A big difference....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It would be nice to think that you could contribute something constructive and valuable to this board. Especially as your a Caribbean Traveler. The again, maybe we should leave that to the people with a brown nose....

Robert.

E

ECH

Re: The bottom line!

Selling advertising space is the only (REPEAT ONLY) way DR1 has of generating revenue to continue this operation and stay solvent. This is a business and as such, must be run like a business. You certainly don't expect them to cut their own throat by "giving it all away" do you!Or do you think this site is maintained for fun and free information to the public.

S

Sol

Try the whole truth

Robert

I contribute many things to many boards, but not to those who are well known to cater to certain special interest groups and persons under the pretext of being an "opinion" or "advisory board"

You have stated yourself that Jim Hinsch is allowed to post advertising as he promotes your agenda. Any posts not promoting your favored establishments our friends are quickly deleted. I recall a series of posts several months ago regarding the Zapata Hotel that were deleted when they complained of that property. I could contribute much about that property, both on the actions in the Dominican republic and New York City, but they would be deleted.

As you so candidly admit, we should leave the skewed posts to those "brown noses" who may suffocate when you break wind, the truth has no place on this forum

How many people who read your positive commenst about certain properties know that you and Jim receive discounted and complimentary stays at these resorts? Have you EVER remarked on that?

S

Sol

Re: The bottom line!

No, I do not expect them to cut of their source of income, but I do expect them to disclose that their opinions are in direct relavance to compensation, be it in money or services.

I am confused as to your reply, as Rob Woodward was asking if he could post free advertising as Jim Hinsch does. The board owner honestly replied NO; Jim is a "contributor' (Read associate) of the board and should be allowed just allowances, again not disclosing to the general readership the true motives behind these remarks

T

Tom

Re: The bottom lineis truth

Ernie

We know that DR1 could not possibly stay in business and provide dis-information, oops! Information to the public without paying the piper.

My constant gripe (And I know I don't have to read this site) is that DR1 be truthful in their postings and admit their news is slanted, biased and designed to promote tourism too often I see people remarking that they depend on DR1 for "news"

Tom

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's try the whole truth...

In light of your comments... Why do you use this board?

Some answers to your comments.

*** Hotel Zapata *** Have you seen how many Hotel Zapata negative reviews are in our resort dadtabase? Surley we would have deleted them if what you say is true. We host their web site for a fee, like we host others. Thats as far as our business relationship goes. If it's DR news or tourism related and doesn't infringe our guidelines, please post away about Hotel Zapata. Even better, email them as well g.zapata@codetel.net.do

*** know that you and Jim receive discounted and complimentary stays at these resorts? *** If Jim does, that's what he's negotiated himself. Why don't you take that up directly with him? Maybe he can give you some advice on obtaining good rates. So you know, he has nothing to do with with DR1, never has. If you take a look in our archives, Im sure we have posted before about the histroy of DR1 and who does what etc. He is just a valid contributor like so many others.

Has DR1 received good rates on hotel rooms? Of course, thats the perks of the job. DR Tourism is our business, so we have some good connections. Most jobs come with some sort of perks. Do you have a problem with that?

Talking of perks... Dolores daily receives many e-mails from DR1 readers looking for information regarding prices on all sorts of items, room rates, additional hotel information etc etc. All of these emails are usually answered the same day or within 24hrs, plus some people have even been known to save money because of these replies. Are these perks?

If you have any further comments, please email me directly.

Robert.

T

trina

Traveller, you are wrong

I think DR1 is doing an awesome job. Jim Hinsch, as well, is an extraordinary wealth of knowledge. I don't mind seeing his "so-called promoting" because if you actually read the posts you are accusing DR1 of allowing, you would realize it is merely him trying to be of help to someone. What have you done for us, Rob???

S

Sol

Hardly

Trina, If I may call you that, I am hardly "wrong," but making a comment from a different perspective

DR1 freely admits they are a tourist promotion board when asked (And concur they allow Jim to do the same for his business), and are not a News source.

We have spent the last 12 years cruising the Caribbean researching ecological problems, social issues and changes as a result of tourism

We placed a post on the board last night regarding fecal matter in the Ocean at Boca Chica, but this "information" service seems to have deleted in (I don't understand this board all that well and it may be that I can't locate it), but after 2 weeks of random sampling, we found from 1500-2000 coli farms per 100 ml of water in Boca Chica Bay. The allowable limit in US and Canada is 100, not 1000 per 100ml, people swimming in Bica Chica are swimming in water that should not even come in contact with human skin, let alone swim in it. To put in politely, you are swimming in fecal matter.

If this is the type of information board you depend upon, I feel badly for you, especially if they knowingly keep this information from you

Best of luck

The people at DR1 and Jim are typical of the exploitation of the countries and their people Should you choose to believe them, so be it.

Who "Rob" is, I don't know

S

Sol

Re: Let's try the whole truth...

Robert

I do not begrudge you operating an advertising service with a little bit of information thrown in, I respect you for taking the time and effort.

Do you respect the same from a person trying to educate people that is your primary function and not a news service as many seem to believe?

As for Zapata, you know of the legal problems, I know of the legal problems, I did look at your database, I believe it was 5 reviews that said "never again", all referencing management problems.

You do provide an interesting board though. We are sailing for the North Coast tomorrow, then down the change toward Trinidad for the Winter

Best of luck with your experiment.

T

Tom

In lay terms please!

"We placed a post on the board last night regarding fecal matter in the Ocean at Boca Chica, but this "information" service seems to have deleted in (I don't understand this board all that well and it may be that I can't locate it), but after 2 weeks of random sampling, we found from 1500-2000 coli farms per 100 ml of water in Boca Chica Bay. The allowable limit in US and Canada is 100, not 1000 per 100ml, people swimming in Bica Chica are swimming in water that should not even come in contact with human skin, let alone swim in it. To put in politely, you are swimming in fecal matter. "

Are you saying your samples show the water in Boca Chica to be not fit for swimming? Thousands of people swim there daily with no problems?

Tom

A

A. Nony Mouse

Re: Hardly

Is this fecal matter from the 60,000 tourists that are in the DR at any given time, or are the 7,000,000 Dominicans making a contribution too? Is your 12 year study a cause and effect type of study or are you simply looking for problems which may or may not be related to tourism?

A few years ago the Higuamo newspaper reported that a Dominican Government testing group came to a similar conclusion about fecal matter in Juan Dolio. The quote was: "Due to the resorts dumping their human waste matter just outside the reef, the tourists are swimming in their own feces." Tourist are alive and well, and still swimming in Juan Dolio the last time I looked.

S

scaramooch

Caribbian Traveler, your research on fecal matter in the waters of Boca Chica is very note worthy, I would like to say that I just recently came from the DR and the Boca Chica area, I would like to ask you if you took any sample of amount of semen in the water since its well known that Dominicans go to Boca Chica on Sundays to have sex in the water, I did verify Jim Hinsch,s observation of this peculiar mating ritual by the Dominicans. My question is , can a person catch some kind of desease from all that kind of pollution?

J

Juancito

Here in the RD we use different measures. Tereas for land and so on. 1500 to 2000 coli farms per 100 ml is how many turds per cubic meter?

T

Tom

Never had any problems

I never had any problems from swimming in Boca, but I guess I'll remember to keep my mouth closed and shower after getting out of water

S

Sol

Your humour

I trust you won't mind if I use your comment at some time in the future, it was wonderful.

What the samples show are thus:

For every 100ml of water taken, the sample contains enough Coli Bacteria to grow from 1500-2000 cultures of bacteria in a medium.

This really is a enormous concentration indicating that raw sewage is being introduced at some point in the lagoon.

Our concentrations were highest near the center, I believe right where the public/private beaches meet.

Samples taken only 50 meters outside the inlet showed 200-300 per ml, so it would indicate a concentrated source being introduced into the fairly stagnant lagoon.

As for sperm, that is something we don't test for, but would be quite interesting and noteworthy if we could grow cultures of that particular animal in a Petri dish.

T

Tom

Re: The bottom line!/your take

ECH

You being a MD, do you remember back to the days of Inorganic Chem or Bio? What do you infer from those remarks of the high levels of bacteria found in Boca Chica?

I trust your opinion

Tom

T

Tom

Your boat

You aren't by chance on M/V River of Grass are you?

If so, I met you in 1988 in Antigua at (Brain cramp) the harbor Shirley Heights overlooks. Nelso Harbor perhaps.

Your boat is a 130' Oceanagraphic (Sp) survey ship/private yacht?

Tom

P

P.T.

Re: In lay terms please!

Tom, I tend believe the posts was deleted. It included the post of my challenge to Caribbeantraveler's post for coliform count figures for Boca Chica.

Let's hope this information is not buried in the sand. If the coliform count is verified as being high, in excess of 200 per 100 milliters of water, there is a serious health hazard needing prompt address.

Yet, have not heard of any serious illness outbreaks.

I have been to Boca Chica, enjoy the people, area, and waters. I will go back

Regards, PJT

J

Jim Hinsch

I'm not an expert on this, and what follows is strictly unconfirmed hear-say, but I was told that a study was done, financed by the Ministry of Tourism some years back, that concluded it would be next to impossible to cause any long term pollutution problem in what appears to be a stagnant pool of water because the lagoon, which is surrounded about 300 degrees by a reef that protrudes above the water level, has 40-some separate underground freshwater springs running below it that continually feed and "clean" the lagoon, which accounts for the continously crystal clear waters there. This is the first I've ever heard of a water pollution problem in Boca Chica and the water sure looks clean.

For this reason, I'm suspicious of this pollution report. I'd like to know more about who did this study and where I can call to confirm it.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

M

Marcie

Dear Mr. Jim Hinsch;

I think I can understand your "suspicion" from reading you?re other posts. You remind me of the Mayor at Amityville in "Jaws" who refused to believe scientists until bodies washed ashore.

Very few people read our reports, with the exception of a few ecologists, so I doubt it will affect your tourism any more than you yourself allow it to

I would suggest that if you own property in Boca Chica, or are a Town Official, you contract with an engineer and clear up this problem, it won't go away on it's own

As for contacting or verifying the information, we are a not for profit organization founded over 20 years ago by the Rachel Carson Foundation. Most of our fieldwork (As is being down now) is carried out by graduate students aboard a graciously donated private boat now outside the Boca Chica Harbor.

I would suggest that you contact Maria or Kelly at Caribbeantraveler@juno.com and ask if they are willing to impart any information. You could also try the ocean Sciences Department at Miami U (Florida) and see if they can be of help.

Good luck, and find that problem

We are currently operating out of Yarmouth Nova Scotia where I will be in the lab on Monday. If you wish to email me there, I will try and assist you

Marcie