NYC Salsa Lessons?

principe

Nov 19, 2002
I've been doing a bit of my own research, but i'd like to know if any of you recommend somewhere where i could learn how to dance salsa, but that wont rip me off in the process. I work on park ave, smack dab midtown, and somewhere in the area would be cool. I love salsa, and im tired of hearing 'oh you're dominican, and you can't dance' so its time to take action. Thanks....

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Well salsa is not like merengue and bachata, but anyone wiht a sense of rhythm ought to be able dance a passable salsa --and its a beautiful dance. There is another thread on here about salsa dancing that mentions various things about it. This website -- http://www.salsanewyork.com/ourdance...htm#DEFINITION -- has everything you need to know about the Eddie Torres school or style of dancing salsa, and also has links to lots of sites about salsa. As for where to go, PM Ricardo900 and ask him about because I think he is up on the specific schools. There are plenty.

Sep 19, 2005
I think that they way they teach salsa in ny is "ON 2" which I dont think they dance like that down in the DR. But if you are only dancing in NY, it shouldnt matter.

I am in the middle of taking lessons now. I can tell you the couples pick it up mush faster, because they can PRACTICE at home....the more you dance it the more it just becomes second nature.....

my classes are too big in my opinion. The class needs to be about half of the 25 people we have in the class.

you seldom get hands on teaching... and the teacher get satisfied when 10 or so seem to be picking it up and just figure the others need to work harder, or need private lessons. Make sure you have enough time!

our instructor keeps insisting everyone comes on their off nights to learn timing , styling and extra stuff.

the lessons were cheap enough It cost me 2.5 times in gas what the lessons themselves cost to get there and back ..!!!!

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Au contraire

laurapasinifan said:
I think that they way they teach salsa in ny is "ON 2" which I dont think they dance like that down in the DR.

There is one school (to my knowledge) that teaches "ON 1" Classic Salsa.
and I forgot the name:surprised, I'll look for it.

windrifter

Dec 29, 2004
sorry principe, this site must get very busy I actually pasted the url from their site at the time I posted. It seems to be o.k. earlier in the evening.
elizabeth

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
laurapasinifan said:
my classes are too big in my opinion. The class needs to be about half of the 25 people we have in the class.

you seldom get hands on teaching... and the teacher get satisfied when 10 or so seem to be picking it up and just figure the others need to work harder, or need private lessons. Make sure you have enough time!

our instructor keeps insisting everyone comes on their off nights to learn timing , styling and extra stuff.

bob

Bob, I used to take one on one lessons from time to time: though the cost is much higher, the lesson is much more efficient -- you are right, you cannot learn well in a big class. I think that a few one on one classes end up being more economical, because you learn better and dont need so many lessons.

I also think that regardless of whether you learn on 1 or on 2 you will naturally be able to shift the step once you get the hang of it. Though now that I have taken the time to study Eddie Torres' style, I will admit that his version of the step is a bit more complicated.

btw, I havent posted my findings on the clave and its relation to the dance yet, but I will soon.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I though Copa (Copacabana) has lessons every so often. I would suggest going to small spots like G&Gs to practice. It is critical for you as a man to watch good dancers, get a taste for different dance styles. You then need to develope your own style and incoporate those things/tricks you like to embellish your groove. Be assertive. You will know that you know what you are doing when you can lead a female (and even make her look good) who has rhythm but can't dance salsa per se. That has always been my litmus test to categorize whether a person is a quality dancer or not.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Why Learn Salsa?

Seriously, if you've mastered the merengue (and the bachata) I can understand the interest in salsa; however, if you haven't, why learn salsa?

Everytime I go to the clubs in Santo Domingo, as soon as I hear a salsa song, I know exactly what's coming next... everybody clears the dance floor :laugh:. So if you're traveling to the DR, why learn salsa? Everyone else appears much more comfortable dancing the merengue and the bachata?

-Helpmann :ermm:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
helpmann said:
Seriously, if you've mastered the merengue (and the bachata) I can understand the interest in salsa; however, if you haven't, why learn salsa?

Everytime I go to the clubs in Santo Domingo, as soon as I hear a salsa song, I know exactly what's coming next... everybody clears the dance floor :laugh:. So if you're traveling to the DR, why learn salsa? Everyone else appears much more comfortable dancing the merengue and the bachata?

They are not clearing the dance floor because they don't like Salsa, they are clearing it to allow the "know how to" show their stuff. Dominicans respect Salsa very much and don't like to make a fool of it or themselves with the one, two, three BS. If they don't know how to, they stay seat it. If you haven't noticed, when a few couple ventures to the dance floor for Salsa and their are good, everyone else who is sitting down will gaze a them in enjoyment. If no one is watching you, while you are dancing Salsa, it is time for you to call it quit, go learn few more step at home and come back again.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Jajajaj.....

Stodgord said:
They are not clearing the dance floor because they don't like Salsa, they are clearing it to allow the "know how to" show their stuff. Dominicans respect Salsa very much and don't like to make a fool of it or themselves with the one, two, three BS. If they don't know how to, they stay seat it. If you haven't noticed, when a few couple ventures to the dance floor for Salsa and their are good, everyone else who is sitting down will gaze a them in enjoyment. If no one is watching you, while you are dancing Salsa, it is time for you to call it quit, go learn few more step at home and come back again.
I didn't say that they didn't like salsa, they just can't dance salsa.

Many Dominicans (and others) can't dance or won't dance salsa. Therefore, why learn a dance where the partners are very slim pickings?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I agree with Stodgord 100%

That was my experience whenever I went dancing in the DR on my last two trips. I'm a die-hard salsero and had a hard time finding women willing to venture on the dance floor to dance salsa; merengue, bachata, no problem. Anybody still dancing mangulina?

Sep 19, 2005
I am only learning for my GF. She loves salsa and can dance it very well.

its nice to get a dance that you are not shoulder to shoulder . but you NEED al those people to leave the dance floor for salsa.....heck Bachatta is bad enough...stepping on all the others.

but the truth is Merenge is huge down int eh DR!!!!!! I have seen salsa played at the mangu bar in playa dorado!!!!!!!!!!

most places will give you a few salsa songs at least......

bob

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
First, I agree with Stodgord. It's about respect for the music to not even denigrate it by slaughtering it on the dance floor.

While I love Bachata and Merengue, in that order, I am a hardcore salsera.

Helpmann, you ask why should any dominican learn. My response is look in the forum you are posting: Dominicans Abroad. In the US, Salsa is a big deal. Dominicans are known for being able to dance ANYTHING and DOING IT WELL. We are recognized for our level of rhythm among Latinos.

If I was the OP I'd be embarrassed too. Shoot, I'm embarrassed for him. :cheeky:

There is a lot of social pressure to learn how to dance, especially in NYC where there are so many Dominicans. In my family if you didn't have skills by the age of 9 you were ostracized as some Americanita....:ermm: :surprised

Getting my salsa groove on
Deelt

helpmann said:
I didn't say that they didn't like salsa, they just can't dance salsa.

Many Dominicans (and others) can't dance or won't dance salsa. Therefore, why learn a dance where the partners are very slim pickings?

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
:cheeky: but guys great dancing makes wonderfull impression on ladies even if they don't dance with you, and there is this link, common knowledge, called it whatever you want between being a good dancer and good lover!

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Thanks everyone for your great responses. As far as some questions, I just love salsa, i think its pretty much timeless music, Im not trying to learn it to go to DR, I want to bag chicks here in NYC. Thing is merengue nowadays lyrically suckx, its cool to dance to the beath but all you hear is la vaca mooo, or some other vulgarity. Salsa is just straight smooth plus if the ladies see you know how to dance that then its like hey.....how u doing.