Constanza Field Trip

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hoping to make one short excursion before we head home to Canada for PapaTony's surgery.
Need info on places to stay and sights to see in the Constanza area.

So.......get typing guys & gals!

Your info for our trip west was excellent!

Now I'm counting on y'all again to make our itinerary the best!!;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
MommC, Constanza is worth every effort. We stayed at Rancho Guaraguao which is high up above the valley, but there are other options.

Here's some more info from DR1's travel section. Here's my blog entry from last June. See the link to the picture gallery at the end.

The waterfalls near Constanza are called Aguas Blancas IIRC. The road from Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa is supposed to be even more scenic but it's in a terrible state of repair.

The 'Japanese colony' is signposted from the town. I don't know what there is to see but it sounds interesting.

Gastronomically - cepa de apio is a must!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks Chiri!
I've heard from one who went that the 'Japanese colony" agricutlure is spectacular and it's on our list to visit.
Due to a slight change (ok- more than slight) in PapaTony's medical condition we may have to depart for home a couple weeks sooner than planned so might not make the trip until we return to the island in the fall. Once we hear from his doctor at home we'll make the decision of whether to go now or not but I want to be prepared to head that way on Monday or Tuesday if possible.
I'll definitely try the 'cepa de apio' if I get a chance (I love trying new dishes and 'cepa de apio' is always a favorite!! I use nabo all the time as it is a Japanese/Chinese 'radish' (we call it Daikon Radish in Canada) and I use it in soups, salads and stir fry's quite often. If you'd like a recipe for a great salad made with nabo, chinese lettuce (savoy cabbage), green onion with a miso/mustard/rice wine/mirin/sesame oil dressing let me know! Everyone who's had it loves it!!

BTW- couldn't find the link to the photo gallery but loved the pic's on the blog entry!!

Last edited:

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
After much hesitation I decided to write in this thread hopefully to be corrected in my impressions of Constanza. Last Jan. while staying in Jarabacoa I made the trip over the hills to Constanza. I too welcome the cooler temperatures and the beauty of the mountains. While the drive was rough It was beautiful and I really enjoyed it. I admit that one afternoon is not enough time but I failed to experience the charm of Constanza. After all I read I was disappointed and actually preferred Jarabacoa even though I would normally be attracted to a smaller town. I was wondering if anyone has information on whether the following is true-- that the farmers spray or put some type of poison on the plants in Constanza to keep the dogs away? I imagine there are some beautiful areas in the mountains around Constanza and I really think my limited experience should not deter anyone from visiting this area but I really would appreciate some feedback. I am thinking of spending some extended winter time in this area and so far Jarabacoa is my choice.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Augas Blancas and Ocoa to Constanza

I just drove from Ocoa to Constanza for the second time in a month. I think it is one of the nicest drives in the Dominican Republic. I have posted some photos in the media section if you care to see.

Aguas Blancas is about 10 km south from where you turn in Constanza to go to Ocoa. You will come to a fork in the road and there is a sign there point the way to the left. From there it?s about 2 km. The road is rough and there is very limited parking. The falls and pool is a short, obvious walk. There is a small open shelter and steel stairs make access easy but do not interfere from the experience. It was overcast when I was there and I guess it is popular with locals on hot days. The water is cold but tolerable if you have swam New England lakes.

The road from Ocoa to Constanza is beautiful. It?s unpaved along the 60ish mile stretch and rough in some places. Trucks and SUV's should have no trouble but cars might have a few tough spots.

There are no services along the way. In fact, once you get past the farms within 5 miles of each town you won't find anyone living there. Be prepared, make sure you fill up before you take off and would be wise to have some water and food if for not other reason, peace of mind. During the 3+ hours of driving I saw 2 other vehicles along the way.

There is pyramid-shaped monument about half way. Would like to know what it signifies. There were no markings that I could see. It was very close to a simple, but impressive cemetery marking where a man who attempted to assassinate Trujillo was executed and buried.

BAMullins

Oct 28, 2004
www.dominicancrossroads.com
I did the trip from the Constanza side (starting in Jarabacoa) about a month ago, and I second everything you said. I was on my trusty Honda 125 trail bike, so the rotten road was actually enjoyable.

I followed the sign to Agua Blancas, thinking the road would take me over the mountain... most maps are useless ;-(.. I was blown away to see the falls appear out of nowhere. Stunning. I was completely lost, however. Imagine my relief to see a Subaru parked near the falls... it was like something out of a TV commercial. The owners were GPS equipped geologists who quickly got me back on track.

I'll be repeating this trip by bike around the end of October, ending up down in Baoruco before returning to Sosua/Cabarete. PM if you'd like to come along.

Brian