Anyone in the puerto plata area?

tarachrisjoebonita

Mar 29, 2006
Hi~Coming out to the dr on 10th april with the kids~Just wandered what the weather is like at the moment? Forecasts on the net look wet! Haven't been before and can't find anything on the weather to see what is heading your way. Also what are the beaches like Playa dorada and Sosua? we don't know where we are staying yet but it will be either of these and wanted to know if it is safe for the kids to swim in the sea? Many thanks:;)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
A couple of points. Asking what the weather is now has little significance on what you can expect in 12 days from now. Probably more informative to look at the current weather over parts of Africa, as this may be affecting us when you are here.
As far as your kids swimming, the ocean at both Playa Dorada and Playa Sosua is fairly calm most of the time, but water safety is as safe as you make it. People can drown in a bathtub.

tarachrisjoebonita

Mar 29, 2006
Many thanks~the kids can swim so should be ok but have heard scary stories about the undercurrents, i'm sure it will be fine~ i will look at what is going on over africa thank you for that~ i'll try and come on nearer the time of our holiday to see what the weather is doing. Every forecast at the moment is rain but i'm sure after reading this site it is not constant. We are coming for 14 nights so i hope we have some good days! It has got to be better than chilly england, the rain here hasn't stopped for 3 days! and we are due a frost tonight~Many thanks for your reply

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Please have a look at some of the other threads in the weather forum. It is seldom that we have continuous rain for days and days in the DR. Usually it is some showers, interspersed with sunshine. So, if you see the little rain icon on the formal forecasts, it may mean simply a short tropical shower. We've had a rainy spell just the last few days and if the weather patterns hold, we will get more rainy spells. But a few rainy spells during your holiday should not spoil the whole period.

Howmar, this time of year we are more affected by weather from the North, than weather from Africa. During hurricane season, our weather systems 'incubate' from over the ocean, but at this time of year, we feel the affects of north-easterly weather more than anything else.