Hurricane Forecast Schedule

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The next Extended Range Forecast of Atlantic Seasonal Hurricane Activity and U.S. Landfall Strike Probability for 2006 will be released by Dr. William Gray Dr. Phil Klotzbach of Colorado State University will be released on April 4. For the schedule of their subsequent forecasts, see http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Documents/Forecast_Schedule

Accu Weather forecasters are also predicting a very active hurricane season do to the temperature of the water. If fact, they are predicting that the Northeast US is likely to be hit by a powerful hurricane this year, and the the Gulf Coast should also expect another threatening summer.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks Ken. I guess it is getting to the time where we have to take the collective lessons learnt from last year and start updating our documentation. We've had such a brilliant winter generally that hurricane season still seems quite far away :ermm:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
2006 Hurricane Names

Alberto Helene Oscar
Beryl Isaac Patty
Chris Joyce Rafael
Debby Kirk Sandy
Ernesto Leslie Tony
Florence Michael Valerie
Gordon Nadine William

Already I can predict that the 3rd named storm of the 2006 hurricane season will be a strong Category 5.

NOAA's forecast for the 2006 hurricane season will be issued May 22

Although in recent years we have been thinking of the hurricane season as being from June 1 to November 30, forecasters are saying that at least during active cycles we may need to make that May through December. In 2005, for example, Tropical Storm Arlene was classified on June 8, 2005 and Tropical Storm Zeta classified on Dec. 30, 2005.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tomorrow is an Important Day!

Tomorrow is an important day for us that watch storms. We will have the all important Klotzbach and Gray updated forecasts for this year's hurricane season. You may all remember that last year we even ran out of names and ran knee-deep into the Greek Alphabet. 2005 broke all records with:
27 - named storms (tropical storms)
14 - strengthened to hurricanes and
7 - to major hurricanes (Category 3 status or greater).

The 50 year average from 1950 to 2000 is
9.6 - named storms with,
5.9 - strengthening to hurricanes and
2.3 - becoming major hurricanes.

In December 2005, Klotzbach and Gray gave their forecast for 2006 as well above average:
17 - named storms,
9 - of which 9 will become hurricanes and
5 - will develop into major hurricanes.

Let's wait for tomorrow to see what the experts say and how they adjust their forecast numbers. This event is usually our cue to start updating our hurricane literature here on DR1.

The Global Warming / Long Duration Seasonal Pattern debate is still going on in terms of what is causing the dramatic rise in hurricanes, and generally the changes in weather patterns that we've seen over the past few years.

Just for fun, (and to mess a little with Ken), here are the Psychic Predictions
2006 hurricane season will be very busy with 18 named storms.
The 1st storm will arrive 2 weeks before the official start of the hurricane season. And then they go on to predict damage to the Statue of Liberty in New York because of a hurricane. I wonder if they will give an updated forecast tomorrow as well (perhaps just after the Klotzbach & Gray forecast ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris said:
Just for fun, (and to mess a little with Ken), here are the Psychic Predictions
2006 hurricane season will be very busy with 18 named storms.
The 1st storm will arrive 2 weeks before the official start of the hurricane season. And then they go on to predict damage to the Statue of Liberty in New York because of a hurricane. I wonder if they will give an updated forecast tomorrow as well (perhaps just after the Klotzbach & Gray forecast

Chris, your psychics (or is it psychos?) may be on to something. A number of forecasters have indicated northeast US was likely to be hit by a major storm this season. No reason why the Statue of Liberty couldn't be damaged. In 1985, when traveling from Maine to the Bahamas, we took shelter up the Hudson River when a hurricane passed through lower New York and Connecticut. No damage that time to the Statue, but it certainly is possible. We were protected by hills on both sides of the river where we dropped the hook so "our" wind was 50-60 mph, but a tractor trailer truck was blown off a nearby Hudson River bridge by the force of the wind in the open.

Regarding the the first storm 2 weeks early, that, too, is a very real possibility. With the warmer water, say the experts, comes the very real possibility of a longer season.

I think we can expect the forecast released tomorrow by Klotzbach and Gray will call for more storms than did their December forecast.

Sep 19, 2005
hey Ken the hudson river is one of my stomping grounds for duck hunting. i go out all winter there. I will say that those high hills on the side of the river make for some wicked winds whipping up and down the river!!! they get channeled, and when they stack up the against the tide, it can get really rough. But i guess if you got to be in the water, you got to be someplace... and getting up river away from the big blow might have been the best idea.

what town did you anchor in????

bob

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Not sure where to put this

...but Ken posted this years names above, so goodbye Katrina

The last sentence is a bit chilling.

According to a link on the page, Jeanne is retired also.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Global warming is our biggest threat to increasing the size and intensity of hurricanes. Just 1/2 to 1 degree of ocean temperature warming means a major difference in the size and intensity of storms, as they grow expodentially with seemingly small ocean-surface temperature changes. And already the Greenland ice cap has dramatically shrunk and ice earthquakes causing big chunks of polar ice to break off the main sheet and then melt as they drift south are becomming much more prevalent. All this is occuring much more rapidly than predicted and will cause catastrophic changes to our weather in less than 100years unless something is done now. Already sea levels are rising measurably (Florida is "sinking" at the rate of about an inch every 50 years) and coupled with surface temperature increases spells MAJOR problems with hurricanes. And the DR connection? Costanza will become an oceanfront resort when it happens.

I won't see much difference other than a few more and bigger, more intense hurricanes than I've already experienced in my lifetime (as I'm 62 years old now), but the way things are going my 1 year old grandson is going to have a mess on his hands.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Dr Gray discounts the global warming theory as to why hurricanes are intensifying and why we are seeing many more storms. He is more of the opinion that it is long-term global weather patterns - and quite normal over long periods of time.

I really do not know yet where I personally stand on this matter. I believe global warming is a fact and a real issue today. I also believe that the issues around global warming may perhaps be 'downplayed' by the cadre of scientists that have a government involvement of some kind, in some countries. There are many independent voices now testifying to this fact. There is much more scientific evidence needed before I can personally say that I believe that the strange weather patterns we've been seeing, is as a direct result of global warming. Dr Gray seems to think that global warming is not as serious as what it is made out to be.

If you're interested in this, Gray did a presentation titled 'Global warming and hurricanes' at the March 2006 Bahamas weather conference. You can find the presentation papers here http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/Documents/Presentations

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with you Chris. I don't think anybody really has a handle on this. Lots of passion but no conclusive evidence. Those convinced it is a real danger point to warmer water, higher water levels, etc. However, others have equally persuasive evidence that these conditions have occured before.

If we are going to err, better, in my opinion, on the side of making unnecessary changes in life style, etc., that reduce the level of whatever might be causing global warming, if it is being caused by something we are doing.

But I agree, Chris, that we need to see a preponderance of evidence on one side of the issue or the other before we can say with any certainty what is going on.