Birth certificate

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
Can you bring in a one year old, just with a b-certificate. My cousins' daughter is in the DR and she has been there for the last three months. She is an american. He wants me to do him a favor and bring her back, but the baby is yet to have a passport. Do i need to get her a passport or a
b-certificate will be sufficient? No biggy, to get a passport but being that i will be staying there just for one week, i really don't fill like spending an entire day in the American consul in the DR, it is really a pain.

Any clarifications will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
playagirl said:
Can you bring in a one year old, just with a b-certificate. My cousins' daughter is in the DR and she has been there for the last three months. She is an american. He wants me to do him a favor and bring her back, ...
Yes, it can be done. I'm not sure of the official rules, but I know someone that has done that with her Domincan son, born in the US.

The problem you will encounter is due to the fact that the baby is not yours. You will need some sort of official documentation (probably from both parents) saying that they are allowing you to take the child out of the country.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Just so we get this straight...
You are going to the DR for one week. You stated that your cousin will be with you (in another thread). Is this the same cousin? Where is the mother? Do we assume that the mother is the Amercian citizen or is the father? Are you considered an American citizen or a Dominican citizen (since you stated that you were born in the DR, in another thread) ?
Now, you will be travelling to the DR for a week and returning back to the US with your cousins' baby who has been in the DR for three months. So depending on where the mother is, you must get her to sign a notorized letter allowing you to travel with the baby as well as one from the father, who will be with you in the DR, right? If the father is in the DR , or the mother, could they not get the passport while down there?
Of course, it could be a different cousin altogether and then I am way off base!! LOL
Sorry for the confusing post, but to get accurate info, we need to know a little bit more (don't, of course, give out too much personal info) Citizenship of parents and location would be a great help. Of course, I could be way off and both parents are US citizens just living in the DR?

Marlie

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
Re:

Well i am going on vacation and just doing them the favor so they don't have to pay for a plain tciket just to go and get the baby.
It is a different cousin, the mother and the father are in the US, and they are both legal aliens. I am a US citizen.
I don't have letter as of yet, but they said they went to the Dom. Cunsul in Boston to get it and will bring it to me by the end of this week.
The reason i am asking is because, as you know immigration process could be a little anoying and can take time, and could make you lose your fligtht back. I don't want that to happen since i have to work the next day.
A couple of years ago, my sisters and i ent to DR because of family members deth, since we left in a hurry my baby sister who was 14 at the moment was not able to get a passport. When we return to the US, she only had her B-certificate and we had no problems at all. As we all know this is not the same now, but i don't know that is the situation at the moment..

Again thank you all for your help, as i said before i am leaving on Sat and can't wait. I will be In POP, staying in Allegro Playa Dorada, let me know if any of you are staying around and maybe we can meet..

Thank you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Just be aware that your problem may not be admission to the US by US Immigration but with departure from the Dominican Republic by Dominican authorities. They must confirm that you are legally removing the child from the DR, especially as you are not the person who brought the child into the DR. They may ive you the once over as they may be suspicious that the child traveled into the DR and now is traveling out of the DR without it's parents. They have no way of knowing if the child you are removing is actually the one on the Birth Certificate. That is the reason that children entering the DR without a Passport are supposed to be photographed by Immigration. Was a photo taken on entry?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Okay...

Whoever has the baby now, obviously, a close relative, could they not take the baby to get all these documents and pictures? I would think that the baby is with a legal guardian at the moment who would have this authority? I am sorry, and this is nothing against you playagirl, I just can't understand why the baby at 9 months old is living in the DR without both her parents in the first place. That is a very youing age to be seperated from the parents. I know, I know, it is none of my business. LOL
Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in this situation, hopefully, it does not end up ruining your vacation. Howmar is correct in his view of the situation, I would be more worried about trying to leave the DR without all your t's crossed and i's dotted.
Again, good luck and try to enjoy your trip!
Marlie

playagirl

Feb 8, 2006
I have no idea if the picture was taken when she first went in, i guess i will have to find out. Thanks for the good wishes, but in any case i will just tell them that it is too much hassless and that they need somebody else to do it or get her themselves.
Am not sure what the circumstances were, that they send the baby over there, but i do agree with you a little, but is none of my business either. I am just being nice. If they would have told me about it ahead of time, there will be no problem since i would had have enought time to get all the paper work together.
I guess i will tell them to bring me photo copies of their ids along with the letter and i will make sure i have copies of my passport. In any case i will just not bring her.

Again thank you, i do see what you mean, i do know it is the same baby, but they have no way to find out. I do know that the b-certificate was stamped, i guess i will asked them about the picture, but i think they knew nothing about it since they have not mentioned it.