Dominicans in Silver Spring Maryland

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
I know that Silver Spring Maryland is so diverse especially Montgomery County. I was wondering how big is the Dominican population in Silver Spring?

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
There is a fairly sizeable population in SS. I would say it's about about 1000-1500 or so. I put together a briefing on this, but that was done on a county by county basis.

DCKenny said:
I know that Silver Spring Maryland is so diverse especially Montgomery County. I was wondering how big is the Dominican population in Silver Spring?

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
The population there is bigger than I thought! I believe in DC it's the same size. Well probably by 2010 it will be a hugh population!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
The metro DC area hosts about 15,000 Dominicans total as of the 2005 census. The wealthier ones tend to live in VA the poorer ones in MD.
Once I review the briefing I will be able to provide you with more accurate information. Up until know these are just my beck of the envelope estimates.

Huge is also very relative. It depends what is big to you. Population-wise Salvadoreans and Hondurans rule the DC metro area.

DCKenny said:
The population there is bigger than I thought! I believe in DC it's the same size. Well probably by 2010 it will be a hugh population!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Well, I was in the Northern VA region last week before moving down here to Miami and I noticed lots of cars with DR flags on them, specially in Dale City, right by Woodbridge. Also, as Hormiga (one of the old forum members) who lives in Dale City pointed out to me when I visited her, the majority of Dominicans live in Maryland but if they can afford to do so, they move to Virginia.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
....meaninlgless fact you learn at school...

deelt said:
Huge is also very relative. It depends what is big to you. Population-wise Salvadoreans and Hondurans rule the DC metro area.

Per a university study (by UCLA I believe) Maryland/Virginia hosts the largest day laborers site in the entire nation..

edited to add: one menssioned here , I believe

Last edited:

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
I wonder why Baltimore city is not a destination for Dominicans and other latinos? I know that Baltimore is becoming a booming city than it used to be. Baltimore is no longer the depressed urban place as it is perceived these days. You where saying that Dominicans move to Virginia from Maryland it must be cheaper to live in Virginia?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Donde esta mi gente?

Trust me, not many Dominicans here in Silver Spring. Lots of Latinos but have not met a none-DR1 since moving here ten years ago.:paranoid:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
No, Dominicans that live in VA are generally better off financially speaking. Have you seen the housing market up there? It's borderline ludicrous, not to mention it's not slowing down either. Gotta have some deep pockets to even consider moving out to Northern VA, just ask Keith R :p

quisbella

Apr 24, 2006
Dominican Groceries in PG county or DC area

Hello, can anyone tell me where i can get my groceries now that i moved to the dc area. I have tried to look online for places that would sell Salami hugueral and stuff like that, but i cant find one. Does anyone know where i can get stuff like that? :surprised

quisbella

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Americana Grocery

Phone:
(301) 434-8922

Adress: 1500 University Blvd E, Hyattsville, MD 20783

direction: from Greembelt you would have to take MD-193 (university Blvd) toward Montgomery county; go pass the University of Maryland (in between the UMD golf course and the underclassmen dorms high rises, the Clarice Smith Perfoming Arts Center; go passed Adelphi road; down the hill; passed Riggs road; make a right, right before the next light after riggs road; park in that parking lot. (Google MAP)

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
bob saunders said:
My wife has a set of cousins living in Fairfax, Virginia which i assume is almost a suburb of Washington DC.
Bob, is that Fairfax the city, or Fairfax County? I live in Fairfax County, but not in the county seat, Fairfax, which is about 15-20 mins from me. All Fairfax County is considered the DC suburbs. ;)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
There is also a bodega on Riggs Rd and MD-410-E (East-West Hwy) called Latin American Grocery. I don't really go there often but they do have stuff I can't find anywhere else like the vanilla cookies for the habichuela con dulce, nice aguacates.

On New Hampshire Rd going south toward DC on your left there's a hardcore caribbean market (near to Aldi's supermarket). You can't miss it.

Julita's restaurant also offers decent dominican food. That is off of Riggs Road way from MD-410 (toward DC)

There is also a Latino grocery store on Univeristy Blvd and Piney Branch Rd.
Parking is available.

All these stores are in the Hyattsville/Takoma Park/Langley Park area. Thats the Latino area. IT will be abundantly clear as soon as you see the people in the streets.

Just take a day to drive around and familiarize yourself. from I-495 get off on exit 28B and keep straight on New Hampshire Ave. To get on Riggs, just go down a few lights and make a left then a right to get on Riggs road (I'm sure aegep's directions are fine as well).

D
quisbella said:
i live in greenbelt, md. anything nearby/ in dc area would be great!would be great....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Keith R said:
Bob, is that Fairfax the city, or Fairfax County? I live in Fairfax County, but not in the county seat, Fairfax, which is about 15-20 mins from me. All Fairfax County is considered the DC suburbs. ;)

Fairfax city, he's a building contractor. He was living in Pikesville but moved to Fairfax this spring.