggaeton. Drinks are cheap :)

As for clubs in town....to name a few you've got La Barrica, Orion and Mountainview, plus....take a read of this thread for further details
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36171&highlight=clubs+puerto+plata

Sosua is also good for nightlife......have a search using the function above for more info.

Watersports
Don't know if you are interested in any form of water sports but if you are then head to Cabarete - east of Puerto Plata along the north coast, beyond Sosua (20/25 mins from Puerto Plata to Sosua and another 10/15 mins from Sosua to Cabarete)

Here you can surf, windsurf, kiteboard etc etc - and the beach is lined with restaurants and bars for a cool down drink.

My advice, if you are staying at an AI, would be to take time to go off resort and explore some of the real DR - meet the people and get a feel for the culture. It is not unsafe to venture off resort (IMO) - no more unsafe than anyone with a bit of common sense venturing out and about in any country.

Of course there is more to do and see than mentioned above but this should get you started. If I think of anything else I will add it in later!

Enjoy your trip and leave a trip report when you get back
Daydream.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.