2006 Hurricane Season May Be Worse than 2005

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Dr. William Grey, the hurricane expert from Colorado, was interviewed on CNN today. He said that as of now they are reporting more names storms, more hurrcanes, and more severe hurricanes than ever before this early. A very active 2006 season is expected and may be worse than 2005.

He and others said that we are in the 11th year of a weather cycle that may continue for another 20 years. Dr. Grey said we (meaning the US) were very lucky the first 9 years and very unlucky the last two.

One reason why the storms are getting stronger is because the ocean temperature has been increasing. They said it is now 1 degree warmer than in 1975. Warm water helps hurricanes to increase in strength.

As to why the ocean is getting warmer, there was no agreement. Dr. Grey said it is part of the weather cycles that we have always had. Another scientist said it was due to global warming. But everyone agreed that regardless of the cause, the fact ocean is warmer means storms will be more severe.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the info, Ken, albeit bad news.
Of course, the good news is that Sosua never seems to get hit at hurricane force, at least, in the years I have lived here, the worse I have seen is tropical storm level.
I do believe you have lived here longer, Ken.
Have you ever seen one in Sosua?

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Question to those who were in the DR last year around the beginning of July!!

Do any of you remember how was the weather?? Was it raining, yet??

I bought my ticket 06/29-07/09 and will be bringing a Salvadorean and a american friends of mine!! I HOPE IT DOESN'T RAIN!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
Thanks for the info, Ken, albeit bad news.
Of course, the good news is that Sosua never seems to get hit at hurricane force, at least, in the years I have lived here, the worse I have seen is tropical storm level.
I do believe you have lived here longer, Ken.
Have you ever seen one in Sosua?

I've only been in Sosua for 5+ years. Most of my time in the country was in Samana, and we had a couple of hurricanes that affected that area.

It is true that Sosua is off the normal path taken by the storms. Before they get to Sosua, they have usually headed toward the Bahamas and the US.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken I believe the Klotzbach & Grey next formal update will be out on April 4th. In the meantime, I've consulted the Psychics and Mediums Network online forum. They suggest a lower count than last year. ;)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
perlanegra said:
Question to those who were in the DR last year around the beginning of July!!

Do any of you remember how was the weather?? Was it raining, yet??

I bought my ticket 06/29-07/09 and will be bringing a Salvadorean and a american friends of mine!! I HOPE IT DOESN'T RAIN!!

You have come to the best place to monitor weather in the DR.

To monitor weather in the DR, see

http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

For information on weather in general in the DR, see http://www.dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
Ken I believe the Klotzbach & Grey next formal update will be out on April 4th. In the meantime, I've consulted the Psychics and Mediums Network online forum. They suggest a lower count than last year.

Sounds familiar. We had this same debate last year, and about this same time, as I recall. I would have to go back into the archives to retrieve that thread to see just when it was. But GreY was forecasting a bad season and your sources were forecasting a relatively mild season. Score 1 for Dr. Grey. At the end of this season, we will see if he is 1 and 1, or 2 and 0. My guess is it will be the latter, because all the experts agree the ocean is warmer and that warmer water means more storms.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken said:
Sounds familiar. We had this same debate last year, and about this same time, as I recall.

Yes, I remember - but had to do something to top last year - hence the psychics and whatever.... ;) You're supposed to laugh Ken!

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
I love this thread

Simply because it is predictions from well-educated... professionals, or from intelligent outlooks from other people.

Chris & Ken, you both bring a lot to the table in educating people on this matter.

Living in Florida 30 years I've seen a lot of bad times.... whether it your area or not you bear down and just hope and pray for you and everyone else no matter where it hits.Over years of living here I have learned there is no consistency from year-to-year.

As for reasoning due to global warming.... due to ozone layer.... polar cap, there really are no cut and dry fact's..... due to monitoring at such a short period of time.

Sep 19, 2005
we were wild boar hunting last year in Batero when the hurrican came through. It was very late june or the week of the fourth of july. the winds went to at least 50-60mph sustained, with some rain...not a ton or deluge like it can be, but it only lasted 20 minutes tops!

on the way home two bridges were washed out!...and there was red mud water every where. One of the girls we had with us lost her house !!

it was gone when we got back!!..luckily her daughter was with her mother that day!!!

is there aplace on theisland that traditionally gets hits the hardest during most hurricanes?

bob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
is there aplace on theisland that traditionally gets hits the hardest during most hurricanes?

One area of the DR that seems to get hit at least once every year is the Barahona area. Storms go ashore there, cross the island on an angle, and exit into the Atlantic, where they often regain strength.

But your question is about "hits the hardest during most hurricanes". Most hurricanes and tropical don't hit the DR, only a very small percentage do. And for storms that might affect the DR, it is more common that we get winds of less than maximum force because the storm is passing offshore. In those cases, the flooding caused by the rain does more damage than the wind.

onvacation

Jun 5, 2006
I read that story too. It just so happens that I live in the Panhandle of Florida, and I've only had to evacuate once. But it was more like a vacation than evacuation! But when me and my sister were on vacation a year ago, my parents had to evacuate from Dennis.