business Idea

Jacobb

Jul 30, 2005
I've had an Idea for a while and wanted to run this by you to get your opinions. My ideas is to bring window screens and door screens to the DR and some other countries. I was wondering if anyone has tried this before? I was thinking screen doors and windows. The only problem I forsee is odd window and door sizes on houses. Just curious to hear your opinions. Let me know.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Ya sure, windows and doors are both popular here in the DR, lots and lots of them crying out for screens. Your idea of screen doors and windows is a winner, sure-sure. The thing about odd window and door sizes is something good to foresee, good for you. I'm pretty sure nobody's ever thought of this before, much less tried it. GOOD LUCK is my honest opinion!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Are you aware this is already being done here by a few companies?

You wil find that plenty of high-end properties will have screens on their windows and doors. It's not cheap, hence the high-end properties using them.

I suggest you do a little more research...

ace

Apr 11, 2004
I have a few properties in Sosua. I had custom made screens and windows made and installed in 24 hrs .The gentlemen came to my place about 5pm to measure. He was back the next day to install. I have never had that kinda of service.The price was very good. I had to window screens, 2 long sliding balcony screens, 4 new windows and 2 bathroom screens. I'm not sure you can beat that service.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Why worry about size?
For years now all "western" economies have retailed screens as custom -- you buy the net, cut the frames and stuff the rubber strips into the frame material's grooves?
How you gonna improve on that???

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
ace said:
I have a few properties in Sosua. I had custom made screens and windows made and installed in 24 hrs .The gentlemen came to my place about 5pm to measure. He was back the next day to install. I have never had that kinda of service.The price was very good. I had to window screens, 2 long sliding balcony screens, 4 new windows and 2 bathroom screens. I'm not sure you can beat that service.

Do you have contact info for this individual and what were the prices like? thanks tom

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I had 22 windows done by 3 guys, for a total of about US$ 200. First visit of about an hour to measure all of the windows (and no, the Haitians don't make every window the same size, or square for that matter.) They came back in 2 days and installed them all in about 1.5 hours. For days, all I heard from my dominican wife was "why are you wasting all of this money???"

After 2 days, she then decided she was happy to have the screens. No more complaints. Now, she even occasionally says "thank you" for the screens after she sees her other family members suffering from all of the flies and mosquitos.

Now, if I can only get the maid to stop sliding them open "to get more breeze".

ace

Apr 11, 2004
twhitehead said:
Do you have contact info for this individual and what were the prices like? thanks tom
Tom I sent a PM to you. If anyone is looking for a very good window, screens,shower doors ect... guy. I suggest calling Jose. He works for Puertas & Ventanas "Mendoza Industrial his number is 809-399-7692, or 809-970-7692Tell him Dave from Puerto Chiquito refered you.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
ace said:
Tom I sent a PM to you. If anyone is looking for a very good window, screens,shower doors ect... guy. I suggest calling Jose. He works for Puertas & Ventanas "Mendoza Industrial his number is 809-399-7692, or 809-970-7692Tell him Dave from Puerto Chiquito refered you.

Thanks ACE - much appreciated...tom

RafaelPabon

Nov 11, 2007
yes. i have the same problem. We dont have a screen on the door into the apartment, so she keeps that one open, and opens the screens on the slider and the side window because if not, she says no air moves... sigh outstanding observation GringoCarlos

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I've had an Idea for a while and wanted to run this by you to get your opinions. My ideas is to bring window screens and door screens to the DR and some other countries. I was wondering if anyone has tried this before? I was thinking screen doors and windows. The only problem I forsee is odd window and door sizes on houses. Just curious to hear your opinions. Let me know.

Untold number of homes use window screens to guard against bugs, the reason you don't notice them as you speed along the streets it's because the bulk of them are installed on the inside of the window, to make their removal and clean-up easy and possible since homes in the DR use iron bars to protect from vandals.
Have you tried to remove and clean a window screen from a window with iron bars on it?

They use the "P" brackets to secure them to the inside window frame.

About the screen for doors, hmmm, I think most people will find it impractical with their lifestyle or house looks. But it never hurts to try!