President Fernandez "couldn't" visit Puerto Plata ? ?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Several news media carried stories that the DR President intended to visit Puerto Plata [POP] on 30 & 31 March 2006, but could not because of bad weather & bad roads. My curiousity has been stimulated; to wit:

* How many planes successfully took off or landed form the POP during this 2 day period? From & to the Santiago Airport? During the same 2 days. 20 - 30 - 40 - 60? HHow many foights were cancelled? Probably ZERO.

* How many vehicles traveled from Santiago to POP, & vice versa, during this 2 day period? Approximately? How many trucks & buses [ie Metro or Caribe Tours] passed? 5,000? 10,000? 20,000?

* There are 100,000 - 125,00 people in POP. We're in the 21st century. When the President of a small country can't travel 4 hours by caravan to visit a large city & tourist center, isn't something wrong? What?

* Did whoever issed this explanation for Fernandez's non-attendance do so with a straght face? She deserves credit, great credit. Food for thought?

May 12, 2005
All good points. El Presidente doesn't have a helicopter at his disposal?? Well may be this will spur some government action to work on the roads in the area. The tourist hwy over the mountain and Route 5 along the north coast should be at the top of that list.

G

gary short

Frank the Tank said:
All good points. El Presidente doesn't have a helicopter at his disposal?? Well may be this will spur some government action to work on the roads in the area. The tourist hwy over the mountain and Route 5 along the north coast should be at the top of that list.
Sorry I don't get it. What's wrong with route five?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nothing is/was wrong.
The day was sunny and bright. He just did not want to go, or his agenda got full with more important things to do.

They had no other excuse..typical PLD superiority complex at work...

Shoot (not what I was going to say), tell the people he got a case of an upset stomach after lunch as So and So's house....anything logical...

HB :p:p:p

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
POP pop.

agree with all but the statistic: POP has a pop. of 225,000 I think