Hotel Cubano

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
Has anyone heard of a Hotel/Motel called Hotel Cubano in Sousa. I heard that it is not to expensive to stay there. Would anyone know the rates for the Easter weekend from April 13-16, and if anyone had a phone number for me call them.

Also if anyone knows any budget hotels for 3 nights. I really don't need to much since i will only be in the room to sleep and to change. Any suggestions would help

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yeah, I heard of it.
It's not the real name, but it is refered to, by that name by all the putas who live there.
It has the worst reputation in the whole of Sosua.

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
Ok maybe there are working ladies, but which hotel down there that dosen't have them. I know it's a way of life down there. Honestly if it's cheap and decent room. Like I said I hardly won't be there just some where to shower up and change

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I was just trying to be gentle, so that DR1 doesn't get sued for my comments.
Did you catch the part about it being the worst hotel in Sosua?

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
I have seen it once, it looks like it might have been an average hotel manymany tears ago. Now, many girls stay there when they "visit" Sosua. Also the Chilean peacekeepers on leave from Haiti stay there too.

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
All I wanna know how are the rates not who goes there. Yeah I did read the part about the worst hotel. Like I said I know it's nothing wow, just simple.

G

gary short

Get a Lonely Planet guide book for the D.R. It's never failed me. Let's see .....here we are, Sosua.......budget..........well what do you know.....Rockies......El Colibri, Hotel Voramar, Hotel Casa Valeria, Hotel Garden Keti and Pension Anneliese. Disregard Pension Anneliese, there's big mean looking dogs running around crapping and barking til all hours and that freakin rooster across the street I swear to god it's got an alarm clock strapped to it's ass, 4am every morning. Hasn't anyone killed an eaten that thing yet?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Fun in the sun...

DoraRocks316 said:
All I wanna know how are the rates not who goes there. Yeah I did read the part about the worst hotel. Like I said I know it's nothing wow, just simple.
OK,
Well it's wonderfully cheap, as long as you don't take into account anything that may disappear from your room while you are out.
The rates vary depending on how much he thinks he can extract from you, but one would think you could easily get it for 15 bucks or less.
You would never have to go out, as they'll pile in as many as 6 girls per room next door to you.
If you do get robbed while you are there, it would be best to not get into an argument with the owner, as he is known to get physically violent with unhappy patrons.
It's nicely centrally located and, of course, guest friendly.
They have a pool, although I'm not sure if they have any water in it right now.
There may not always be electircity or running water, but you need only bring candles or a flashlight and a couple of gallons of water.
You need not bother to lock your door when you leave, as everybody there has a key, so it's one less thing to worry about.
If you get tired of losing all your personal possessions, you could have some fun and leave some muffins in your room, that have been spiked with hot Caribbean peppers and get some free entertainment out of the deal.
Happy Easter...

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
When I stopped by there a year ago, the pool had water, but it was a very strange green colour. The girl staying there was a long term rental and she paid 250 pesos a night. Not sure what the rates would be now.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DoraRocks316 said:
Rocky.. I'm just wondering has all this happened to you when you were there.
15 years in Sosua has taught me who the good guys and who the bad guys are.
As it happens, I do have some direct experience with victims of this "gentleman", and have even had to put some people up in my house, as they got evicted out of their own condos, by him.
You see, it's not actually a hotel, but rather a condominium complex and the owners made the unfortunate mistake of hiring him as the administrator, and now they no longer own their condos.
I could go on for hours telling you stories of him stabbing people, etc, however I feel that I have issued sufficient warning. I did also immediately send you an email to forewarn you and keep this off the mainboard.
Nobody has to follow any of my advice, and as you may not know me, you may be wondering if my advice is even valid, as I am a hotel owner and it could appear that I have a hidden agenda, so I do understand your position and feel content that I have done my duty in responding in an informative fashion.
I also understand the need for low budget accommodations and can fully appreciate anyone trying to get the most travel for his buck.
As in my email to you, my offer still stands.
Tell us what you require and at what price, and we'll see what we can find for you.
Regards, Marco.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Where exactly is it located?

Rocky said:
Well it's wonderfully cheap, as long as you don't take into account anything that may disappear from your room while you are out.
The rates vary depending on how much he thinks he can extract from you, but one would think you could easily get it for 15 bucks or less.
You would never have to go out, as they'll pile in as many as 6 girls per room next door to you.If you do get robbed while you are there, it would be best to not get into an argument with the owner, as he is known to get physically violent with unhappy patrons.
It's nicely centrally located and, of course, guest friendly.
They have a pool, although I'm not sure if they have any water in it right now.
There may not always be electircity or running water, but you need only bring candles or a flashlight and a couple of gallons of water.
You need not bother to lock your door when you leave, as everybody there has a key, so it's one less thing to worry about.
Sounds like the perfect spot for me. :classic:

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
Thanks Rocky

Thanks Rocky... I'll let you know and hopefully you can help me out.. Yeah I am on a budget.. Being that you know your stuff.. Where do you think I can find some decent meals...

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
Payment in Canadian dollars

Ok here's another question do any budget Hotel/Motels down there take Canadian money as payment for room. Or do you have to pay in American or Dominican pesos. Just wondering...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I haven't posted in a while since so many of the posts are so boringly the same that there is not much point to bother. However DoraRocks , you take the cake in the density department, truly.

Yours is is probably the best thread in a while, in the "I am going to do this anyway because I know better so I will post 100 times until I get the answer I want" category (* sub-category too cheap to travel safely or appropriately) .

Rocky knows Sosua. Rocky is trying to offer you a decent deal. In a safe , sensible location. So what if it is his. If I were him by now I'd tell you to stick your needs up your heinie.

Either take advice from experts or quit asking. Simple choice. And no , hoteliers rarely if ever want Canada dollars in a country that has its own currency or bases things on the US dollar. I am sure they will grudgingly take them at a rate even worse than the cambios which already don't offer a reasonable rate for Canada dollars either. Since it actually is not Canada. Note by no strange coincidence we don't take DR pesos for anything, not even a pack of gum - but our airport cambios will buy your pesos for about 1/2 of their value.

Of course if you'd do some reading or searching you'd know that Canada dollars are a bad choice. But then you'd know Rocky is a guy good for his word and you'd have stopped asking about this sh*thole hotel as well.

Stay there please, write back once you get the Consulate to get you a new passport and emergency funds to get home.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DoraRocks316 said:
Thanks Rocky... I'll let you know and hopefully you can help me out.. Yeah I am on a budget.. Being that you know your stuff.. Where do you think I can find some decent meals...
Sosua is a lot cheaper for meals than almost any other tourist town in the country, so you should be able to keep to a tight budget.
There are many inexpensive roadside chicken & sandwich joints, as long as you are not prone to parasites. (Non drinkers seem to be more prone).
La Gaviota near the Banco Popular has decent Dominican food at very affordable prices.
Bailey's almost directly accross the street, but a bit farther down, had great food at mid prices.
Although it's long reading and not necessarily about budget eats in Sosua, there is a thread about restaurants in Sosua...
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44665&page=14
Ask other gringos you meet where their prefered budget restaurant are and you will easily find what you want for the few days that you will be here.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
CDN vs US Currency

DoraRocks316 said:
Ok here's another question do any budget Hotel/Motels down there take Canadian money as payment for room. Or do you have to pay in American or Dominican pesos. Just wondering...
As US currency is in greater demand in the DR, it is worth changing your CDN money into US funds before coming here, as you will benefit when changing into pesos.
Even though it will cost you to change the CDN to US, you will probaly gain 3 or 4% doing it this way.

Last edited: