Best way to get to Sosua from another airport

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
What would be the best way to get to Sosua from either Santo Domingo, Punta Cana or Santiago airports? I may need to fly into one of these instead of Puerto Plata and was looking for the easiest/cheapest way. I have seen that Caribe Tours goes from Santo Domingo - Santiago - Sosua. Do the buses pick up at the airports? And what is the cost from either city?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, buses don't go to the airport. You take a taxi from airport to bus terminal. Bus fare from SD to Sosua is RD$240 and from Santiago about RD$100.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Closest airport to Sosua other than POP is Santiago. By the time you take taxi from Santiago airport to bus terminal, then take bus from Santiago to Sosua and then get to your final destination in Sosua, you probably are better off taking a taxi direct from Santiago for about US$60.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago (STI) is the closest.
Email Roc?o Valerio at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com to make a reservation for airport pickup and door to door service. Punctual, English speaking, and highly rated service.
It is a good alternative to the Taxi-wait-bus-taxi method of getting there. Trip is about 1 1/2 hours from the airport. If you are coming on one of the late afternoon or night flights, it is by far the best way, unless you are just too beat and want to overnight at a nice place in Santiago before heading on to Sosua.

HB :D:D

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
HOWMAR said:
Closest airport to Sosua other than POP is Santiago. By the time you take taxi from Santiago airport to bus terminal, then take bus from Santiago to Sosua and then get to your final destination in Sosua, you probably are better off taking a taxi direct from Santiago for about US$60.

That's quite true ! From the airport to bus terminal is 500 pesos, then 140 pesos ( I think this is the amount) to Sosua, then it's a 300 peso taxi ride from Caribe tours terminal to Sosua (unless you take a motoconcho, which is cheaper). That's about 30 dollars !

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
Thank you so much everyone! I am sort of nervous, as this will be my first trip to the DR without a volunteer group. Before, they have always arranged all transportation. So now I have to figure it out on my own. So your advice and contact info has really helped!
Vanessa

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ElvisNYC said:
That's quite true ! From the airport to bus terminal is 500 pesos, then 140 pesos ( I think this is the amount) to Sosua, then it's a 300 peso taxi ride from Caribe tours terminal to Sosua (unless you take a motoconcho, which is cheaper). That's about 30 dollars !

For sure the taxi from Caribe Tours terminal to a hotel in Sosua is RD$150. Don't ask the driver how much, just give him RD$150 if the hotel is in Sosua. If it is between Sosua and Cabarete, it will be more.

The bus from Santiago to Sosua is RD$100, according to my wife who went there last week.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Ken said:
For sure the taxi from Caribe Tours terminal to a hotel in Sosua is RD$150. Don't ask the driver how much, just give him RD$150 if the hotel is in Sosua. If it is between Sosua and Cabarete, it will be more.

The bus from Santiago to Sosua is RD$100, according to my wife who went there last week.

Come to think about it, it was 150 pesos ! Not 300 pesos.. And it could've been 100 pesos for the bus, I can't remember ..

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
Well, so it still seems cheaper for two of us to take Caribe tours and taxis to and from the bus terminal.
(STI to bus station=RD$500
Bus fare x 2=RD$200
Taxi to Sosua=RD$150-we are staying in El Batey at Condos Dominicanos
Total=RD$850???)
Still less than US$30, half as much as HOWMAR says a taxi should cost (although I definitely understand the benefits of paying for the convenience).

I will contact Roc?o Valerio though (Thanks Hillbilly!) to see what he has to say. It may end up that the bus schedules (which I still need to look up) don't really coincide with our flight times.

If I do decide to take a taxi, how exactly do I go about "hailing" one? I am thinking they aren't bright yellow with taxi signs on the top. :) And I have never even taken a taxi in the States, so I am even more lost about taking one in the Dominican. Are they readily available at the airport and bus stations?

Thanks again for all your wonderful information, and for excusing my total ineptitude with most all things Dominican. Haha.
Vanessa :)

majority1

Jan 9, 2005
Travel Between Santo Domingo & Puerto Plata

I would like to know what is the best way to go from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata. Is it possible to fly between the two cities and if not whaqt do you recommend? I am flying out of JFK to Santo Domingo and plan to spend a few days in S. Domingo, a few days in Puerto Plata before returning to the US. Do you think it's better to reverse and fly into Puerta Plata?

Also do you know the cost associated with such travel?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The easiset, fastest and cheapest way is to take a Caribe Tours bus between Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata. Either direction is the same. Depending on where you are coming from, you probably have better flight options into Santo Domingo.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
VanessaLee13 said:
Well, so it still seems cheaper for two of us to take Caribe tours and taxis to and from the bus terminal.
(STI to bus station=RD$500
Bus fare x 2=RD$200
Taxi to Sosua=RD$150-we are staying in El Batey at Condos Dominicanos
Total=RD$850???)
Still less than US$30, half as much as HOWMAR says a taxi should cost (although I definitely understand the benefits of paying for the convenience).
And what is the extra 3-4 hours of travel time worth to you?

VanessaLee13

Mar 24, 2006
I don't mind the extra 3-4+ hours. :) As long as they get us there eventually.

Right now, if we can save $30 bucks here or there, that leaves $30 for something else. Putting up with extra travel time, or with a less than ideal situation is easier than coming up with extra money (although it would be nice if the opposite were true!).

But I may not even have to worry about this. Hopefully I can find a good deal flying into Puerto Plata instead of having to go with the buddy pass option into Santiago.

Thanks everyone.