Best dominican beer

jerzyjack

Mar 15, 2006
presidente is good, but would be a lot better if they dropped the corn grits from the mash bill and just stuck to the german style of brewing that their brew so strongly resembles. don't get me wrong presidente is a very good beer.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Brrrrrrrrr!

jerzyjack said:
presidente is good, but....
Bohemia is the better beer.
Presidente is for chopos, tourists and people who love the ads for the presidente brew...
If that beer is not ice cold it reveals its whole sh**** flavour.
Salud!

m'frog

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
Agree, and will add that it leaves you with a dry caca breath:ermm:

Bohemia rules! too bad i can't get Beck's in DR.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a beer I had at El Tablon (?) next to the Monument in Santiago that started with "Q", that I thought was very good.

I like Amber as well.

There is no thing as "best beer". Each beer is brewed for certain "traits", called "faults". They are all different. FWIW, I'm a Certified Craft Brewmaster.

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
Supermercado El Nacional sells Beck?s and i think many others too.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Since my first visit to the DR 4 years ago, I had always sworn by Presidente. I don't even drink beer here in the states, but I couldn't wait for my first one when I arrived on vacation. Then a couple of expat friends recommended I try Bohemia, and I was pleasently surprised. I enjoyed it just as much at the customary nearly frozen temperature, and it is a bit more palitable if you nurse it a while so it's not so cold. It's also usually a few pesos cheaper, so I think I'll be drinking it more often.

An interesting note about Brahma's promotional campaign. I visited a large outdoor watering hole in La Romana; one of those situations where you are the only gringo in sight. Everyone was sitting on and around plastic tables and chairs with the Brahma logo. In almost every case, the beer sitting on the table was Bohemia!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The one you refer to is Quisqueya! Presidente is still my #1 choice.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Presidente is better in my opinion. Bohemia is good, but a little to bitter for me. And how the heck is Bohemia for the chopos?? It's the cheaper of the two. That's what i get at the end of the night when im broke.;)

WASIM AHMED

Mar 25, 2006
santobonao said:
BEST: PRESIDENTE

Why?: Beacause is the famous beer in the dominican republic and its taste good not like other that taste like water:chinese:[/QUOTE:

:cheeky: DEAR SIR IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN TRY YOUR BEER

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
The Breakdown

Presidente - Chopos & Tourists
Bohemia - Poor Chopos & Expats
Brahma - Middle Class Doms & Expats (who know better)
Quisqueya - Rural Chopos & Old School Barrio Chopos
MGD - Wealthy Doms & wannabe Wealthy Doms
Corona - Dom Yorks

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Ricardo, I like your breakdown. As I like Presidente best, with Bohemia coming second, and I am not a tourist, I guess I must be a chopo who is sometimes low on cash!!

Btw, where does the Ambar beer fit in your breakdown? Not too many people here drink it, but it isnt bad. Not as good as Negro Modelo from Mexico, but OK.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
The Ambar beer -- which is its name as well as its type, is made by the Cerveceria Dominicana, the same that makes Presidente. It is not too bad really, but you rarely see it. There are sometimes a few bottles to be found in the supermarkets. Dont think I have seen it in any of the colmados. Tastes ok, but maybe a tad too sweet. I happen to like amber beers so I buy it on occasion. The Negro Modelo is my favorite though, because it is strong but not too sweet. Becks dark ale is kind of similar. Again, not too sweet.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Beck's

Beck's is sometimes available at the Supermercado Nacional on Maximo Gomez in Santo Domingo.

Quisqueya beer is orina de gato.