May 16 election boondoggle

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Just got finished researching the newspapers to get a time line concerning the present upcoming elections. After compiling this information I found it interesting and wondered what other people thought about the present situation. This is what I have found;

26 Jan 06 - Elections campaign declared open for the 16 May elections with the stipulation that the candidates running for public must be registered before March 17 2006.

3 Mar 06 - The opposition PRD-white and PRSC-red parties presented before the Central Electoral Board their alliance for next May 16?s legislative and municipal elections, whereas the governing PLD-purple also submitted its agreement with the pro-government bloc.

8 Mar 06 -According to what the JCE regulation establishes regarding fusions, alliances and coalitions, the votes for two parties allied will be counted in favor of the one which personifies the alliance.

17 Mar 06

18 Mar 06

21 Mar -The Electoral Law is very explicit as to how the proposals for candidacies are to be submitted. They must be presented no later than 60 days before the date of the elections. The Electoral Central Board (JCE) in its proclamation stated that the deadline expired at 12 midnight, March 17. However, there has been a lot of problems in the preparation of the lists to such a point that none of the parties presented a completed list with the allied opposition PRD-white and the PRSC-red being the most disorganized.
The atmosphere has become tense, and the first challenge has arrived at the JCE: The small opposition party PQDC alleges that the PRD failed to abide by the alliance pact in four provinces and 16 municipalities.
While, in the PRSC the protests continue because of the exclusion of candidates and PRD president Ramon Alburquerque admitted that some candidates were sacrificed.

22 Mar 06 -The secretary of the Central Electoral Board (JCE), Antonio Lockward, stated on Wednesday that he agreed to register candidacies of the opposition?s pink alliance after the deadline to post them had expired after 3 judges of the JCE court authorized it. Lockward stated that the JCE presiding judge Luis Arias and the judges Ramon Hernandez and Luis Nelson Pantale?n authorized the action via telephone at dawn on the 18th of Mar several hours after the deadline to register had expired.

24 Mar 06 -The president of the Central Electoral Board (JCE) denied that he gave instructions to that court?s general secretary, Antonio Lockward, to receive the proposals for candidacies after the deadline established by law. JCE judge Rafaelina Peralta affirmed that the proposals for candidacies by the political parties were not received after the deadline established by law.

I think that when the feathers have finished flying it will be interesting to see how many females will be on the tickets. According to the JCE laws 12-00 and 13-00 concerning the female candidates running for office 33% of the candidates must/can be female.

Rick

PS I make no claim that this time line is accurate only that this is what I was able to find.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Rick Snyder said:
I think that when the feathers have finished flying it will be interesting to see how many females will be on the tickets. According to the JCE laws 12-00 and 13-00 concerning the female candidates running for office 33% of the candidates must/can be female.

Is that must or can? Either way pretty interesting, but quite a difference!