Dominican Airforce

R

Ron

CAn anyone give me any details on the DR Air Force. Equipment deployed, structure, base location, rank assignments etc

Do they have an ADC or primarily counter insurgency capability? Any knowledge of SAM's, both Missle and Guns. The only thing I have ever seen is a few old UH-1H Iriquois and a Dragonfly or two.

Thanks

Ron

W

Will

Let's just say the Dominican Air Force to date is still using Vietnam Era type aircraft that can hardly fly. Oh yeah, they just got some "new" aircraft delievered from the Chilean Air Force....wow.

R

Ron

Thanks Will, that confirmed my "suspicion" They only deploy aircraft that could be used against their own people or a possible Haitian incursion, the amazing CA-37 Drangonfly.

Christ, somone could go to Russia and rent a 29 for half a day and decimate the entire Airforce. A the going rate,thats about 60grand once you get it there

Ron

L

L.s

I have a few models kits planes of the F.A.D. they include some of the most modern planes of their time. The P-51 (in 1947 was still the best fighter in the world and the FAD had many of them) the P-47 (the F-15 of WWII) Midiun range bombers (B-25 Mitchell and B-26), the DR was one of the first countries to have Jet fighters (British Vampires and Camberras) there are few more but I don't remember them well.

T

Tom

Actually, the far superior fighter in 1947 was the ME 262, there were just not enough of them. In the allies hands, the P-38 lightning had a far higher kill ratio than the P-51 (which actually was a slug until the P-51D with the Rolls Royce was introduced). The Lightning saw little action in the European theatre, but was referred to as the "Forked tail devil" for being nearly unbeatable in competent hands. The Mustang's biggest problem was a lack of a heavy calibre weapon, the 38 was faster, could fly higher, dive faster, go vertical quicker and mounted a 20mm cannon along with it's .50's. The Mustang gained it's reputation in being able to go the distance with the 17's and 24's and actually engage enemy fighters. The 38 was the only prop plane with a confirmed kill of the ME 262. The Canberra was the first opperational British Bomber

Tom

L

L.s

Thanks for the clarification Tom,

Now let's make clear for the people who may read this massage board that, the DR is not a militarist nation stockpiling weapons to attack other countries, our constitution forbids the use of the military for other than self defense.

So, to imply that we have Dragonflys to lounch incursions against Haiti is completly wrong and missleading, the only time the DR has attacked Haiti was late last century when the Domincan Navy surprised a Haitian invasion fleet in the port of Gonaive (I may be wrong about the port name), the Dominican fleet destroyed the Hatian Navy and bombarded the port and the town setting them on fire, and even that was an act of self defense.

After that, they had never attented another invasion on our territory.

T

Tom

"Now let's make clear for the people who may read this massage board that, the DR is not a militarist nation stockpiling weapons to attack other countries, our constitution forbids the use of the military for other than self defense"

LS, I agree with you completely. I thought I had made the comment to the person who supplied what the Dominican AF flew would be typical of assets used for counter-insurgency, that being to put down a rebellious civilian or military coup. The Dragonfly has limited tactical offensive capability at best with no strategic value. A couple of pissed off rebels concealed in a tree line with K-47's would be a severe problem for the Cessnas trying to dump their load, let alone attacking a country that may have hardened AA sites. The Dragonfly is lacking in attack Radar and has the most rudimenatry of bombsights. It really is a trainer that many latin nations have bought to combat drug trafficing and as a means of supporting "shaky" regimes. It's cheap to buy, cheaper to operate, extremely easy to fly and has two hardpoints to attach rockets, bombs or a gun pod.

To be honest, I would not wish to go against a 20mm site with one.

I may have placed my words wrong, my conclusion was that the DR has no Air Force capable of agression, but a few A-37's for home defense

We (US) use the Dragionfly as a primary Jet Trainer, I believe it's payload is only about 500# with two pilots on board

T

Tom

Re: Dominican Airforce/my message

I can't find my message to where I answered Ron or Will, maybe thats why you were confused, maybe I placed it on bravenet.

In reading the reply from Will, he states the same: that the A-37 would be the type of plane used as a defense from a Haitian incursion, not a move into Haiti

Tom

J

jose

what a idiot and a moroon is RON!!!! he don't understand we are a poor country. we don't have resources for world class air force...

T

Tom

I don't see where he was an "idiot," just appeared to asking a question

From your name, were you a FAC?

Tom

T

Tom

If you were indeed a "birddog," you should know what Ron's email name denotes

Tom

G

Goat

One of the guys in Mil City said I'd find you here, you thinking about taking over a country without MIGCAP?

Seriously, you looking to move or just looking while on a vacation?

Dominican Air Force? We did some work with Latin Countries at the War College, this was the scenario for equipment needed to attain complete air superiority and neutralize all hard assets:

One flight of 2 Tomcats and 3 FA/18's. They have no Air defense command a couple of cranky old 20mike mike duals and some tweedy birds with Zunis. The figure was something like 3 hours and Airborne Cav would be Sierra for go.

They aren?t exactly an aggressive country, just a great R&R trying to get along

Goat

L

L. S.

Re: Dominican Airforce(Almost at war with Cuba)

Hi, Yeah I have to agree with that, he is either 12 years old or he hasn't taken his medication, besides, flying a MIG over the Caribean would be suicide at best, the American radar would pick you up as a Cuban figher and you would have F-16's and F-18's from bases in Puerto Rico kicking yer ass out of the skys.

We use the Dragonflies to enforce against drug traffic, But It would be nice if the Dominican Republic would have at least 2 dozen Skyhawks or F-5's, and a few F-4 Phantoms just for intercepting hostile air threats.

This is something many of you don't know, but in 1977, a Cuban merchant ship was intercepted by the Dominican Navy and force to port in Puerto Plata, Fidel Castro immediately ordered an air incursion on Dominican targets, the planes were Mig-21 Fishbeds equipped with 500 pnd. bombs, the Migs entered Dominican territory and make a couple of supersonic passes over Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo causing great confusion, the Dominican Govt. released the Cuban ship and Fidel called off the attack.

Like now, we did not have anything to counter this, I guess we have never felt we need some air defense system, but generally speaking, anyone who can lunch an air attack against the Dominican Rep. without having to worry about encountering any kind of response.

T

Tom

Take note of email

"Hi, Yeah I have to agree with that, he is either 12 years old or he hasn't taken his medication, besides, flying a MIG over the Caribean would be suicide at best"

You should re read his post (Once you got it there) and take note of his email address

Tom

T

Tom

Re: Dominican Airforce(Almost at war with Cuba)

", the American radar would pick you up as a Cuban figher and you would have F-16's and F-18's from bases in Puerto Rico kicking yer ass out of the skys. "

US wouldn't care unless they crossed the ADIZ and where are you going to get Falcons at Rosey Roads?

Tom