Suggestions for a good novel for the beach!

D

Donna

Unfortunately, the only time I get to read is on vacation which isn't too often. I'd like to know what " light" fluff, nothing too heavy people are currently enjoying? Maybe a juicy spy novel, juicy love story or true crime novel,something that is an easy read and can be done in a few days?? any suggestions???

D

Donna

Since I probably won't be spending to much time in the yucky water,doesn't anyone have any titles for me yet?

D

Donna

I avoided that movie for obvious reasons(I think it was called PARANOIA!)so I'll pass on the book thank you!

N

Natasha

Hi Donna,

Since I didn't read for "fun" when I was writing my dissertation, right now I am rediscovering Heminway, some of his stuff that I hadn't read before like "Green Hills of Africa".

I also read James Michener's "Caribbean" for the first time last year. Another suggestion is anything by Trinidarian author Derek Walcott.

Sometime ago, I saw the movie (and eventually read the book) "Wide Sargasso Sea", but this is not a "light" novel per se.

Finally, I also recommend "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents" by Dominican author Julia Alvarez. Hope this helps.

Regards, Natasha

D

D.R. Resident

"TALES OF A CARIBBEAN ISLE" by: Heinz Meder..... an excellent read. As the book says..... Tales is a compilation of insider's insight that is sometimes critical, other times humurous, always fun to read. Illustrated with 120 refreshing sketches, it's pure Caribbean....the ideal chaise-lounge reader, reference guide and keepsake for anyone who has an experience with the Island of Hispaniola"

M

Marleen

Any thing by Mary Higgins Clark. I just finished YOU BELONG TO ME. It was a great beach read. I am partical to mysteries my Sue Grafton and Patricia Cornwall Happy reading and happy vacation.

D

Donna

Thank you Marleen, I haven't read Mary Higgins Clark in a while,I'll check that out. I also like mysteries too!

Thanks,

Donna

R

Rum runner

I would suggest Lies my teacher told me by James W. Loewen. Its more of a finger tip type reading. Read a chapter and skip a few. They have a chapter called 1493 the true importance of Columbus. Very intresting reading.

S

Sue

If you want something light, humuorous and written for females, try Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding or Waiting to Exhale and How Stella Got Her Groove Back by Terry McMillan. Also anything by Jackie Collins, Sidney Sheldon or Maeve Binchy make excellent beach novels as they do not tax your brain in the least. I always save these types of novels for the beach.

S

Susanne

My own beach time favourites (when the kids leave me long enough to read, that is!):

High Fidelity - Nick Hornby. Hilarious insight into the life and thoughts of a typical city male in his thirties. Actually, anything Nick Hornby will do. "About a boy" is also very good.

All the Lord Peter Wimseys by Dorothy Sayers. Although written more than 50 years ago now, they don't seem the slightest bit oldfashioned. Keen sense of humour, keen understanding of human nature.

Dune - Frank Herbert. Classic SF. If you don't like Science Fiction or anything like it, don't bother with this one. Otherwise it is complex and exciting, and it is really about humanity and moral conflicts rather than technology. Good SF almost is, I find.

Tigana, A song for Arbonne, The Fionavar Trilogy - Guy Gavriel Kay. Best fantasy writer since Tolkien. A lot of authors can make me excited, caught up in the action or make me smile. Guy Gavriel Kay can do all of that - and make me cry too. A song for Arbonne is the least "fantastic" of them, with very few of the usual fantasy elements - enchantment, fictional beasts, wizards etc. - included. The Fionavar Trilogy is basically a modern Lord of the Rings. Tigana is something in between. All of them are marvellous and very romantic in the original sense of the word.

A hitchikers guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams. Pure nonsense, pure delight, plenty of laughs. Don't read it if the plot matters to you.

Almost all of the novels by John Le Carr?. His spy novels are a very far cry from all the James Bond glamour, quite often with a sadness and melancholy about them. The Russia House is a spy novel as well as a beautiful love story.

Fanny - Erica Jong. Written as if it is the true memoires of an 18th Century young girl and her life as a prostitute, pirate, author, mother etc. Brillant.

And then - if you really want to switch off your brain and basically just relax: Most of the novels by Victoria Holt. It is like Barbara Cartland, only better written and with more compelling characters. If you read one, you will know how all of them end and guess all the improbable twists along the way - but still delightful enough if you don't want to think at all.

Enjoy,

Regards, Susanne

D

Donna

Well, I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions.Everyone has been most helpful. My choice has been made and it's"I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb. The only problem is it's 900 pages! Wish me luck, actually I think I'll start reading now. They say it's a gratifying saga of loss and redemption that you can't put down. That works for me!

Thanks,

Donna

N

Natasha

Donna,

I was looking at this book just the other day at Borders. Wow, it it long, indeed. I have not read anything by Lamb since The Bridges of Madison County. Let me know if it's worth reading - though I am going through my movies phase right now. Just saw American Beauty and was blown away. Definitely the best American movie since Fargo.

Regards, Natasha