Accomodations Santiago

Mar 27, 2006
Santiago accommodations

Hi there,
I need to stay in Santiago for just one night before I head over to Las Terrenas. Can someone recommend a moderate and decent place near the airport to stay?

Sep 19, 2005
you can do a search of SANTIAGO hotels, and find the few that have been listed before. Santiago is about 10-15 minutes from the airport( at least to get INTO the city as opposed to crossing the city line.) I have been through LiCey a ton of times and I cant remember any hotels......you could make life exciting and turn left out of the airport, come to a stop sign(hopefully its still there) turn left again pass by the end of the airport runway and start seeing houses on both sides of the road. just go door to door asking to spend one night...I bet youd only have to ask 15 maybe 20 places before you found someone to let you in for 200 pesos or so!!! ha ha ha

that would make for good trip reporting !!!!!

PM hilbilly and ask if he has a one night stay offered in one of his units.

pobably get breakfast as well, and good advice on how to get to Las Terrenas!!! and a whole bunch more good advice!!!!

you have no idea NOW where your gonna stay, so ask HIM!!!!!

it's the easy advice to give as far as this forum goes I would imagine

good luck

bob

For 1 night I would suggest Camp David Ranch (huge rooms with balconys)because they have a restaraunt and incredible views of the city below, It is a little out of the way but the views are great. Other options are hotel Plantino(Nice but small rooms) which is right as you enter the city about 15 mins from airport exit (in traffic) 10 mins with no traffic.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you are in town for under a day, stay in a Cabana.
5 minutes from the airport and safe, clean, and cheap.
These are normally rented in blocks of 4 hours for "other sorts of activities", but are great to crash and shower for a few hours!

There are 5 of them just outside of the airport.

Platino is also a great inexpensive option as well, as suggested by B.P.

Sep 19, 2005
badpiece33 said:
For 1 night I would suggest Camp David Ranch (huge rooms with balconys)because they have a restaraunt and incredible views of the city below, It is a little out of the way but the views are great. Other options are hotel Plantino(Nice but small rooms) which is right as you enter the city about 15 mins from airport exit (in traffic) 10 mins with no traffic.

badpiece, I would agree that thats a nice place to at least stay once....but from another thread I think the OP may be renting a car( since he wants directions to La Terrenas from santiago!

now who will be so cruel as to try and give the op directions to camp david!

I went during the day to make sure of the directions and found road work pushed me to alternate routes!!!! if he was taking a cab, then I think its a whole other story!

bob

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
you can do a search of SANTIAGO hotels, and find the few that have been listed before. Santiago is about 10-15 minutes from the airport( at least to get INTO the city as opposed to crossing the city line.) I have been through LiCey a ton of times and I cant remember any hotels......you could make life exciting and turn left out of the airport, come to a stop sign(hopefully its still there) turn left again pass by the end of the airport runway and start seeing houses on both sides of the road. just go door to door asking to spend one night...I bet youd only have to ask 15 maybe 20 places before you found someone to let you in for 200 pesos or so!!! ha ha ha

that would make for good trip reporting !!!!!

PM hilbilly and ask if he has a one night stay offered in one of his units.

pobably get breakfast as well, and good advice on how to get to Las Terrenas!!! and a whole bunch more good advice!!!!

you have no idea NOW where your gonna stay, so ask HIM!!!!!

it's the easy advice to give as far as this forum goes I would imagine

good luck

bob

Bob,

Isn't that the only way to go?

You forgot to mention the high quality of that road.

JD

Sep 19, 2005
Jersey Devil said:
Bob,

Isn't that the only way to go?
JD

I dont know which statement this reply is to!! ha ha ha

if Hillbilly is the guy to see

or if going left out of the airport, then left again..is a way to get to santiago,

or if asking strangers that live near the airport is the way to find interesting room and board for a night

bob

Sep 19, 2005
Jersey Devil said:
Going left out of the airport.

ok I am going ahead and assuming your serious.....which is a stretch on this site sometimes....you can go left out of the airport hit the stop and turn left again, go all the way to the stop light( rte 14) and turn left again and now you are in LiCey and heading towards Santiago. This road will eventually be called calle duarte when it is in santiago.

Or you can just go straight out of the airport down the big wide divided highway , past all the car rental places until you come to another big divided highway. Turn right there( route 1)( also known as autopista) and head towards santiago.

the airport is in between route 1 and route 14 so peeling back on either side takes you into santiago.!!!!!!! most people who will go to santiago from the airport will take thr route 1 path!...it is a good road the whole way and it should be the fastest by at least 10 minutes i would think.........

besides the road that goes left out of the airport has been repaired ..of course it is already showing signs of returning potholes.....it was REAL bad before thanksgiving

bob

Brian

Jan 5, 2002
stay at hotel platino.next to university and cheap and clean rooms with ac.tv and god retaurant.bars next door.809 742 7576

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
amigomexicano said:
I emailed them and they didn't respond so that made me wary.

It takes them a few days to email back.. I suggest Hotel Platino as well ! Even though I didn't have a confirmed reservation, I went to the hotel directly and got a suite ejecutiva for 1,900 pesos. It's a pretty decent hotel and will probably stay here again.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Also, Hillbilly has a modest B&B, so if it's available, he could accommodate as well. Haven't stayed there myself, but my sister and her friend stayed in Jan/Feb 2006.
Have a nice trip.
mkohn

tropical

Nov 20, 2004
www.facebook.com
B&b

mkohn said:
Also, Hillbilly has a modest B&B, so if it's available, he could accommodate as well. Haven't stayed there myself, but my sister and her friend stayed in Jan/Feb 2006.
Have a nice trip.
mkohn

I agree, comfortable rooms, good breakfast & a wonderful host...What more can you ask for.....

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
gotta chime in here

tropical said:
I agree, comfortable rooms, good breakfast & a wonderful host...What more can you ask for.....

I, too, have 2nd hand experience with HB's B&B set-up. He hosted my 21 year-old son and his girlfriend as part of their first-time-ever-in-the-DR spring break trip.

They RAVED about the hospitality, warmth and helpfulness of their Santiago hosts.

Since I assisted with the arrangements, I can personally attest that the pre-arrival communication and directions were both excellent.