aviation industry in DR

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
My partner's business is a classic airplane flight school. We currently have three Piper Cubs in operation. We are interested in bringing our PA-11 to the Dominican Republic. How do we do that? If possible we would like to offer scenic flights as well as flying lessons. Jeff asked me to send out feelers on the board to see what we need to do. If we can bring a plane down during our year of living dangerously (see my other threads--we want to try a school year and rent a home for nine months) it would make things that much more interesting.
Obviously, if we are bringing a plane, we need hangar space. Grass strip is preferred. And we have floats, although we are not interested in sea, just lake.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
MaineGirl said:
My partner's business is a classic airplane flight school. We currently have three Piper Cubs in operation. We are interested in bringing our PA-11 to the Dominican Republic. How do we do that? If possible we would like to offer scenic flights as well as flying lessons. Jeff asked me to send out feelers on the board to see what we need to do. If we can bring a plane down during our year of living dangerously (see my other threads--we want to try a school year and rent a home for nine months) it would make things that much more interesting.
Obviously, if we are bringing a plane, we need hangar space. Grass strip is preferred. And we have floats, although we are not interested in sea, just lake.
GA in the DR is somewhat of a joke. I have flown my 182 there 8 times the last year or so, and won't be flying it there anymore. High costs, expensive fuel, few airports, pretty much everything is controlled. It's not like the US at all.

Good luck

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Unwanted Competition

cobraboy said:
... I have flown my 182... and won't be flying it there anymore. High costs, expensive fuel, few airports, pretty much everything is controlled....

Same here.
For some time I had my C 182 stationed at El Portillo airfield.
They warned me not to do flights with passengers...that's their business.
I very much doubt that you'll have a good time with your aircraft here.

m'frog

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll pass it along to Jeff.

When we went to OshKosh last summer we stayed with the Piper Cub folks at New Holstein...a contingent of Swiss were there as well, and they said they absolutely loved flying in the States because the costs were so extreme in Switzerland. A shame. Good for us, though.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Not So Bad

I have flown regularly in worse place and in better. There is a grass strip airfield in Monti Cristi. I have also landed on the highway near Manzanillo several times. Your Swiss friends are absolutely right about the differences in flying in the U.S. compared to Europe. Join AOPA and stay involved in preventing the FAA from instituting landing use fees in the U.S.
On a side note, there is a market in the DR in my humble opinion for a flight school. I am planning to bring over a small plane in the summer to leave in the DR to travel around in.