More questions on Sosua PLEEEEZ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
I was going to ask this question of the people that answered my other questions, but didn't know if a whole new subject was "proper procedure". So here is yet another thread........
1) I have read all the posts on cigars..and my husband would like to purchase some. The last time we purchased them at the Amber Museum in Puerto Plata..and from what I have read..it looks like we were really overcharged. So if you can tell me the name of the supermarket in Sosua that was recommended, ( and if it's still there, as it was an older post). Also the name of the better cigar?? Do they also have the tiny little ones?? ( cigarette size) Those I like!!!!
2) And how about a good reputable jeweler?? I had purchased from the store in Puerto Plata connected to the Amber museum and was pleased w/ my purchase, but if we'll be in Sosua for the day, I would like to give the proprieters there my business. I read there is a Harrison's, but I got TOTALLY ripped off by a Harrison's in St. Thomas and am leery of the whole outfit.
3) My third and final question...I am looking at the map of Sosua that I downloaded..just curious...if we plan on the market for cigars..the beach..Rocky's..jewelry..pharmacy.. yadda yadda Is it all walking distance??? The map is so deceiving..it looks like Rocky's is miles away from say....Waterfront restaurant for instance???? Just trying to get an feel for the area....
Again.......thanks to everyone for their wonderful suggestions. I apologize if my questions have been repeated..but I looked in the archives and things seem to change places a lot there, so I figured I'd better check 1st.
I can't wait to maybe meet some of you.....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Some Answers.

JRSYCOLL said:
So if you can tell me the name of the supermarket in Sosua that was recommended, ( and if it's still there, as it was an older post). Also the name of the better cigar?? Do they also have the tiny little ones?? ( cigarette size) Those I like!!!!
The Super Super on the corner of Pedro Clisante & Ayuntamiento, have a good reputation for prices and freshness.
There are 2 other cigar shops on Pedro Clisante, one right on the corner accross from Harrissons, and the other accross the street from the Merengue club, and they are both well known for good cigars.
JRSYCOLL said:
2) And how about a good reputable jeweler?? I had purchased from the store in Puerto Plata connected to the Amber museum and was pleased w/ my purchase, but if we'll be in Sosua for the day, I would like to give the proprieters there my business. I read there is a Harrison's, but I got TOTALLY ripped off by a Harrison's in St. Thomas and am leery of the whole outfit.
There is a Harrissons here, as you mentioned, and they generally sell high ticket items. there's also Hugo Ducross on David Stearn and Patrick Silversmith on Pedro Clisante, accross from PJ's, both of good reputation and reasonably priced.
JRSYCOLL said:
3) My third and final question...I am looking at the map of Sosua that I downloaded..just curious...if we plan on the market for cigars..the beach..Rocky's..jewelry..pharmacy.. yadda yadda Is it all walking distance??? The map is so deceiving..it looks like Rocky's is miles away from say....Waterfront restaurant for instance???? Just trying to get an feel for the area....
To give you an idea of distances, Rocky's to the Waterfront at a casual stroll would take 5 minutes

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Everything is withing walking distance. I would say Rockys is about a 5 minute walk to the beach. It is a great place to eat, drink a beer, and meet people. Harrisons jewlers is on the corner of the same street as Rockys although I cannot attest to how reputable they are. There is a cigar place on Pedro Clisante on the way to the beach...avoid buying cigars on the beach because they will be advertised as "Cubans" but will be imitation cheap cigars.

If you use Rockys as your focal point, Sosua will be fairly easy to navigate around it.

Larry

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Thanks...(that was quick!!) And I full well plan on using Rocky's as a focal point. Is the Playero Supermarket still there?? I see (2) listed..what's the difference?? I can't believe Rocky's is 5 minutes from Waterfront!!! On this map it looks MILES away!!!...Hmmnnn..I better not hit Rocky's 1st, or my husband may "suddenly" develop a knee injury or something, and I'll have to shop alone. Better to bring pesos?? USD?? I try not to use credit cards...
(28) days..not that I'm counting....

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
does anyone have a suggestion on my "name of a good cigar" question?? Something nice that won't "break the bank"??? My husband enjoys them, but he's certainly no expert...he'd appreciate the help.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
JRSYCOLL said:
Is the Playero Supermarket still there?? I see (2) listed..what's the difference??
The one on the highway at the traffic lights, we refer to as the resident's Playero. The in town one accross from PJ's has less selection and charges 15% to 20% more. We call it the tourist Playero.
Better to bring pesos?? USD?? [/QUOTE]Pesos are best, and if all you have is US dollars, you can change them in Sosua for pesos.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
DO NOT buy Pesos in the US, you will get like 28/USD at AMEX in NY.

Change your USD into RD Pesos in Sosua, the rate is somewhere between 32.30 and 32.60 if i had to guess today!

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
re Rocky
Isn't that only a myth, that the prising is different at the two Playeros ? I shop at both regularly, and have yet not discovered any difference, not on the items I usually buy anyway.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Tor said:
re Rocky
Isn't that only a myth, that the prising is different at the two Playeros ? I shop at both regularly, and have yet not discovered any difference, not on the items I usually buy anyway.
If it's a Myth, then it's recent.
I have definitely seen price differentials, in the past.
As I have not purchased anything at the intown Playero for years, I can't say for sure if they still overcharge.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think this must be an old thing, or just regard a very limited amount of items.

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
I guess everyone missed the cigar question.....can anyone recommend a good cigar....that's not too expensive. Also..I like the little cigars like cigarettes ...what are they called??

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Don Guiilermo makes a wonderful local cigar in the DR. Also, I would put Arturo Fuentes' 858 up against almost any cigar. It is a great smoke and very reasonably priced.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
JRSYCOLL said:
Also..I like the little cigars like cigarettes ...what are they called??
I think in the US they're called cigarillos. I don't know what they'd call them in the DR, since cigarillo is the Spanish word for cigarette.

If you are looking for a small, very inexpensive (about 8RD), good quality (I won't comment on the taste) cigarillo type, try Principe.

Nomad

Feb 2, 2006
JRSYCOLL said:
I was going to ask this question of the people that answered my other questions, but didn't know if a whole new subject was "proper procedure". So here is yet another thread........
1) I have read all the posts on cigars..and my husband would like to purchase some. The last time we purchased them at the Amber Museum in Puerto Plata..and from what I have read..it looks like we were really overcharged. So if you can tell me the name of the supermarket in Sosua that was recommended, ( and if it's still there, as it was an older post). Also the name of the better cigar?? Do they also have the tiny little ones?? ( cigarette size) Those I like!!!!
Again.......thanks to everyone for their wonderful suggestions. I apologize if my questions have been repeated..but I looked in the archives and things seem to change places a lot there, so I figured I'd better check 1st.
I can't wait to maybe meet some of you.....

Easy ones first.

Everything in Sosua is within a short walking distance.

Harrisons has pretty things for very pretty prices.

Better prices in Puerto Plata. I kinda think I know what store you used in PP. Good store.

Do not buy cigars in Sosua. Usually they do not have a humidifier and the cigars are dry. Especially on the beach in Sosua. There are people who go to Sam's Grill and Bar in PP who sell very good cigars. Ask the bartender. Plus the have great food cheap. Located just down from the central park area (Near Casa Nelson). They also have people who design custom jewelery with amber etc... You cannot go wrong meeting friends at Sam's.

I can send you a map of PP to get to Sam's if you need it. Or leave Casa Nelson's (the PP answer to Walmart, decent stuff inexpensive) turn right. At the end of the park (Central Park)turn left. First right. It has a Red facing to the famous Sam's Bar & Grill. Will be on the left side.

I will call my brother in the morning and ask where he buys his cigars. He buys very good ones. I just smoke cigarettes. Sorry. Then post it here. There is only one "Super Market" in Sosua. Super Mercado "Playero". I but groceries there also.

Seriously, If you want good fresh cigars or honest prices on jewelery I would recommend Puerto Plata and use the people on this group to help you.

Nomad

Nomad

Feb 2, 2006
JRSYCOLL said:
Thanks...(that was quick!!) And I full well plan on using Rocky's as a focal point. Is the Playero Supermarket still there?? I see (2) listed..what's the difference?? I can't believe Rocky's is 5 minutes from Waterfront!!! On this map it looks MILES away!!!...Hmmnnn..I better not hit Rocky's 1st, or my husband may "suddenly" develop a knee injury or something, and I'll have to shop alone. Better to bring pesos?? USD?? I try not to use credit cards...
(28) days..not that I'm counting....

There is a smaller Playero market on Pedro Clisante. The prices are a little higher. Most go to the big Playero. Larger and better selection. Prices are a little lower.

Nomad

Nomad

Feb 2, 2006
rellosk said:
I think in the US they're called cigarillos. I don't know what they'd call them in the DR, since cigarillo is the Spanish word for cigarette.

If you are looking for a small, very inexpensive (about 8RD), good quality (I won't comment on the taste) cigarillo type, try Principe.

Cigarillos is used in the DR also. If you do not speak fluent spanish then use hand language. You are the customer and they want to sell something. It will work out. Just smile alot. Smiling works.

Nomad

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Gracias'

Hey everybody,
Once again ..thanks for all the help. I will take advantage of all your wonderful suggestions. 23 days n counting.....

FloridaHick

May 25, 2004
Tamborista said:
DO NOT buy Pesos in the US.
Change your USD into RD Pesos in Sosua, the rate is somewhere between 32.30 and 32.60 if i had to guess today!
Also I only change about $100us at a time. I find if I have a large amount of Pesos I spend my money much faster. If I have to go to the safe and get $100 and walk to the change house (cambio?) It puts the breaks on my spending of the 'Monopoly Money".
(that is not an insult to the Peso it just looks so different ant the value has changes so much in the last few years. I have no feel for the worth of it so I spend fast.)

Status
Not open for further replies.