Starting a drop-in shelter in DR

Ivan

Mar 30, 2006
Hi, I am new to this thing- I have read some of the previous notes on this topic, but none have answered my question. I want to know If I plan to open a drop in shelter for street kids in DR, do I have to buy the land, out of pocket, that the place will be built on or can I ask the government for the land or some money to buy the land.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Basically, you need to work with a local orgaiization. You'll have to get to know all of the organizations that work with kids. This will take quite a few weeks of your time. THEN you can see about asking for something.

And land in any of the major cities with street children is extremely dear and difficult to come by. Do your homework first. The need is certainly there.

HB :D:D

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I would like to understand the background and motives of anyone who wants to set up a shelter for street kids anywhere not just the DR.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Isn't the idea behind "drop ins" for you to have someplace that you can go if you are alone?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I suspect the OP knows very little about "street children" in the DR. They are not "homeless" in the traditional sense of the term. DR street children are not seeking a "home" and will not stay in a shelter, unless under compulsion. Like Hillbilly says: "do your homework first..."

-

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Not sure if it is still in existence but I volunteered for an organization Santiago called Accion Callejera a few years back (ugh 10 already). It was the same as what you are looking at doing, there was also the offer of classes, meals and a store they could buy things like clothing, at 1 or 2 pesos each.

There definently is the need, I still run into some of the kids today especially at the Aguilas games - they are now in the late teens, and tell me what they are up to.

Ivan

Mar 30, 2006
Thank you, so much. Can you tell me more about the program, it sounds close to what I am interested in doing or work with. Do you know if they have a website. Regardless if the shelter idea works out, a large part of my project is offering programs/ workshops which empowers and provide skills these " street kids" can use to positively progess in society.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
It was in an large old house on Calle del Sol. The center was open in the morning through the afternoon. Children could come and go as they pleased or were able to. There was a library, a basketball court and lots of general space to use for the kids. It was mostly boys with a few girls, the youngest child I worked with was 3 possibly 4 who worked with his dad in the afternoons with a fruit/vegetable cart.

I believe some of the funding came from the government the other through private donations.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I would like to give the OP the benefit of doubt on this one.
When I visit the DR, I too am disturbered by the way some of these kids and indeed some of the adults live - and lets face it - ive only just started venturing off of the beaten tourist path and have a very basic idea of what life must be like out there for the pourest people of the country.
If I had the time & money I would too like to help in some way.
I am awear that Escott is doing something for the dominican kids in the way of an auction www.dominicankids.com - i have bid on there as a way to give SOMETHING and given an offer of an item of auction - that is pretty much all I can do at a basic level - but once again - if I had the time and money I would want to do more.

I hope that doesnt make me a "pervert"!

Dan - who still has faith in people being good at heart!

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
After reading my post once hitting send I am reminded of a person on here that we are no longer aloud to talk about - whom wrote well, capativated many by her life and outlook and turned out to be a criminal with poor family morals.

I guess I could be wrong??

Ivan

Mar 30, 2006
I Googlded Don Borsco, and counld not find a website or contact info, just short articles on the program. The same goes for Los Ninos.

What does OP and CEA mean

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
OP is Original Poster: in this case you are the OP. The CEA is the Consejo Estatal de Az?car, butthey wont be able to help you, so forget about them.
The main site for Don Bosco is here:
http://www.sdb.org/Index.asp?Lingua=2&MyURL=/centro.ASP

But that site doesnt have anything about the Dominican branch of operations, probably becuase the area is so small. The org in DR is called Muchachos con Don Bosco, and here is the site:

www.muchachosdonbosco.org.do/

which seems to be experiencing server problems currently, but it should be all right eventually. Anyway, as long as you use the proper name, Muchachos con Don Bosco, when you google, you should be able to find all the info you need.

Profamilia, which is parented by International Planned Parenthood, is here in Gazcue, and they are running youth programs too. Plan International has a program in the Southwest (san Juan de la Maguana) too.

btw, make sure your Spanish is in excellent shape.

Tamosh75

Apr 16, 2006
Ivan - drop in shelter

Hi Ivan,

How are things going with your plans? I am moving to Santo Domingo very soon and have had visions for the same sort of thing. Would love to see how things are going or if you have made progress with your plans.

T

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
In the Maria Auxiliadora neighborhood of SD...

There is an organization called "Las Canillitas" (I think), dedicated to working with the shoe-shine boys and street kids. I volunteered their last summer and it was amazing. The kids have tough lives but big hearts.

Will they try to scam you? Of course! Wouldnt you if you were hungry? Wouldnt you, if you had no particular reason to trust adults in the first place?

So be wary, but loving. And best of luck to ya. God be with ya.

Grant

Tamosh75

Apr 16, 2006
Las Canillitas

Thanks for mention about Las Canillitas. Do you have any contact information?

T

Ivan

Mar 30, 2006
Some insight Please

Hello,

Can someone PM me information on these ?street kids". Information in general is helpful, of course Will do my online research, but I hope DR residence can explain to me their observation of these kids or their issue.

I would like to know, if possible, the root cause of these kids living or working on the streets. For example, is it direct caused by DR?s need of intensive economical development? This is not as obvious as some like to think.

Or is it lack of education, which prevents their families from earning enough to support them?
Is it because they jus t simply choose to. I am sure this is not the answer.

Aside from housing and maybe medical, are their other services available to them?

What is the attitude of society to this issue?
Is this not as big of a deal as other social issue, if so as what is of more importance, or requires more attention.

Do the same homeless children become homeless adults when they become older, or are there any ?rescue? programs?

I am not as educated as I thought about the Street kids of DR.

Please excuse me if these questions or I seem unintelligent or they are too long and annoying.

Thank you.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Can't answer your questions right now, but I did remember the other organisation apart from Don Bosco that is working with DR street kids - Ni?os del camino - they have a website with quite a lot of information.

www.ncamino.org