Coffee question from the Frontier !

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Interested if anyone outside the Frontier has had an opportunity to sample the new Cafe Melo, 100% Organic, Shade grown coffee out of the Barahrucos? We have 1lb bags on the shelves here and was wondering if was available elsewhere.

I know it was served at the # 1 Caribbean Restaurant in Florida at a private special tasting and well received.

kFrancisco de Cabral

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Sounds good, I would love to try some! I have been to the Melo store there in Barahona --but is this something new, then? Like it wasnt 100 percent organic before or something? In fact, I dont remember ever seeing the coffee from there on the shelves here in the capital, but I would love to see that.

Guess I am going to have to plan a trip to Barahona.

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Little more info on Cafe Melo.

This coffee is " hot off the presses " so to speak. It is the result of over two years of planning by the Miguel and Roberto Melo to produce a coffee in the " Blue Mountain " class.

The Melo's and the growers of the Barahrucos ( my family included ) have for years been getting preminum prices ( + $0.75 ) above NY #'s for their GREEN beans from Japan and parts of Europe. After I had contacts at Starbucks test and sample the coffee at their testing facility in Switzerland and a highly favorable review was received from them, well things sort of changed.

No coffee for Starbucks, but it gave the necessary push to get folks to thinking about doing more than just selling beans. The Melo brothers did and followed through right down to the Swiss bagging machinery. Which by the way needs to make a tighter bag.

Test marketing ( small sample lots of 100 - 200 # ) have been getting up to $10 / lb. in NW Florida. We have it on the shelves here in Barahona at 68RD/ lb, one ( 1 ) peso below Cafe Santo Domingo. Only available in 1lb bags for now.

I would not be surprised that less and less of the GREEN beans get sold as the " Finished " product gains strength. But I would not look for it to go head to head with Cafe SD here at home. Being on the Frontier does have its advantages and we will go for the SELECT COFFEE segment.

Maybe I need to make up DR1 care packages for Caribe Tours distribution to those who can not find their way here.

Thanks for you reply.

kFrancisco de Cabral

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can certainly ship me a few bags.
Anything to nip a bit at Caf? Santo Domingo's heels...

I hope the melo boys know that they are playing with some sort of nasty people...they have been know to do mean things to stron competitors.

I'll PM you with shipping details for the Santiago bunch.

HB :D:D

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
HB,

The boys can take care of themselves and besides the Barahrucos still supplys the biggest part of the " Blend " that makes up Cafe SD and the MAJORITY of the blend that is their gorment brand.

Would hate for a supply problem to happen, nasty they may be, but they REQUIRE coffee from the Barahruco's and that is Melo country. More than once Miguel has mentioned the reason his family headquartered their operation in Barahona was to gain the advantage over time of being " the ONLY " coffee brokers living and working at the SOURCE.

I have never seen a CSD buyer give an " old man " whose beans were a " little wet " a premimum price for his one hard picked bag.

kF

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
kfrancis, this is all very interesting and very good news. I am really pleased to see that the Melo people are pushing this. But now I am VERY anxious to find some of this stuff. Does anyone know if it is bound for the capital? Maybe one of the upscale supermarkets like La Cadena?

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Don't know, but will ask !

Will stop by and see Miguel Melo tomorrow and see what is up. Supply might be limited at this time as we gear up the production works.

More info to follow for those interested.

kF

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Excellent. I am serious. Please keep me/us posted. There is definite support out here for such ventures and the Melo people should know about it. Thumbs up for all the people in Barahona!

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Cafe Melo--100% Organic Rollout !!

Had a quick discussion with Miguel Melo with regards to the distriibution of our new Cafe Melo within the Republica Dominicana.

As LCI has been working exclusively with the Melo's on the positioning and marketing the Brand outside the RD I was not up todate with internal plans.

Right now we have distribution as far East as Azua and in the valley towns towards Largo Enriquillo. Discussions are underway for further distribution in Santo Domingo, Santiago and others.

Needless to say, if you are interested in having our Fine Gourmet 100% Organic Shade Grown Coffee at your local supermarket, ASK THEM TO ORDER YOU SOME.

Miguel Melo
Americo Melo, CXA.
Anacaona 14
Barahona

ph: 809-524-2440
fax: 809-524-2587

I hope you all find this excellent coffee to you liking if and when you get to try some. The Melo brothers have worked hard and long in developing sufficient quantitys of HIGH quality orgainic coffee to bring the Cafe Melo Brand to the market.

The unique micro climate mountain valleys where the organic project was nurtured within the Baorucos ( how's that HB ) for many years have produced a coffee of distinct character. Something my family and other growers of the Organic coffee found in Cafe Melo are proud of and hope others will be too.

kFrancisco de Cabral con cafe de Polo.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I travel to Barahona every so often so I'll try and pick some up on my next visit. I'll also ask the Mercado Ecologico here in Santo Domingo if they stock it, or have plans to.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Mercado Ecologico? What and where is that? Sounds interesting. I am really psyched about this coffee! I visited the Melo outlet there in Barahona and was so happy. Cant wait to hit the Southwest again.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a small place here in Mirador Sur, that takes your organic veg and fruit order by e-mail or phone on Wednesdays, and delivers on Fridays, or you can go and pick up the order yourself. They sell a range of other organic products.
fama@verizon.net.do
809 482 7463
(I'll forward you a sample of their weekly e-mail too).

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Cafe Melo in Barahona !

For those visiting Barahona and interested in where to buy the new 100% Organic, Shade Grown Cafe Melo here are some locations.

All are within a city block of each other.

Americo Melo, the Melo Brothers coffee operation is in Downtown Barahona at 14 Anacaona and is best visited early in the day.

Our two supermarkets are right down the street for the Americo Coffee offices on the corners of Padre Bellini and Anacaona. Padre Bellini is one of the streets bordering Barahona's Central Park with 30 de Mayo being another.

Price here is 68RD for a 1 lb bag. 1/2 lb. bags to be available in the future.

Cafe Santo Domingo sells for 69RD / lb. here in Barahona.

kFrancisco de Cabral

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
What about Rio Limpio ?

While traveling near the north frontier in Feb we were offered Certified Organic coffee (and purchased from the growers), It is awesome and I am wondering if any of the coffee you guys are discussing is for sale in any retail environment? (the roads were a bit too rough too justify a shopping trip) There were two types of packages one vacuum packed bricks and also another foil bag both 1/2 pound weight. There is web info on one of the packages http://www.grancafe.org.do/
Just curious
Gerry

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
The specialty coffees being put out by the GRAN group are "excellent" coffees with limited production and therefore hard to come by. Best bet is in Paraiso. There is none on the shelves in Barahona.

kF

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's on sale at the Mercado Ecologico, on Calle Leonor Feltz in Mirador Sur, Santo Domingo. I saw it on the shelves there yesterday.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know of another EXCALLENT, small-batch, 100% Organic coffee in the DR: Monte Alto Organico, produced in Jarabacoa. Strong and rich.